Motoring Discussion > 80's London West area accident recoveries Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 27

80's London West area accident recoveries - -
He has a selection of videos, any of you lot featured?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ama2w_rK1hs
 80's London West area accident recoveries - Londoner
Good God! The 2cv on its side looks like it is made out of cardboard.
Policemen that don't look like the SAS and with a sense of humour, well dressed policewoman in one of the videos..;)

Hardly a Hi Viz or safety helmet in sight, how did they manage, H&S bods swooning at the injustice of it.

I liked the 80's.
 80's London West area accident recoveries - Runfer D'Hills
Seem to have managed to keep the roads open too while they did it. How did any of us survive? No airbags, no ABS, no traction control, some people, no really it's true, some even smoked while driving y'know. Seems preposterous now of course because everyone knows that carnage would ensue if anyone were so irresponsible now...
 80's London West area accident recoveries - Alanovich
>> Seem to have managed to keep the roads open too while they did it. How
>> did any of us survive? No airbags, no ABS, no traction control, some people, no
>> really it's true, some even smoked while driving y'know. Seems preposterous now of course because
>> everyone knows that carnage would ensue if anyone were so irresponsible now...

You know what, Humph? I get a bit cheesed off with this lazy nonsense being trotted out about the good old days. The truth is, far more people were killed and maimed on the roads in the good old days. You may not have been, AC may not have been, but many were not so unlucky. I don't think anyone can, with a straight face, suggest that the roads are no more safe now than they were in 1980. The numbers of dead and injured speak for themselves.
Darwins theory AV, maybe better for the rest of us, particularly more vulnerable roads targets, when those who couldn't didn't repeat...;)
My father, killed on the roads in 1983, was a very competent driver, and biker, thanks very much.
I'm sorry to hear that AV.

Bikers in particular though, i wonder if their prospects are any better now than they were in those days.

Cars vans lorries have themselves become safer for their passengers in the event of accident, i'm unsure about the progress with lorries having the desired overall effect for several reasons though thats for another discussion, but cyclists and bikers seem to be just as badly off as they were back in those days.
Had the Austin Princess which reversed over my Dad been fitted with parking sensors, perhaps the driver would have stopped before hearing the thump.

Just one example of the potential benefits of improvements in safety and associated devices, and indeed, regulations. As I say, the numbers speak for themselves. Not everyone who was killed in the old days was an incompetent, rather many were the victims of such. So your comment, whilst I know it was flippant and meant light heartedly, is quite disturbing to someone on the receiving end. Same goes for Humph's casual dismissal for improvements in road safety.

Sorry to be a miserabilst, and I know you two chaps don't mean to be hurtful, but there you go.
Dreadful thing to happen AV.

No neither of us meant any malice, sorry if my flippant remark triggered a bad memory...i have a similar weak spot concerning the death of my son and when his manner of death is portrayed on films as it often is then...well lets say i know how you feel, and no time doesn't heal it the pain is as bad today as it was 12 years ago.

In the case of the Princess that was a modern if ugly contempory shape with dreadful rear visibility, i know i had one, i suspect the person at the wheel of it would be as incompetent today if they are still driving in just about anything else.
 80's London West area accident recoveries - Zero
>> Had the Austin Princess which reversed over my Dad been fitted with parking sensors, perhaps
>> the driver would have stopped before hearing the thump.
>>
>> Just one example of the potential benefits of improvements in safety and associated devices, and
>> indeed, regulations.

The majority of cars are still not fitted with reversing sensors, nor are they mandated as a statutory requirement. I don't have any for example but I don't expect to run over over anyone because I look properly

You have to accept your view is, naturally, coloured by personal experience. You have to accept our views are not.. No-one deserves a slap over it, you are not the only one to loose a father.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 23 Apr 13 at 11:08
If you think that's a slap, Zero, then you're being far more sensitive than you accuse me of being. I am more than aware that I am not alone, and I have no idea why you would assume that I do.
because you don't act like it
Wot, because I mention it occasionally on a motoring forum, when it's pertinent to the subject at hand?

Have another * eye roll smiley *.
 80's London West area accident recoveries - Bromptonaut
>> Wot, because I mention it occasionally on a motoring forum, when it's pertinent to the
>> subject at hand?
>>
>> Have another * eye roll smiley *.

Don't take too much notice A. He's busy under the bridge today.
which bridge is that?
 80's London West area accident recoveries - bathtub tom
>> which bridge is that?

I presumed he meant the one the billy goats gruff went clippety clopping over.

;>)
 80's London West area accident recoveries - Cliff Pope

>>
>> The majority of cars are still not fitted with reversing sensors, nor are they mandated
>> as a statutory requirement. I don't have any for example but I don't expect to
>> run over over anyone because I look properly
>>

I nearly reversed into my mother in 1967. I was just about to reverse down the drive when she suddenly stepped out thinking it would be a good idea to wipe the rear window for me.
The rear of the car was a virtual total blind spot, the crazed perspex window in the hood measuring about 24" by 4".
 80's London West area accident recoveries - BiggerBadderDave
"I nearly reversed into my mother in 1967."

I nearly reversed into my mother in 1967 too. I was already 3 weeks late and wanted to stay there.
 80's London West area accident recoveries - No FM2R
Not as far back as the 80s, but this makes interesting reading....

www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/sep/28/road-deaths-great-britain-data
IIRC, in the early 80s over 3000 were killed on the roads every year.
 80's London West area accident recoveries - Bromptonaut
3k per annum was the ball park figure until fairly recently. More like 5k pre compulsory seatbelts etc.

The Guardian published stats Mark linked too are particularly interesting from a couple of points of view. They also avoid being conflated with seriously injured, a term which basically covers anything needing a hospital admission. Result of course is brain injury or amputation mixing with broken wrists or even 'observation'.

(a) They confirm the point that cycling mile/mile carries broadly the same risk of death as walking and that the number of ped deaths involving cycles is negligible. Would be interesting to see the comparable numbers for serious/life changing injury.

(b) The numbers for 60mph limits confirm that (mostly) rural A/B roads are by some length the most dangerous after the urban melee at 30.
 80's London West area accident recoveries - bathtub tom
>> Not as far back as the 80s, but this makes interesting reading....
>> www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/sep/28/road-deaths-great-britain-data

I recall a regular bank holiday news item back in the '70s was the number of road accident fatalities. Usually 15-20 a day IIRC.
>> He has a selection of videos, any of you lot featured?

The 80's?, I don't see a duck pond in any of the clips so its not me.
 80's London West area accident recoveries - Ted

They were, and still probably are, our West London recovery agents. I used to give them a lot of work, day and night.

Nice guys to deal with.

Ted
 80's London West area accident recoveries - Boxsterboy
Yes, lots of roads that are very familiar to me in those clips.
 80's London West area accident recoveries - crocks
Thanks gb. Lots of locations I know well. Especially the last one where a milk float was hit on the A3.

Even today with a reduced speed limit it can be a full-welly shut-your-eyes-and-go entry onto the A3. Not a place to be in a milk float!
 80's London West area accident recoveries - crocks
This video is a selection of stills from the same guy.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pruVBh0i7iI

Disturbing and fascinating. Plenty of business for them on the A3.
Latest Forum Posts