Motoring Discussion > GEM Breakdown Cover Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 5

GEM Breakdown Cover - Falkirk Bairn
I have been with them 5+ years, called them once and their contractor got the car going + their refund was very swift.

Renewal came in last week, £88 - previously it had been in the £60's and last year it was just under £70. (Cover is for 2 people driving any car + home start i.e. the full monty except European cover)

Trawled the comparison sites - GEM is £88 and amongst the cheapest but offer £20 M&S vouchers for new customers. Phoned and they won't budge for existing punters..

Looks like SWMBO will need to apply to join for £88 and get £20 to spend in M&S - we will even get some Tesco points going through tescocompare.com.

UNLESS any of you know of a better offer.
 GEM Breakdown Cover - martint123
I gave up with Gem some years ago after their creeping increases. Went to Autoaid.
I think my renewal was £36, but looks like £39 for new punters. Never had a problem with them. Similar pay & claim as Gem. Cover is any vehicle owned or travelling in. Self and spouse (not partner).
www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/breakdown-cover
Last edited by: martint123 on Sun 28 Apr 13 at 10:24
 GEM Breakdown Cover - bathtub tom
Autoaid?

www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

edit. martint123 beat me to it.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sun 28 Apr 13 at 10:25
 GEM Breakdown Cover - Auristocrat
In the latest Which? report (Sept 2012) the three Best Buys were Britannia Rescue (score 73% - based on waiting times, roadside repairs and customer satisfaction), AA (72%) and GEM (69%).
RAC have dropped to 6th place.
Green Flag narrowly missed being a 'Don't Buy' - quote:
"Green Flag offered the lowest listed price for roadside recovery, at £23, while Auto Aid’s
£38 package was the most competitive price for breakdown, recovery and home start.
But, given both of their poor performances for roadside repairs (just one star each), we
don’t think they offer the best value."
Admiral scored so poorly Which? advise not taking cover with them.

Cashback (up to £20 depending on policy) is available on GEM through Quidco.com.
 GEM Breakdown Cover - Stuartli
I add RAC full cover to my VW comprehensive warranty for a ridiculously low cost...:-)
 GEM Breakdown Cover - Bill Payer
>> I add RAC full cover to my VW comprehensive warranty for a ridiculously low cost...:-)
>>
VW really hack me off by only giving 1 yr cover with new cars. Was 5yrs on the SEAT we had before the VW (mind you the SEAT needed it!). I wrote and complained and they said many people had coverage through premium bank accounts etc (obviously I'm the wrong sort of owner :) ) but then said Touareg and Phaeton do have 3yrs cover, so their explanation is complete rubbish.

On 3 of our cars, Mercedes, Honda and Mitsubishi, full pan-European assistance cover is renewed each time the car is dealer serviced. The Merc one is actually a bit limited in its scope but the Honda and Mitsubishi coverage looks very comprehensive.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sun 28 Apr 13 at 22:49
Latest Forum Posts