Motoring Discussion > Buried Volvo Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 7

Buried Volvo - Armel Coussine
Aaaargh!
Chap came yesterday to collect a little old bit of furniture for repair. Then herself came in to say his car had got stuck nose down in the sort of Chesil Bank of one-inch pebbles that makes the steeply sloping parking area next to the house so hazardous for the unwary. Last couple of times this happened the cars were front drivers, but this was a big Volvo estate. Its driven rear wheels just spun and made clouds of smoke. I think he had stopped a bit briskly and lowered the engine and gearbox onto the ghastly pebbles. We tried bits of carpet, chunks and boards of wood, bricks... it wouldn't move. A lot of work with rakes and bits of wood at least got the car's belly off the ground, but still no go: smoke first from one rear tyre, then the other. Everyone turned out of both houses, although those with the most muscle were out and the heavyweight chimney sweep wasn't here to help. Still no go, after half an hour of faffing and effort.

Eventually it occurred to the furniture chap (who is very nice) to get us all to sit in the back seat and load area of the Volvo. That worked immediately and the flustered Volvo extracted itself.

Doh! That was the first thing we should have tried. Some bits of wood have been placed to deter people from doing this in future. My trousers are stippled with fine mud from kneeling on the damn pebbles and grovelling under that Volvo to make daylight appear under the engine and gearbox. Country life can be strangely exacting.
 Buried Volvo - Old Navy
>>Country life can be strangely exacting>>

Don't all you country folk have Range Rovers for your horse boxes? You could have dragged it out with one (or two) of them. :-)
 Buried Volvo - Armel Coussine
>> country folk have Range Rovers for your horse boxes?

No horses or Range Rovers here ON, and anyway it's an awkward place. There's an old Ferguson tractor but it's a palaver to start and the awkward place - deep ditch and bank just the width of the bridle path/single track approach road from Chesil Bank - would make towing out next to impossible.
 Buried Volvo - Alanovich
I think you're confusing the countryside with Sunningdale, ON.
 Buried Volvo - Old Navy
Silly me, I now remember the wife of my farmer pal bringing us lunch during a harvest and driving across the field at high speed in her Golf GTI. His Range Rover was a battered Toyota Hilux.
 Buried Volvo - legacylad
Or Kirkby Lonsdale.
Nice pubs. Shame about the wall to wall Chelsea tractors.
 Buried Volvo - Runfer D'Hills
Narrow roads in KL too I seem to remember ?
 Buried Volvo - Fenlander
Two of our visitor disasters come to mind...

Pretty girl in a newly restored and new to her Series 3 Land Rover waving and calling bye backs briskly off our drive into the quiet land outside... but turns the wheel too soon and backs into the roadside ditch leaving the front wheels in the air.

Gormless 20 something son of a friend collected his pride and joy Capri from the street outside our house in town after I'd fitted a stereo, amp & speakers for him. He turns up the music, revs the engine and drops the clutch with a cheery wave. Sadly he was in reverse and rammed into next doors car behind. His Dad stood with us shaking his head in despair.
Latest Forum Posts