Motoring Discussion > Opie Oils Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 37

Opie Oils - Dog
I've seen them mentioned on HJ and PistonHeads so decided to order 5 litres of Millers XF Longlife C3 5w-30.

I placed the order on Monday and it was delivered today (Wednesday) for £37 inc. delivery.

www.opieoils.co.uk/
 Opie Oils - -
Never bought from them (no supply probs round here for good stuff) but i've often read Opie's oil useful advice on forums and have read the interesting articles on their website.

Fair price incl delivery that D, don't suppose factors who sell Millers/Fuchs etc off the shelf at decent prices are exactly on every street corner down your way.

edit, my lads Scooby was fitted with 10W60 Millers competition oil, as recommended by the Scooby rally racer who prepared it, considering the thrashing it had during which entire gears were stripped from the box nothing every went wrong engine wise.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 8 May 13 at 14:44
 Opie Oils - Dog
Opie oils is in Cornwall (Redruth) but it's cheaper to have it delivered by Fed Ex.

>>lads Scooby was fitted with 10W60 Millers competition oil

That must have cost him! .. why do they call em Scooby Doos, almost as bad as calling Dobermanns Dobies!!

Opie Oils - -
ISTR he used to pay £50 for 5 litres and the geezer threw in a filter so good value really.

No idea why Scooby, its probably a generation or car use thing where the /sporty/hooligan element give 'em the nickname.
 Opie Oils - CGNorwich
rhyming slang innit

Scooby Doo,

Subaru
 Opie Oils - Dog
>>rhyming slang innit

Scooby Doo,

Subaru

Hahaha! ... well I'll be dog-gone!
 Opie Oils - corax
>> edit, my lads Scooby was fitted with 10W60 Millers competition oil, as recommended by the
>> Scooby rally racer who prepared it, considering the thrashing it had during which entire gears
>> were stripped from the box nothing every went wrong engine wise.

Interesting piece from someone called BAC5.2 about gearbox strength here. I think the conclusion is that they are adequate for purpose but really need rebuilding with stronger gears for seriously uprated engines.

www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/manual-transmission-faq-14804/
Last edited by: corax on Wed 8 May 13 at 18:08
 Opie Oils - -
>> Interesting piece from someone called BAC5.2 about gearbox strength here.

That man knows his onions.

The lad stripped the third gearset completely twice.

The problem being to get the stronger box from the later model required changing some of the rest of the drivetrain to, including hubs i believe, i know the car cost him many thousands in work upkeep and repairs.

He freely admits it being his own fault, and having been (once was enough) a passenger in his car the sheer cruelty to the car was shocking, i really couldn't do that to a car and it was only amazing it lasted as long as it did.

He had an original RA spec, with variable centre diff running approx 350bhp and weighing in under a ton it was little short of terrifying, the road grip being something i have never experienced and don't wish to repeat.

He sold it to a chap from Czechoslovakia who got a mate to drive him from there to collect the car!!, and quite honestly i'm glad he no longer has the thing...though its been replaced by a KCM RC8 motorbike..and you wonder why i'm grey..:-)
 Opie Oils - corax
>> though its been replaced by a KCM RC8 motorbike..and you wonder why i'm grey..:-)

Oh my Gawd.

You'll just have to hope that he calms down a bit, although some people never do.

Perhaps he should get into Top Fuel drag racing :)
 Opie Oils - bathtub tom
>> though its been replaced by a KCM RC8 motorbike..and you wonder why i'm grey..:-)

What colour was your dad's hair.................and why?
 Opie Oils - -
>> What colour was your dad's hair.................and why?

Yer might have got me there Tom...;)

I recited my dads words to my lad only a few weeks ago, i was once telling the kids off for something many years ago when they were little, my dad was there, he took me to one side and reminded me that i used to do things that would turn your hair white...all that in his lovely old country Cheshire (Tarporley) accent.

Luckily he still had a good covering of hair as i do, i started going grey at 21 so sort of used to it now.

Opie Oils - Manatee
I've just ordered 5L. of Millers Trident 5W30 semi synthetic for the MX5, £18.50 delivered from an ebay vendor.

It'll get changed about every 3,000 miles.

Lutterworth Motor Spares used to keep lots of Millers, but I rang them this morning and they are clearing it out. Maybe some bargains if anybody is nearby. I'll probably call in myself when I'm up that way. They didn't have any of the Trident non-Longlife left.
 Opie Oils - Dog
I used to use Magnatec semi-syn in my Lancer but, when I changed to full synthetic I noticed that the engine stayed quieter for longer, and it was quieter on cold start ups too.
This wasn't just my imagination either because being I'm OCD/ADD/ADHD/ASD/SAD, I always start the car from outside and listen to my engine (strange but true)

Full synthetic stays 'in grade'.

Eh, I'd better explain I suppose, I start the car from the outside, then let it warm up while I clean orf the windows and open the gate, wasting precious fuel in the meantime.

:3-]
 Opie Oils - corax
I'll be ordering from the very same place soon. Still weighing up whether to use Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w 40 which is very good or Fuchs Pro S but I think the latter may be a bit overkill for my engine, being an unstressed version of the Impreza 2.0 turbo.

tinyurl.com/cylo2x3

tinyurl.com/d8aswpb

Really there's too much choice :)
 Opie Oils - Dog
Castrol site recommends Edge 5w 40 for my Scooby doo, so the Fuchs Titan 5w 40 looks like a goer.
 Opie Oils - Shiny
I used to use them, and still would for hard to get stuff, but recently the prices are too high, even with the offers. e.g. Diesel fuel filter is £59 +shipping (£1 atm) and £39 from Eurocarparts with free shipping or collect. Both MAHLE.
 Opie Oils - Lygonos
Subaru recommend 5W30 for their petrol engines but plenty of people use 5W40 especially if the engine has had a bit of tuning.

Also I found some genuine Subaru oil filters for about 8 quid on the bay (They are surprisingly small!)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 8 May 13 at 19:26
 Opie Oils - Dog
I paid 14 squid for my oil filter (a black one) blue ones are much cheaper?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Genuine-Original-BLACK-Oil-Filter-for-Impreza-Legacy-Forester-LTD-/350575434365?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160
 Opie Oils - corax
>> I paid 14 squid for my oil filter (a black one) blue ones are much
>> cheaper?

Opinion among owners is that the blue ones are inferior quality. I was concerned enough to order a black one from your link dog, although I might consider UFI filters next time, as they are supplied by Opie and seem good quality.

EDIT - every time I drive the car I like it more and more. Such a great driving machine :)
Last edited by: corax on Thu 9 May 13 at 19:12
 Opie Oils - Dog
>>Opinion among owners is that the blue ones are inferior quality

I did think that corax, plus the fact the one fitted by the pain dealer at the last service is the same as the one I ordered.

>>I might consider UFI filters next time

An unknown quantity to me but, I'll have to check em out.

>>Such a great driving machine

And some! - too good to be called 'a car' though.

:o)
 Opie Oils - Zero
14 squids for an oil filter? lord give me strenght. Thats a rip off.
 Opie Oils - Harleyman
>> 14 squids for an oil filter? lord give me strenght. Thats a rip off.
>>

I'd sooner pay top dollar for the right oil and filter than top dollar for a rebuilt engine.
 Opie Oils - Zero
Yeah but there is no need to pay over the top for a name printed on a filter made by someone else.
 Opie Oils - Dog
It's like my 15 year old Arcam amp, it needs new potentiometers (pots)

Arcam jobbies are expensive.

If I were source aftermarket jobbies, I feel that they wouldn't perform as well as the genuine Arcam pots.

I'm the same with cars, I sleep better at nights knowing I've fitted genuine Subaru parts to my Subaru car.

Cost doesn't enter the equation, for me.
 Opie Oils - Manatee
>> It's like my 15 year old Arcam amp, it needs new potentiometers (pots)
>>
>> Arcam jobbies are expensive.
>>
>> If I were source aftermarket jobbies, I feel that they wouldn't perform as well as
>> the genuine Arcam pots.

Well, they weren't very good, were they?

My Technics ones all work and they are at least that old.
 Opie Oils - Dog
Long story Manatee ... Lived in a converted barn at the time with a multi-fuel stove, wifey used to put the clothes horse in front of the fire making the air very humid, it never dawned on me until I noticed my loudspeaker wall brackets were starting to go rusty.

I did buy some switch cleaner about 6 years ago and gave em a good spraying, at least I assumed it was switch cleaner, but it wasn't, it was some kind of silicone spray, sigh.
 Opie Oils - Zero

>> I'm the same with cars, I sleep better at nights knowing I've fitted genuine Subaru
>> parts to my Subaru car.

Given you will only keep the damn thing for two years, I would throw any old crap in it.
 Opie Oils - Dog
As I stated before guv, I'm car crazy, I've had V8 engines rebuilt at a cost of £900, and sold em within a few months.

I've even bought brand new cars, and sold them within a few months too.

It's like a weakness with me, I've only got to see a suspension leg, or some bleed nipples, and I have a momentary lapse of reason.

:+)
 Opie Oils - corax
>> It's like a weakness with me,

Still, I'd like to see you keep the 'damn' thing for more than two years. What's not to like?

:)
 Opie Oils - Dog
>>What's not to like?

I can't think of anything TBH - I wanted a convertible, Ann wanted a red car, so we bought a red Sub with a sunroof.

:-))
 Opie Oils - Lygonos
In the past with various Jap cars I have used ADL Blueprint branded pattern parts - they seem to be decent enough and are usually a lot (eg 50-60%) cheaper than the OE stuff.
 Opie Oils - Dog
Informative thread here about oil for Scooby doos:

www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f113/synthetic-motor-oil-discussion-38348/
 Opie Oils - sooty123
I've been their website before, seems plenty of info but a bit steep. Have you tried carparts4less? I get their triple qx brand meets the spec I need at a low price.
 Opie Oils - Dog
>>Have you tried carparts4less?

No I haven't, but thanks, I'll check them out.
 Opie Oils - Dog
This looks like a good lube: www.flickr.com/photos/olje-direkt/7308653886/

:3-]
 Opie Oils - corax
>> This looks like a good lube: www.flickr.com/photos/olje-direkt/7308653886/

Complete with blended synthetic implants 8-}
 Opie Oils - DP
I've ordered from them before. Excellent customer service - I was a litre "top up" bottle short when I ordered one of their service packs. Sent an email, got an apology within the hour, and a replacement arrived the next day.

The prices are excellent, but when you add the fiver or so (from memory) delivery, it does eat into quite a bit of the saving. Nevertheless, with the good service, and the sheer choice of brands and types of oil, I would be happy to use them again.
 Opie Oils - Dog
>>The prices are excellent, but when you add the fiver or so (from memory) delivery, it does eat into quite a bit of the saving

I only paid £1 for delivery by Fed. Ex., maybe because I am local.

Checking out prices on the net, the £37 I paid for 5 litres of Millers XF Longlife C3 5w-30 inc. del. couldn't be beaten.
Latest Forum Posts