Motoring Discussion > A little puzzle for the weekend Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 16

A little puzzle for the weekend - Mike H
Living as we do in Austria, we drive to and from the UK several times a year. Most of the route is across Germany. We have often commented on how many different vehicle nationalities use the roads there. This time, I wrote them down.

My question is, would you like to hazard a guess at the total number of unique vehicle nationality plates that I spotted, including German?
 A little puzzle for the weekend - Bromptonaut
A quick count of usual travellers plus those likely to be in transit would easily give 20.
 A little puzzle for the weekend - ToMoCo
 A little puzzle for the weekend - Robin O'Reliant

Or it might be 37.
 A little puzzle for the weekend - Ted

A fair few. Might even be several but I'd go for many.

Ted
 A little puzzle for the weekend - sooty123
I'd say 12.
 A little puzzle for the weekend - IJWS14
Well in the last week we have seen SK, DK, L PL, P, ES, D, F, B, GB, GR, DK, SE, HU, CH, A and I.

I have not really been looking too closely so I would guess around 25.

I forgot - One from CAN (Ontario).
Last edited by: IJWS14 on Sat 18 May 13 at 12:37
 A little puzzle for the weekend - Old Navy
I only look for foreign registrations on lorries, getting sideswiped into the central crash barrier by 40odd tons of LHD steel is something I hope to avoid.

Anything else is not a puzzle it is a guess, I am driving from Edinburgh to Carlisle later today, anyone want to guess how many Scottish and English registered cars I will see?

Don't bother I won't be counting.
>> I only look for foreign registrations on lorries, getting sideswiped into the central crash barrier
>> by 40odd tons of LHD steel is something I hope to avoid.
>>
>> Anything else is not a puzzle it is a guess, I am driving from Edinburgh
>> to Carlisle later today, anyone want to guess how many Scottish and English registered cars
>> I will see?
>>
>> Don't bother I won't be counting.
>>
Sorry if I bored you, ON. Most of the vehicles were lorries tbh. Anyway, the total was 27, which was more than I expected. Hardly any Brits, and a pretty high count for the Czech Republic which was hardly surprising considering our route across Germany (A6). The lowest counts were Macedonian, Portuguese and Greek, one of each iirc. I suspect the Greek one was loaded with euros ;-)

A little puzzle for the weekend - No FM2R
And way more than I would have expected.

I can never resist looking, and every now and again one sees a surprising one. I saw one with a Belgian plate in Brazil last year. And it was a small Renault, not the sort of thing one would think of taking with you on an expat, and it wasn't very new either.
 A little puzzle for the weekend - Robin O'Reliant
A cousin in Sidney posted a picture on his facebook page of a car he'd spotted with Irish plates. There must be one hell of a reason for taking that to Aus.
 A little puzzle for the weekend - idle_chatterer
>> A cousin in Sidney posted a picture on his facebook page of a car he'd
>> spotted with Irish plates. There must be one hell of a reason for taking that
>> to Aus.
>>

Well cars are extremely expensive here, the shipping costs are likely to be less than the price differential but then the hassle and expense of getting a car through customs should not be underestimated. If it still had its Irish plates then I assume is was under a 12 month carnet which itself is an expensive hobby....

I've seen one foreign reg'd car in 8 months in Australia (and that was on a GB plate), people do however import 'classics' (Minis, MGs, 2CVs and more upmarket stuff) because the import duties are not so high (there must be an element of protectionism in all this) but they're then re-registered from what I've seen.
 A little puzzle for the weekend - Alanovich
Anyway, the
>> total was 27

Don't suppose you'd mind listing them would you Mike? I'd be interested to see the list.
Thought someone might ask! Here they are, just in the order that we recorded them:

PL (Poland)
NL (Netherlands)
SK (Slovakia)
TR (Turkey)
D (Germany)
A (Austria)
CZ (Czech Republic)
GR (Greece)
H (Hungary)
P (Portugal)
B (Belgium)
BG (Bulgaria)
RUS (Russia)
SLO (Slovenia)
DK (Denmark)
LT (Lithuania)
RO (Romania)
L (Luxembourg)
LTV (Latvia)
E (Spain)
CH (Switzerland)
F (France)
I (Italy)
GB (Great Britain)
IRL (Ireland)
HR (Croatia)
MK (Macedonia)

Might have missed some at the speed my wife was driving ;-)
 A little puzzle for the weekend - sherlock47
Might have missed some at the speed my wife was driving ;-)

To read all the small plates - at speed, I reckon she was also driving too close :)
>> To read all the small plates - at speed, I reckon she was also driving
>> too close :)
>>
Not at all, the lorries were in the inside lane most of the time, and with the volume of traffic we were driving fairly slowly at times. And of course, the speed differential on cars in the various lanes was not always that great irrespective of speed.

But you're right, sometimes she does!
 A little puzzle for the weekend - Dave_
Covering a couple of thousand miles a week on UK motorways I'd say I see almost all of those most weeks, the rarer ones being RUS, HR and MK. I spotted an Iran-registered lorry on the M6 the other day, now THAT was unusual!
Latest Forum Posts