Motoring Discussion > What's that engine? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 6

What's that engine? - bathtub tom
Ignoring the source and the vehicle, what's that engine?

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/16/article-2325379-19CEC5EA000005DC-384_964x735.jpg

It appears to have two cylinders, a spark plug in the left and a de-compressor in the right. Single exhaust to the RH cylinder.

Trojans had a twin cylinder, 2-stroke engine with a single combustion chamber, but they were configured one in front of the other, not a parallel twin.
 What's that engine? - Slidingpillar
No idea as to engine, but the picture and a brief description are at the bottom of this page:
www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl2.htm

Could easily be an Italian engine as the monowheel may not be of Mr Gerdes making at all, but a Motoruota.

PS Don't explore the site unless you have some spare time - it's fascinating...
 What's that engine? - TeeCee
blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2010/11/22/m-goventosas-one-wheel-to-obscurity/

It would seem that everyone's stumped....

Edit: Some speculation about the engine there though, thought to be a single.
Last edited by: TeeCee on Thu 16 May 13 at 15:39
 What's that engine? - Slidingpillar
See the page it refers to though, another picture is of a quite different engine.
Still trying to work out what having two cylinders with only one plug and exhaust between them would be supposed to achieve.

Any ideas?

Never mind, it's a "split single" (thank you Wikipedia) and from its provenance there, I have to suspect a Garelli. Off to look for Garelli pics to confirm.
Last edited by: TeeCee on Thu 16 May 13 at 15:54
I'm convinced it's a Garelli 350 split single.

Can't find exactly the right one, but this is awfully close:
motorivista.com/garelli-racing-motorcycle/

Look at the design of the crankcase etc. Identical. Detail differences in the head area (including what looks like the world's most oversized ally gasket???).
Also, just to prove that you can come up with a daft idea and then make it even dafter, see about halfway down here: chillopedia.com/military/six-failed-weird-fighting-inventions/

Now the article depicted starts: "In England, an Italian inventor has just demonstrated...". I wonder if that was the work of the same M. Goventosa? I find it difficult to believe that there were two Italians attempting to flog monowheels to the unwary at that time.
Latest Forum Posts