Motoring Discussion > Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stevek100 Replies: 21

Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - Stevek100
Hi Everyone

Car change time and will either be a Nissan 360 with the new 1.6D engine or a IX35 1.7 Premium.
I like the nIssan but can get a much better deal on the Hyundai plus the 5 year warranty.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated especially from current owners of these cars?
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - mikeyb
The 5 year warranty is relevant if you are keeping the car beyond 3 years, otherwise discount it from your thoughts.

Which do you really like the most? Dependent on price i'd go with your favorite unless the price gap is huge. What have you been offered?
Nissan around £20K and hyundai around £17.5K. Nissan is probably the better car but the hyundai does all that I want.
I prefer the dash layout of the ix35 but reviews say it is a noisy car at speed.
Solution is for me to test both.
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - BobbyG
I don't own either but have looked at both as a possible replacement for my Altea, however decided to keep my own car for a variety of reasons.

Of the two, I prefer the looks of the QQ, the chunkiness and the solidity. However as a dog owner, the parcel shelf is not a retractable one which would be a pain in the neck to remove all the time. Also, the QQ doesn't come with a spare wheel which would be fair enough of it had a huge boot as a result. However under the mat is an alloy wheel sized lump of foam. I suppose you could buy a wheel to put it in but if not, with a bit of carpentry skill you could possible make a sub floor storage compartment but the foam actually supports the weight of the bootfloor so some thought would be required.
The 1.6 came out a couple of years ago and was supposed to replace the 1.5 but for some reason it was hugely dearer than the 1.5 and also didn't seem to be actively marketed by Nissan for some reason.

My boss has an ix35 - the 1.7 is more fuel efficient than the 2.0. Cars have suffered from a fuel filter fault which results in the engine shutting down (in my bosses case whilst doing 60mph in the outside lane of the M74). Car has loads of eqpt in Premium and it has a sliding / tilting sunroof (think the QQ is maybe just a glass roof as opposed to it oipening?). If you get the media pack you get a better stereo and rear view camera (can tell these by the radio being bigger and also a wee rubber block just above the rear number plate that houses the camera).
Boot has a full size alloy wheel and also retractable cover.

QQ is due to be replaced in the next year or so, the ix35 has been out for a while and prices do seem keener. For a while there, there was a glut of ex management cars (all had prefix EK or EX) and these were int he region of 6k miles and were on the forecourt for £16800 ish for non media, and £17.5k for media packs.

But having said that, have never driven either so thats about all my knowledge!
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - WillDeBeest
Solution is for me to test both.

Yep, nothing we can tell you will help as much as that. You need to know whether you can get comfortable, see out properly, work the radio. An up-market saloon I drove recently was horribly noisy at low speeds, which would have put me right off if I'd been thinking of buying one; a review might have mentioned the noise, but not how it made me feel.

So your 'better deal' on a Hyundai is only that if it buys you a car you will enjoy more, and it's worth putting in the time to find out. Ask our own l'Escargot about arranging a proper test drive.
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - rtj70
Thread drift but in response to: "the parcel shelf is not a retractable one which would be a pain in the neck to remove all the time"... the new Octavia has a folding parcel shelf in the hatch. Very clever.

Back to these cars, I don't rate the looks of the Nissan Qashqai personally. I think the Hyundai is the better looking car. Never driven either. And that's what I would need to do if I were you when deciding.

Also, what's depreciation like? The Hyundai might be cheaper to buy initially but how about value retained after 3 years?
Spent 400 miles in a hired ix35 last year. TBH I didnt like it, but I have a leaning towards germanic interiors, and there is very little from the far east that floats my boat.

I found it a little noisy and unrefined, but have never drive a squashy to compare
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - legacylad
Wife of a friend has a new shape Kia Sportage. She tells me that under the skin it is the same as an iX35. Im not sure how accurate that info is.
As an aside, I recently drove 200 miles with her hubby, my best pal. He has an '06 X5 diesel, 182k miles on the clock, owned from new, and like a skip inside! I was both amazed and impressed at the lack of squeaks, rattles etc given its very hard life. Sweet as a nut engine and still refined lolloping along quite serenely at an indicated 90mph. He tells me it is now worth peanuts and will run it into the ground, which could be in many years time.
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - Runfer D'Hills
The Hyundai may well be a very good car but I can't comment having never been in one. I can though recommend the Qashqai. I previously had a 2.0d auto and my wife currently has a 1.6 manual petrol and neither could be fairly criticised if that's the flavour of car you fancy.
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - legacylad
Neighbour of mine changed his V70 D5 four months ago for a QQ. Tells me he is very pleased with it.
...I can't comment having never been in one.
Humph, this is Web 2.0. Where would we be if everyone took that attitude? Buck your ideas up, man!
Aye true !
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - Skip
. I can though recommend the Qashqai. I previously had a 2.0d auto
>> and my wife currently has a 1.6 manual petrol and neither could be fairly criticised
>> if that's the flavour of car you fancy.
>>

Expensive replacement door mirrors though ! :-)
Indeed.
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - Stuartli
>>Wife of a friend has a new shape Kia Sportage. She tells me that under the skin it is the same as an iX35. Im not sure how accurate that info is.>>

The two firms basically operate under the same umbrella - Hyundai has a large stake in Kia.
 Nissan Qashqai - Nissan or Hyundai IX35 which to choose - Old Navy
KIAs are heavily badge engineered Hyundais. KIA is a Hyundai brand and their parts division is named Mobis.

Much the same setup as VW / AUDI / SEAT / Skoda.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 26 Apr 13 at 18:16
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the input and I think it will be a QQ. Looking at AT I can get one for around £18K so thats what I will investigate.

Interesting about the fuel filter and its amazing what bad publicity can do. Just Googling found several pages of dissatified customers and I am amazed that Hyundai/Kia UK have not made some sort of response along the lines of

"Yes we had a problem-It was due to XX and we have now resolved it. For details contact YY".

This would counter all the negative messages to some degree. In my case I have gone from strongly considering an IX35 to now having the mindset "If they cant get a filter right then I dont want this hastle" and completely now not considering the IX35. Its a loss of £17.5K to then and its only one sale but what poor publicity.

So thanks for all your comments.

PS How much is a wing mirror out of interest? I would have thought about £100. Tell me I am correct!

Thanks
£339 fitted. More if it needs paint.
Ouch-and on the 360 the housing also incorporates a camera>

Will have to take great care of this aspect.
You're buying a 360? The one whose mirror housing is lined with unicorn feathers and lubricated with panda sperm? Brave man indeed!
};---)
>>Brave man indeed!

Oh he'll be ok as long as he doesn't let my wife drive it.
>> >>Brave man indeed!
>>
>> Oh he'll be ok as long as he doesn't let my wife drive it.
>>

Or meets her on the other side of the road
Latest Forum Posts