Motoring Discussion > Best motorway servce areas Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 3

Best motorway servce areas - Iffy
Some drivers avoid motorway service areas, according to another thread.

But you and I both know a lot the areas will be packed later on today, so somebody is using them.

This 'just off the motorway look for a pub or supermarket' m'larkey is all very well if you have the time to do it.

I like the large seating areas which means I can get the netbook out and work/play for as long as I want without feeling I'm in anyone's way or being scowled at.

The food and drink at the few service areas I visit has been on the nice side of OK for some years now.

Free wifi is another big attraction to me.

Only problem is the price, although I had a plate of fish and chips at Bowburn on the A1(M) recently which was tasty and good value at £5.95.

My current favourite area is Wetherby on the A1(M), big, airy, shiny and new, and free wifi.

What more could the weary traveller want?

Anyone care to name a favourite station, or put in a good word for them generally?

Last edited by: ifithelps on Sun 23 May 10 at 08:08
 Best motorway servce areas - Pat
Well, having slept overnight on most of them at some point in the past I have to say the noise doesn't worry me now!
Killington Lakes I like for the views while eating, and Tebay for the food.
Michealwood southbound for the squirrels who come and play in the lorry park in the evening and entertain a large group of hard hearted lorry drivers!

Magor for the food but sleeping on a slope means we juggled for a right side parking space depending upon which end your head is:)

Fish & Chips although expensive is usually the safest choice and it's worth noting that at any Roadchef you can asked for your food to be cooked fresh while you wait and they will happily oblige.

Another point Id like to make is that it cost Strensham southbound £1500 per week during the summer for toilet rolls alone.
How many go to the loo and don't buy anything?
That's why we have to pay more for everything else!

Pat
 Best motorway servce areas - Iffy
...that it cost Strensham southbound £1500 per week...

Ah, Strensham.

Used to go there as child on my bicycle with my mates to 'hang out' and play the arcade machines - not many places you could do that in rural Worcestershire.

That was in the early 1970s when the place was run by Kennings and the food was truly dreadful.

There was a separate trucker's cafe on the northbound side, dunno if it was any better in there.
 Best motorway servce areas - Pat
It was pretty good but sadly, it's long gone now.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts