Motoring Discussion > Toyota Auris - On the hunt
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 53

Toyota Auris - On the hunt - sooty123
for an Auris. I've found one an early one (2007). I can't find any major issues. Anyone had one before any issues worth looking out for?
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - Auristocrat
Would help to know whether it is petrol or diesel, and what engine size (1.4, 1.4D, 1.6, 2.0D, 2.2D).
I'm on my second Auris - had a 2009 1.33 and now got a 2012 1.33. Only issue with the 2009 Auris in the 3 years I had it, was a broken passenger side cupholder (fixed under warranty).
Why not visit the Toyota Owners Club (www.toyotaownersclub.com ) and ask the same question in the Auris forum??
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 20 Apr 13 at 17:56
petrol 1.6.

I did have a nosey on there and other sites, couldn't see a great deal to out look for. Just thought I'd ask as I knew there were a couple of current owners on here. A bit last minute asking for advice anyway, off out to have a look at one this afternoon.
No particular issues with the 1.6. Avoid the Multi Mode transmission (MMT) - as it isn't a true automatic (a manual with an electronically controlled clutch), and, as with other similar transmissions, can be troublesome and very expensive to fix.
Have a look at: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/auris-and-auris-hsd/?section=bad - the bit about the oil level (posted 23.11.12) isn't correct (I have highlighted the right info to the HJ site, but they haven't made a correction)
Last edited by: Auristocrat on Sat 20 Apr 13 at 15:05
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - WillDeBeest
The Toyota audio unit is unbelievably, unmusically crap. Lexus offers music by Mark Levinson, so someone at Toyota must think it matters, but whoever that is doesn't write the specs for the cooking models.
ICE is very much a personal like or dislike.
The audio units used in the Auris are made by Panasonic - not Harman/Becker quality but you're not paying Lexus prices for the car.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - Oldgit
I wish Toyota could avail themselves of the interior designers that VW use for their car and then they'd be a good catch.
Admittedly Toyota have addressed the appalling interior that was to be found, I believe, in the first iteration of the Auris? I seem to remember that ghastly upright clumsy handbrake lever? It now looks better, according to the brochure I have just received.
On second thought,s VW designers have done away with conventional handbrakes and replaced them with electronically actuated ones. However will probably be placing my order later this year for delivery next March 1st.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - idle_chatterer
The Auris (still called a Corolla as it is in most markets) is one of the most popular cars in Aus, mainly because of its reputation for reliability and robustness. There's only the 1.8 140PS VVTi engine option here and most are 4 (possibly 5) speed torque-converter automatics. I've driven a fair few examples and have to admit to liking the base-model (steel wheels etc) 1.8 manual which seems (to me) to be fun to punt around and will give up to 40mpg on 91RON cheap petrol IIRC. Ride (despite the torsion-beam rear end) is OK too although the higher profile tyres on the steel wheeled edition over here might have helped.

I think the interior is reasonably good for the money (and I drive a Golf after a string of Audis and BMWs), certainly hard-wearing and well equipped e.g. power-folding mirrors and 4 electric windows on the base model in Aus. I was very tempted to get one as a station/commuter car because they're ubiquity makes them reasonable bargains used.

If you can live with the 'image' I'm sure it will make a decent car.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Sun 21 Apr 13 at 13:13
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - Dog
>>There's only the 1.8 140PS VVTi engine option here and most are 4 (possibly 5) speed torque-converter automatic.

Awful automated manual box here until 2012, then CVT.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - merlin
>> I wish Toyota could avail themselves of the interior designers that VW use for their
>> car It now looks better, according to the brochure I have just received.

Agreed about VW designers however even the latest Toyota interiors don't look good to me. I visited a Toyota dealer today looking at the new Auris. Unfortunately the interior is what's putting me off. It's just not attractive to my eye at least. Shame really as I like the new exterior look, the dealers and the 5 year warranty.

I also took a look at the new Verso. Who's idea was it to put the speedo console in the centre of the dashboard?!

Just wish I could find a car that I really do like.
ICE is very much a personal like or dislike.
Personally, I like it when it's good, dislike it when it isn't.
};---)

I think the price argument is specious. The component cost of even the top-drawer (but not top-price - it's as good as any car system really needs to be) in my old Volvo is probably no more than £200. I doubt the awful thing in our 2008 Verso cost Toyota much less to buy, but like the rest of the interior it was designed by checklist rather than by people checking if it was actually nice to be in and use. And that's my biggest objection to Toyotas.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - Crankcase
Toyota always have the problem, as of course other manufacturers do, of maintaining something between the brands. A top end Auris is about the same price as a low rent Lexus CT, so it's tricky for them to differentiate I guess. Cheap and nasty audio is an easy way to do it, as are things like no power folding mirrors or whatever (no idea if an Auris has those btw).

'ghastly upright clumsy handbrake lever' and ' no power folding mirrors'

The 2010 facelift replaced the handbrake lever with a 'contemporary design' and introduced power folding mirrors across the range.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - corax
>> And that's my biggest objection to Toyotas.

Come on WDB, do you really expect Toyota to put Harman kardon speakers in specially angled door pods in a Verso? The Volvo is exceptional for its sound system and usually the only way to get a good one is to tick the options list e.g Bose or buy a more upmarket car like the aforementioned Lexus.

It's not just Toyota - try Subaru. The speakers are made of cardboard. The speakers in my BMW were made by Nokia and were carp before I changed them. The answer is (usually) simple. Buy an aftermarket head unit and speakers.
I wouldn't insist on top-notch in a Verso, I agree. But I've had and driven supermarket-brand cars with decent audio systems - my 1993 Astra being the one I knew best - that could play a reasonable tune, at least to the extent of knowing which skin the drummer was hitting.

But I was really citing the audio to make a broader point about the Toyota interior. It looks - and is - well made, and four years and 40,000 miles made no apparent impression on ours, but it's a desperately unsatisfying machine to drive because it seems to be so un-human centred.
Well a deal was done. Pick it next weekend. :-)

A bit of SH missing but the deal was a good one I was happy with.

I didn't notice the radio being poor quality it sounded ok to me. But I'm not really a 'musicy' type of person.
Sure you'll be happy with the new car.
Thanks I'm sure it will be a good 'un, it can't be much worse than the Megane it's replacing. Looking forward to next weekend and picking it up :)
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - Londoner
Congratulations sooty! Please give us a report on your impressions once you've driven it for a decent period. :-)
If I'm honest it's not really for me but my gf. But I do intend to drive it as, when we've had it a bit I'll pop a report up.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - ....
Good Luck ! with your new purchase.
Was it specifically a Toyota you were looking for or was it right car, right price, right time ?
>> Good Luck ! with your new purchase.
>> Was it specifically a Toyota you were looking for or was it right car, right
>> price, right time ?
>>

Yes it was an Auris we were after. Something reliable was sought after putting up with an 03 megane with plenty of (some on going) electrical problems. The money was good decent trade in price. The salesman was good as well, not too much messing about selling us stuff we didn't want. Got rid of the 'admin fee' was only £100 more than what I thought was ideal. Plus the garage is close, which is a plus living out in the sticks.
Have you had a Japanese car before or is this a first?

Reason I am asking is I've been looking at Japanese and would be interested in hearing from you if this is a first time experience of a far-east car.

Recent bad experience with Volvo and their main dealers has made me start looking elsewhere...
>> Have you had a Japanese car before or is this a first?
>>
>> Reason I am asking is I've been looking at Japanese and would be interested in
>> hearing from you if this is a first time experience of a far-east car.
>>
>> Recent bad experience with Volvo and their main dealers has made me start looking elsewhere...
>>

Yes first Japanese car. Come to think of it, I think it's only the second Japanese car I've ever driven, inc works cars/ hire cars etc. I'll pop some thoughts on it when we've had it a while.
Good luck, Sooty. General view here is that Toyota dealers are very good, and that was certainly our experience. (Listers, Stratford-upon-Avon.)
It'll be home serviced and being Toyota not too many problems hopefully. So I doubt it'll see a main dealer. Good to know they are thought of highly.
As part of the sales patter we were offered mot and servicing for 2 years for £250. I wouldn't need it, but for those that want dealer servicing I thought it was a pretty good deal. Mot being £50 150 for 2 years servicing is pretty good I thought.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - corax
>> Recent bad experience with Volvo and their main dealers has made me start looking elsewhere...

I think the only car that are going to come close to your Volvo for sound system and seats is a Lexus, but revel in the fact you won't be seeing the dealer often, and when you do it will probably be a pleasant experience.
Funny you should mention Lexus, I've been looking at the IS F. I don't need a lot of passenger space and the engine can fight it out with the stereo for audio space.
That's ... quite a beast...
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - Boxsterboy
I would check that any recalls applicable to this particular car have been done (Toyota have had more than their fair share of recalls recently ...)
Thanks I'd forgot about recalls. Is there a website for recalls against it and a way to check if it's been done?
Found the vosa website, I assume ringing Toyota will check if the recalls have been done?
Might be helpful

www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=Owners-Info-Recall
Just use the Recall Checker on the Toyota site - all you need to know is your registration number.
Just checked it all clear.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - lancara
It major failing is the size and shape of the boot. You have to be a careful packer - large suitcases are out. Anybody with kids requiring pushchairs should check they fit.
Ours preferred to ride in the back seat.
};---)
The boot of the Auris compares well with other C-segment cars: boot sizes (info taken from HJ reviews prices and specs) for example are -

Toyota Auris 354 litres
Ford Focus (<2011) 316 litres
Vauxhall Astra 351 litres
VW Golf VI (>2012)350 litres
Fiat Bravo 361 litres
Mazda 3 340 litres
Hyundai i30 (>2012) 340 litres
Kia Ceed (>2012) 340 litres
Seat Leon (>2012) 341 litres
Peugeot 308 348 litres.

Nothing wrong with the shape either. Depending how 'large' your suitcases are, you would probably struggle with any of these.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - McP
I had problems with the boot shape with one of these hired in NZ.
Only one of our two suitcases would go in.

Same suitcases go in the boots of Ceed, 307, new Fiesta and just about into a K12 Micra.

It was a great car in all other aspects.
Just something to be aware of if you don't travel light.
I can get two of my partner's massage tables in the boot of my Auris without folding the rear seats and with the parcel shelf in place. With the rear seats folded and the parcel shelf out I've carried six - three in the boot space and three on the rear seat backs.
There are issues with the Hybrid where the batteries, being beneath the boot, reduce the boot space to 279 litres.
The batteries are beneath the removable floor of the boot but to one side. There is a tray beneath the boot floor for odds and ends and presumably Toyota are including that in the overall volume.
 Toyota Auris - On the hunt - Londoner
>> There are issues with the Hybrid where the batteries, being beneath the boot, reduce the
>> boot space to 279 litres.
>>
Yes, and make the boot a slightly odd shape as well. However, the new Auris has fixed even that. Top class company, Toyota. They make good cars for real people (but not always to the taste of some journalists who think that they know everything)
Last edited by: Londoner on Sun 21 Apr 13 at 22:24
The problem is the distance between the back of seat and the boot lid. HJ quotes two figures - 354 in the road test and 279 in the "prices and specs". Having owned a Kia cee_d and now the Auris I assure you there is no way that they are similar in size. I struggle to get much more than a sports bag, backpack, and laptop in the latter
No in fact HJ quotes two figures in the prices and specs - 354 for the Auris petrol and diesels (which relates to the Auris that Sooty123 has bought and also the two that I have had), and 279 for the HSD, which is the Hybrid version with the batteries under the boot floor. All Auris have a two position rear seat back where you can have the rear seat backs in a more upright position with an increase of about 3cm between the tailgate and the top of the rear seat backs, or a more reclined position. The boot measurement of 354 is when the seat backs are in the more reclined position.
354 litres is also the boot measurement that Toyota quote in the 2009 Auris brochure and the 2012 Auris brochure - there was a seperate brochure for the Auris HSD Hybrid. There is no tray for oddments beneath the boot floor for any petrol or diesel Auris - only the spare wheel/tools - so as per any other car manufacturer, this area won't be included in the boot measurement
Just picked up. All the body work was done, well done to my eye couldn't see any of the work done. Has to go back as they forgot to regas the aircon, ah well.
Anyway on to the car, a bit noiser on the way back than on the test drive but not bad. Happy to rev I seem to use too many revs getting away, but I believe it is a electronic throttle, of which I've only driven one and did the same then. Takes a bit of getting used to as there is no slack in the cable. Well speced with airbags even in the rear, first time I've bought a car with this many airbags. Radio seemed fine to my ears, looks (not sure if it is) as in the corolla.
Nice dash layout, with just the needle showing with centre for various gauges, odo, clock. Seems quite large inside for it's size. Boot does seem a little smaller but not a drama small. We don't carry suitcases very often and if we do we take mine anyway.
Sadly problems already ABS warning light on. Thought all these electrical problems ended when we got rid the Megane, clearly not yet... *sigh*
 Toyota Auris - Problems - sooty123
It seems there is some availability problem of parts, and a bit of confusion over what part is needed. At first it seems it was an ABS sensor now it appears to be a wheel bearing. I'm not sure how a wheel bearing can bring up a ABS warning light? If anyone else is the wiser, please someone explain, I'm at a bit of a loss. I thought they were all phonic wheel/speed sensors?
I'd add that the whole faff isn't helped by the dealership, phone calls not returned, changing stories, the need to retell the whole story to every person there, does no-one in a car dealership talk to each other?
A bumpy start to the new car...
 Toyota Auris - Problems - Zero
Iffy wheel bearings can inject spurious spikes into sensor cables, and earthing problems.
In what manner? Not that I disbelieve you, I'm just curious.
There aren't the typical rumbling noises from them.
I'm also sus it might have happened before one of the blokes that looked at it reckoned it had both front sensors changed.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 1 May 13 at 13:07
>> In what manner?

In an electrical emf manner. Tyres generate a lot of static.

Toyota Auris - Problems - Number_Cruncher
>>In what manner?

He's pulling your leg sooty.

Instead of reluctor rings, most modern wheel bearings incorporate a toothed magnetic wheel in their construction. So, it's possible that the wheel bearing has been fitted the wrong way round (you can't see the magnetic wheel from outside the bearing), or that the magnetic wheel has become damaged.
Combined both parts into one, not seen that one before. Thanks NC, filled in a few blanks there.
>> >>In what manner?
>>
>> He's pulling your leg sooty.

He's not.

Latest Forum Posts