Motoring Discussion > Volvo V70 - Dog box crash test Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 8

Volvo V70 - Dog box crash test - Dave
I had one of my boxes tested yesterday at the Swedish test house. Here's a video of the frontal test at 50kph, 2 x 25kg 'dogs', deceleration measured at 26g. As you will see, it passed with flying colours - nothing broke, cracked, bent or split.

youtu.be/XConywovkNY
 Volvo V70 - Dog box crash test - Zero
Looks good, dont forget to put in a full description, and lots of tags, and put information and links in your youtube channel description, so lots of potential customers can find you and your primary web site.
 Volvo V70 - Dog box crash test - Manatee
Very impressive. I had no idea such things existed.
 Volvo V70 - Dog box crash test - No FM2R
Its not that I am unimpressed with your boxes, quite the contrary, but insofar as animal safety is concerned is it not a little like putting an egg in a baked bean can and then shaking it?
better than loose dogs in the boot getting some real momentum and mass going.

Anyway, at the end of the day, its about protecting your passengers from flying dog.
 Volvo V70 - Dog box crash test - Dave
Yeah, a lot of it is BS, to be honest. But the theory is the box must stay intact so the dog can't get out and damage passengers or escape into traffic. Also, the box must not deform such that there are sharp edges that can injure the dog, and it must be able to be opened afterwards 'without force or tools'.

There is also a rear test where the box is pushed towards the rear seat, and to pass it must not break the seat back or protrude through it. That's why I made it collapsible, as that's the only way it can possibly pass that particular test. The other advantage is that one size of box will fit numerous cars because the depth can be changed.

My theory is that for a little extra work I can command a much higher selling price. The biggest selling box here is the only one (until now) that has done these tests, and they sell for about £100 more than all the others, including my existing boxes. I plan to sell them alongside my current ones, plus I can make 'specials' along the same lines, which the other manufacturer can't, for example to fit cars with a high rear lip. I make a lot of custom boxes for vans, double decker boxes etc, so I hope they (and the prices) will benefit from the halo effect.
 Volvo V70 - Dog box crash test - bathtub tom
What about the poor dog after the cage has 'concertinaed'?
It can kiss its own...

Well dogs do that anyway I guess.
 Volvo V70 - Dog box crash test - sherlock47
>> What about the poor dog after the cage has 'concertinaed'?
>>

The bars on the doors make it look like an office shredder. After a real rear ender will we be testing beefburgers for canine DNA? :)
Latest Forum Posts