Motoring Discussion > Random American motoring thoughts. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 3

Random American motoring thoughts. - R.P.
Our last visit was in 2010 - much seems to have changed on the motoring front. Petrol prices seem on a par, hovering around the $4.00 mark. Cars seem to have shrunk to even more European norm sizes, with low cost brands everywhere, Kias and Hyundais seem to abound, The equivalent Ford (Focus and Mondeo) seem identical size-wise to their European cousins.

Loads of hybrids around both in private and commercial (taxi) hands - certainly Prius seem to be popular with the cabbies in LA and San Francisco. Hybrid buses seem to be all the rage as well.

Delighted to find that the "Deuce" double deckers pounding the "strip" in Las Vegas were British Alexander Dennis buses - and very smooth and classy they were to ride.

Took a long service bus ride from Downtown LA to Sunset Boulevard (dirt cheap and very busy) - it was a 45 minute cross city ride - what was clear was the social strata as identified by car use - there were poor areas aplenty cheek by jowl with more affluent areas where all of a sudden Land Rover and MINI products seemed to abound.

Still a good place to drive I reckon.
 Random American motoring thoughts. - BobbyG
We are flying to Phoenix, staying there for a few days and then doing Grand Canyon / Vegas / LA. Car I am hiring is a Kuga equivalent although I believe they tend to use a Hyundai Tuscan more than the Fords which would tie in with what you are saying.
 Random American motoring thoughts. - ToMoCo
>> Still a good place to drive I reckon.

Were you driving? If so, what did you have?

We were given an HHR when I was there a couple of years ago - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_HHR

Heavy and slow, certainly nothing I would crave - should have taken the upgrade for a charger, but didn't want to spoil my illusions
 Random American motoring thoughts. - R.P.
We were driven this year. It was a Tour - Basically fly to LAX and then flown internally to the destinations - quite intensive. Nine internal flights over 10 days in a 30 seater turbo prop - all hotels and evening meals sorted as well as the airport transfers - Cracking way to see the place without driving or being bussed vast distances....

Latest Forum Posts