Motoring Discussion > I'm looking to buy a horse. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 68

I'm looking to buy a horse. - Dog
Well, a workhorse actually, been checking out various flavours, have come up with this critter: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302225457081/

What do my learned friends think of it, especially gordon who knows nearly as much as I do about cars.
(i.e. not much!)

I thought the colour would blend in well with the Cornish hedges :(
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Maisie's Dad
Bit of a trek for you!
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Meldrew
What about a Nissan Cashcow? tinyurl.com/bttobtz
>>Bit of a trek for you!

I could do with seeing England again, before I croak :)

The Cashcow is CVT, Melders, and I'd really prefer a conventional slushbox.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Zero

>> What do my learned friends think of it, especially gordon who knows nearly as much
>> as I do about cars.

Gordon will say it needs an LPG conversion.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - -
>> Gordon will say it needs an LPG conversion.
>>

Gordon wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, seriously overpriced imo and i just don't trust Nissans any more, save the still basic and solid Patrol.

That 05 plate Outlander at Leics appears to still be for sale @£4k with 48k miles, decent spare wheel well takes a 60 litre toroidal LPG tank, probably £1200 for a good conversion.

You could also find a good low miles Forester 2.5XT, get it converted and still come in under well below the X Trails price.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - corax
>> You could also find a good low miles Forester 2.5XT, get it converted and still
>> come in under well below the X Trails price.

Dog wouldn't know which way his beard went if he put his foot down in one of those GB :)
Last edited by: corax on Sun 31 Mar 13 at 11:35
>> What do my learned friends think of it

I like it a lot dog. I have these on my list as a possible replacement, and the petrol has a bit of oomph with none of the diesel problems. The only thing I can see is that the exhaust manifolds corrode around the lambda sensors, which, as it includes the cat costs £1500 according to HJ, but I found you could get cheaper if you shopped around and the worst did happen.

The thing that I like is they look really comfortable - big seats and plenty of space. I think the auto is a Jatco which are good 'boxes.
>>Gordon wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, seriously overpriced imo and i just don't trust Nissans any more

Could be made in Japan gb, I'd pay good wedge for the right motor, regardless of how old.

My previous Almera 1.8 auto was a blinder, I kept it for 4 years which is a long time for me ;)

>>I like it a lot dog

Yes, I read about the Jatco yesterday in Car Mechanics, corax :)

I well remember back in the middle ages when I used to tune the Vauxhall straight sixes,
the exhaust manifold used to burn through to the inlet manifold causing all manner of idling/running problems,
peeps even used to replace the carb in trying to effect a cure.

I'd diagnose it with a simple vacuum gauge.
>> >>Gordon wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, seriously overpriced imo and i just don't trust
>> Nissans any more
>>
>> Could be made in Japan gb, I'd pay good wedge for the right motor, regardless
>> of how old.

I should have re-phrased my first post. I like them, but the one in the ad does seem to be a lot of money. I'll leave the ad reading to the experts 'cos I can't tell much from a computer screen. Although tax band L isn't really low to me. Unless I had Luds money of course.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Manatee
Are we to opine on the equine as an investment, food, transport, or pet?

I do like working horses. As long as you aren't fattening it as food, for the nuclear winter or economic meltdown, I think you should have one.

I haven't checked the link - didn't know AT did livestock though.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 31 Mar 13 at 11:16
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Manatee
Oh, I see. It's an X-trail.

Yes, looks overpriced - do we really think it will do 35mpg? I don't.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - R.P.
Get a CRV at the same price - you can't go wrong.
>>Get a CRV at the same price - you can't go wrong.

Don't like Honda's RiP, can't really say why, I just don't like em.
do we really think it will do 35mpg? I don't. >>

I wish McCarthy wouldn't write rubbish like that on their ads, makes them look like wide boys.
Those Nissan/Fords had deep flaws Dog.
>>Those Nissan/Fords had deep flaws Dog.

I'll have to check them out then Rob, I see a lot of them about in Cornwall, but they've never really appealed to me before :)

And it's GREEN, I must be suffering from early onset dementia ... or a lack of UV light ;)
I love really dark green on proper cars, the darker the better.

BMW do one called Oxford Green, thats nearly there, but MB offer GreenBalck which as as to be one of the loveliest colours on a car.

Its not old age its an appreciation for something other than black silver or battleship grey,or white the new black.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/explorer-1997/?section=bad
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Armel Coussine
Someone here had one of those XTrails a few years ago. Not an elegant vehicle but I suppose you don't expect elegance in this sector. I leaned on its front wing one day and to my surprise it dented in under my weight, then sprang back into shape when I backed off in alarm.

Seems to me plastic body panels are quite a good idea for that sort of car, like the rubber wings on post office vans in the old days. Seemed to be self-coloured too - anyway the paint, if there was any, didn't crack.

I see you Perro in one of those very muscular pickups with double back wheels and hugely flared wheelarches both ends. A supercharged V10 under the bonnet. Pawing the ground with flames coming out of the sidestacks. Just the thing for moving a couple of straw bales or a box of chickens.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Cliff Pope
>>like the rubber wings on post office vans in the old days.
>>

And Beardmore taxis, I think. Weren't they all rubber?
>>I leaned on its front wing one day and to my surprise it dented in under my weight, then sprang back into shape when I backed off in alarm<<

Yeah, my Almera was like that, quite worrying really, the Lancer is a strong un though.

I see you Perro in one of those very muscular pickups with double back wheels and hugely flared wheelarches both ends. A supercharged V10 under the bonnet. Pawing the ground with flames coming out of the sidestacks. Just the thing for moving a couple of straw bales or a box of chickens<<

Might have been at one time Sire, but time catches up with all men eventually, I've had 2 family members croak this year already, one being a much loved brother, so I'm beginning to wonder if I will actually live forever ;)
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Dutchie
Sorry to hear about brother Dog me thinks you wanted a real horse John Wayne style.>:)
How's your brother doing now Dutchie?
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Dutchie
Brother is doing fine Dog he has to go for regular check ups keep my fingers crossed.Sister not very well do,she had two tumours in her stomach cancer.She had a operation but she can't hold her food in.A bit worried about her.Would you believe it all three of us gone through the mill.I am going across in a few weeks to see her.Thanks for asking.
Sorry to hear about your sister, Dutchie, my sister has lived cancer for some years now but she tries to not let it bother her and just gets on with life, she's had 3 bouts of chemo so far :(

Funny ole life :)
>>www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/explorer-1997/?section=bad<<

hehe! you're doing what I usually do Pugley, in posting HJ's what's bad :-)

But what has a Fjord Explorer got to do with a Nissan X Trail ?
>> But what has a Fjord Explorer got to do with a Nissan X Trail ?

He needs a holiday.

As it happens....
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - MD
My mates Missus had one. Low 20's per gallon.
Eh, how about one of dees: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303065644343/
Now that's a better proposition....
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Runfer D'Hills
A bit thirsty maybe? 31 mpg quoted which usually means rather less in reality. Unless you had it Gordon-ed of course.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 1 Apr 13 at 18:20
Thats more like it D, i delivered a good few Vitz like that and found them a decent motor with a lovely auto box, solid little beasts.

The one you linked to doesn't mention previous ownership so i suspect a few.

I believe a 2.4 4 pot petrol was also available, same engine in slightly higher state of tune goes into Kizashi.
A lovely looking and really nice lady i know had the previous model with the V6 petrol, she loved the thing to bits, heavy on the juice mind.

As our mate H recognises.;) gassing is the way to go...tee hee i'm picking up converts/disciples along the way.
>>i'm picking up converts/disciples

I think it's sometimes referred to as "attrition"..

"the military strategy of wearing down the enemy"

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 1 Apr 13 at 18:43
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Alastairw
I think Ted has a Vitara - doesnt seem to have any complaints with it - at least none he has told us about.
>>A bit thirsty maybe?

About the same as the Lancer, plus we don't cover a lot of miles pa.

>>The one you linked to doesn't mention previous ownership so i suspect a few.

Aye, but it is getting on a bit at 7 years old.

>>I think Ted has a Vitara

I was going to say they are Women's cars in the main, but didn't want to offend our Teddy, so I wont.

;-)
Eh, anyone got one of these: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302155357298/

I'm looking to out the duffermobile but most cars bore the nipples orf me Tbh, but at least that model of Lancer looks a tad different.

Yes I know it's a CVT, but I drove a CVT equipped car today and thought, ere, these ain't arf bad as it appens.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - bathtub tom
You said you were hard up a few hours ago:

I like to give the impression that I could do with a few bob - which isn't a million miles from the troof. www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=13761&m=311582
>>You said you were hard up a few hours ago:

Cars 4 years old bathtub, it's an old banger in the final analysis, funny how my Lancer Estate is only 1 year older and only worth £2500 - £3000!
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - ....
Funnily enough while my jalopy was in getting the rear brakes sorted this morning I read a review of 8 family cars in AutoBild from Dec 2012.

Lancer came bottom of the pile which included a Peugeot and a Citroën. KIA Cee'd and Focus were joint second with a Honda Civic coming in 4th, Hyundai i30 was a little way behind which surprised me being the almost identical twin of the Cee'd. I can't for the life of me remember who won the test such was the memorable bunch listed, don't think it was a Golf, in fact I'm sure it wasn't because they were looking at the Golf competition.

The winner scored 514 out of 700 (how weird is that, I remember the score but not the car), the Focus and Cee'd 508 each. Lancer scored mid-400's.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 16 Apr 13 at 16:40
A neighbour has a Nissan Murano 3.5 petrol CVT. He loves it ( 250 bhp allegedly ) but it's a thirsty thing. A good day if it gets more than 20mpg apparently. All manner of toys on it.

Might be alright if Gordoned. ( LPG'd )
>>A neighbour has a Nissan Murano 3.5 petrol CVT. He loves it

I had some fun this morning with a Peugeot iOn electric car Humph, I was quite taken with the thing really and thought it would be ideal for town use - if I could get my commode in the back.

The performance when I hit the loud pedal was highly entertaining, to say the least, and of course it was a CVT box -
they've certainly come on leaps and bounds since the Daf 33.

;-)
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Bromptonaut

>> The performance when I hit the loud pedal was highly entertaining, to say the least,

I think Zeddo said the same about a Nissan Leaf. Occasionally encounter one of those Renault Twizzler things on the commute - it's off like a scalded cat too.
I should imagine the Leaf is better screwed together than the Pug, but then the bod I was chatting with reckons the iOn can be had for £13k 'with a deal' ... I didn't ask him what the deal was as I'm not looking to buy one, yet.
I do sort of get electric cars but you'd have to have a proper car too for the occasions when you actually needed to go somewhere.
Absolutely! ... and another thing, I was sort of semi worrying that I had enough juice in the thing to get me back to base, plus I was also aware that using the heater/blower was having an effect on the remaining juice,
I mean, I could hardly ask someone for a jump start, could I.
>> Absolutely! ... and another thing, I was sort of semi worrying that I had enough
>> juice in the thing to get me back to base, plus I was also aware
>> that using the heater/blower was having an effect on the remaining juice,
>> I mean, I could hardly ask someone for a jump start, could I.

They ought to supply pedals just in case the worst happens.
Could always carry a solar powered mobile phone charger instead of a can of petrol I sup hose.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - sooty123
Wasn't there someone who is test driving an Ampera? I quite like the idea of that type of car not sure how it would work in practice. I saw the Chevy version in the us early this year looks good to my eyes.
>>Wasn't there someone who is test driving an Ampera?

Aye, I can't think who it was now, but he'll be along shortly I'll wager.

The other memorable thing about the iOn was when you turn the ignition key to start the car, and there's absolutely no noise what so ever from the (motor?)

You just get a green 'ready' light up on the dashboard.

Did I mention the turning circle? forget about the Triumph Herald, this thing can turn on a sixpence.

I'd recommend researching leccie cars thoroughly if you were thinking about buying one though.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Bromptonaut

>> The other memorable thing about the iOn was when you turn the ignition key to
>> start the car, and there's absolutely no noise what so ever from the (motor?)
>>

Neighbour has a brace of hybrid Toyotas. Both reverse out of his drive in silence. Engine only starts when significant forward movement is demanded.

Coming into the road the engine cuts out before I can see car from my plot. Would be very easy to step out in front if one relies too much on ears.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Zero
My son had a Leaf for a few days. Not only is the silence a surprise, the instant 0-20 mph acceleration is a real neck snapper.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 16 Apr 13 at 23:27
>>Coming into the road the engine cuts out before I can see car from my plot. Would be very easy to step out in front if one relies too much on ears.

Wonder what happened about all the talk of making electric vehicles audible to peds etc.?
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - TeeCee
A couple of colleagues have ordered the new Mitsu Outlander PHEV. Looking forward to seeing those.

Decent commute range on batteries, 2 litre petrol engine as generator / drive for range and 4WD implemented as electric at the rear and electric / petrol at the front.

Other big plus over the Vampera (see what I did there?) is that it has the expected five seats[1] rather than sacrificing one to fit the batteries in.

Ticks all the boxes.

[1] You could get picky and point out that conventional Outlanders have the option of seven, if you were that way inclined.
www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/first-drives/first-drive-review-mitsubishi-outlander-phev
>>Funnily enough while my jalopy was in getting the rear brakes sorted this morning I read a review of 8 family cars in AutoBild from Dec 2012.

My main priority when choosing a new (used) car is reliability gmac, closely followed by safety,
and the late model Lancer has those attributes in abundance.

I'm sure the Focus and the Cee'd handle better and are more of a drivers car, but I like the Lancer ;)
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - Mapmaker
7 grand for a ten- (OK, nine-) year-old car? You gotta be joking. I'd be looking for one with 100,000 more miles on its clock. (And reading HJ, presumably not a
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - ....
>> My main priority when choosing a new (used) car is reliability gmac, closely followed by
>> safety,
>> and the late model Lancer has those attributes in abundance.
>>
>> I'm sure the Focus and the Cee'd handle better and are more of a drivers
>> car, but I like the Lancer ;)
>>
They were comparing to a Golf, I don't believe handling and B-road blasting were in the remit :-)
From what I remember of the skimming I did, it was based on interior space, fit and finish and general usability. That said the German's are not really fans of Japanese vehicles, to put two French hatches in front of a Honda Civic really would have been pushing the limits of credibility.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 17 Apr 13 at 15:12
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - L'escargot
Ras Prince Monolulu used to shout "I've gotta horse." www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauiVnN1YUU
Would I be deemed a Mad Dog to pay 7 big ones for this 8 year old jalopy!

www.townhallgarage.co.uk/used-cars/honda-cr-v-2-0-i-vtec-executive-5dr-auto-torquay-201316510651124

:-))
I thought that you didn't like CRV's Dog.
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - helicopter
It certainly looks nice Dog, in fact I would not mind it myself .

Its the top Honda EX spec with all the leather, satnav , stamps etc.... the same spec as I have on the Accord but I reckon its about a grand over the top price wise .....

They are also quite pricey to run tax and insurance wise.......

Why not offer em £5 k cash and see what they say .....
>>I thought that you didn't like CRV's Dog.

Well, it's just for me see, the missus drives more-than me these days anyway, while I walk the mutt :)

>>Why not offer em £5 k cash and see what they say .....

I'd like to px my Lancer for it ideally, so of course that puts me at a dis-advantage for starters.

The higher tax & ins. issue is something I'd be prepared to swallow for the 4x4 capability - if we get any snow and ice in Cornwall, only had one dodgy day all winter down here this year, and even that was drivable by 10am
[on winter tyres :)]

I'll have a think about though, might pop down there tomorrow to kick the (Kumho) tyres, the age of the vehicle doesn't bother me, it's how it's been treated/serviced o'er the years that really matters IMO.
Whilst it might appear expensive compared with other similar vehicles its spades ahead in quality and they do hold their price well.

If you can do a deal on it that would make a good long term motor if you're thnking of LPGing it.
I've been looking at the Xtrail/RAV4/Grand Vitara/CRV/Outlander/Forester/Sportage/Hyundai Tucson etc. etc.

They all seem to hold their price well gb, I even got to thinking why on hell do I want to px a 5 year old 40,000m Lancer for an 8 year old 50,000m CRV :)

Chalk from cheese of course - perhaps I should think about buying something sensible for £7,500.

Like a Fiat Panda.

:-D
 I'm looking to buy a horse. - ToMoCo
Anyone who has ever owned a Forester seems to sing their praises. www.futurevehiclesolutions.com/used-cars/subaru-forester-2-0-xt-5dr-glasgow-201310504868320 (a little far from you probably, but looks nice)

Looks to be suitably better value than the more mainstream CRV/RAV4's around.

The various Hyundai's look OK vale too?

I really thought the high RFL costs would start hammering the vale of these older vehicles, but apparently not.
Aye, I'm aware of the praises for the Forester ToMo, and the 2.0 would suit me better than the 2.5 jobbie.

Nice in red IMO: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304196363392/

These are too, but I'm not old enough: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304146264703/

:-))
Oh dear Mr Want and Mr Need, the old rivals !

Would a new car please Mr Want enough to ignore the protestations of Mr Need ? If so, tell Mr need to go and take a holiday...

:-)
Needs must when the devil drives!
Latest Forum Posts