Motoring Discussion > Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 23

Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - Robin O'Reliant
And all were apparently unhurt -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fj32O29Sc
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - Bromptonaut
Stunt?
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - No FM2R
That's a bit mean, he only started a thread about the cyclists' accident, he didn't actually run them down himself..
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 20:15
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - Zero
staged then
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - Armel Coussine
It did occur to me too. Something too measured about the impact. A biker would be looking where he was going on a bend,
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - Fullchat
Looks real enough to me. Biker just straightening up after bend. For some reason didn't see the narrow profile of the cyclists. Bit like why so many vehicles pull out infront of motorcycles.
>> Looks real enough to me. Biker just straightening up after bend. For some reason didn't
>> see the narrow profile of the cyclists. Bit like why so many vehicles pull out
>> infront of motorcycles.

And the camera just happened to be following him?

Why, after exiting the bend, would he move to the edge of the carriageway where the surface is likley to be poor? Could be moving over for view round a coming left hander but looks extreme even for that.
The camera was on a vantage point. Maybe its some 'twistys' frequented by the biking fraternity.
Dunno, just an opinion.
>> Looks real enough to me. Biker just straightening up after bend. For some reason didn't
>> see the narrow profile of the cyclists.

He was going well slow, so had complete control of exiting the bend.
>> For some reason didn't see the narrow profile

What reason though? He would have been aware of them already anyway. And what was he doing almost on the road verge? I'm not a biker but I don't think I would have been out there.

But: if those cyclists agreed to do that without payment they were pretty dedicated... so perhaps you're right Fc.
Next bend could have been a left hander in which case he'd have moved to outside to extend the view and open up the bend. If concentrating on the next bend missed what was happening under his nose, so to speak.
Potentially a lot of injury and damage for a stunt.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 20:49
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - Westpig
>> Next bend could have been a left hander in which case he'd have moved to
>> outside to extend the view and open up the bend. If concentrating on the next
>> bend missed what was happening under his nose, so to speak.
>> Potentially a lot of injury and damage for a stunt.
>>

That would be my take as well.

What stunt man would want a motorcycle ramming him up his derriere like that..he could break his back.
Well then, they're all very lucky and the biker's you know, one of those things you can't name.
>> he'd have moved to
>> outside to extend the view and open up the bend. If concentrating on the next
>> bend missed what was happening under his nose,

It seems to me that the biker might have done that if he was going quickly, but he wasn't really. Just bimbling along. No need to use all the road or even much of it.

Perhaps he did it on purpose and the cyclists were just innocent victims. That would be pretty gung-ho behaviour too.

There is something a bit odd about the clip.
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - ToMoCo
>> There is something a bit odd about the clip.

I agree, but can't quite work it out.

If it was staged then they are bonkers. That first cyclist to get hit especially when you see it slowed down.
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - Slidingpillar
My view is the biker was starting to have an accident before he hit the cyclists. Motor bike is just beginning to run off the tarmac and onto the dirt.
To me, I cant see any signs, movement or body language to suggest that last straightening movement was to prevent a spill, cant see any throttle shut off. Also it wasn't canted over much or going fast to suggest a spill was imminent.

Its that lack of speed that suggests to me it was staged.

There's a longish thread over on CycleChat discussing this one. Disproves my staged stunt theory as it names the location in CA/USA and points to other videos at same site.

Perhaps a US version of the Cat & Fiddle. Enough displays of skill or stupidity to keep a You Tube poster busy.

www.cyclechat.net/threads/motorcycle-crashes-into-cyclists.129227/

Includes quite a bit of commentary from those whose 2 wheeled passion extends to the powered variety.
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - ....
Probably a combination of things:
Ageing eyes
Tinted visor
Light coloured asphalt
Cyclist in light colour clothing on a light coloured bike.

Camera looks to flatten out what looks like quite a climb, the pedal pushers are giving it some effort by the look of it. Looks like the biker goes on the brakes just before impact as the front does dive a bit more than I'd expect from a straight throttle off on a hill.
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - TheManWithNoName
Nasty footage and i would say undoubtably real.
Judging by how the biker lands heavily, its not a staged event using a stuntman.
The trailing cyclist lands heavily on his neck - its amazing he didnt snap his spine. Hardly something you'd want to stage and risk permanent paralysis or death for if its in aid of a million hits on YouTube!
 Biker Takes Out Two Cyclists - Ted

Rider fell asleep or passed out ?

I fell asleep on a bike once...........middle of a night shift. Good job I was parked up and no-one around to laugh !

Ted
Another possibility is diesel on the road. That would make a biker tiptoe and run wide, without the possibility of braking or accelerating.
Someone made a good point about 'target fixation'. At the point where the rider may have spotted the cycles the bike suddenly straightens up and from that point rides straight into the rear cyclist. Had he remained on his original course and lean angle he would have passed them.
Some good examples here:

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MRYb0vGW8AQ

And here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up2UvuRLdTE&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 3 May 13 at 12:30
Latest Forum Posts