Motoring Discussion > Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R40 Replies: 52

Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - R40
ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/i-knocked-a-cyclist-off-his-bike-i-have-right-of-way-he-doesnt-even-pay-road-tax/

doh!
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - FocalPoint
She has problems - and not only with cyclists, it seems. She tailgates and drives at 95 mph - takes photos to prove it - and boasts about it. A trainee accountant, so not completely stupid in one sense.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - VxFan
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=13964&m=318095&v=e
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - R40
lol, well I thought it was about motoring................
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - FocalPoint
I never read the cycling threads.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - L'escargot
Tweet tweet tweet rockin' robin. www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4VCUbL7jsc
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - MD
She sounds like another thick twerp. Remove her licence for good. Remove her ovaries too. No good letting the scum breed.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Haywain
Echo - what MD says!
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - No FM2R
She's clearly an idiot, whatever the rights or wrongs of the incident. I;m glad the police were informed, and I assume ti will be dealt with appropriately.

However, also from that article...

"Twitter users have already alerted her employer about her tweets."

I find that very small minded, kind of "Miss! Miss! your employee has been bad Miss".

Still, presumably it was done by people who are without sin, not sanctimonious, do-gooding twerps with no life of their own to occupy their time with.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Londoner
>> "Twitter users have already alerted her employer about her tweets."
>>
>> I find that very small minded, kind of "Miss! Miss! your employee has been bad
>> Miss".
>>
No. This isn't some fifth-former smoking behind the bike sheds. She ran over a cyclist and could have caused very serious injuries . . . and then she boasted about it.

It was more like "Officer! I have the license number of the car that the bank robbers used!"
Last edited by: Londoner on Tue 21 May 13 at 23:37
Right, and the police should be told.

But what was the motivation for telling the employer?
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Armel Coussine
MD, Haywain and Londoner: the woman didn't run over anyone. She knocked someone off his bike without injuring him much, then did a silly tweet about it. The worst thing she did was drive on without stopping. That's what she'll be done for, if anything.

The world, and the roads, are full of people stupider and more dangerous than that. I feel these calls for a lifetime driving ban and sterilisation are excessive to put it mildly. FMR is right about the sneaking twitterers too. 'Whosoever diggeth a pit/Shall fall in it'.

I blame scrumpy (and in Londoner's case something bracing from the local offy). Over the top chaps. No offence, or not much anyway.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 21 May 13 at 23:54
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Londoner
>> I blame scrumpy (and in Londoner's case something bracing from the local offy). Over the
>> top chaps. No offence, or not much anyway.
>>
"local offy".....cough...splutter.....I'll have you know that when I require a tipple I send my butler down to the wine cellar. (I'll have to install some lighting down there as he keeps falling over. Can't risk him damaging the bottles, you know.)
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Bromptonaut
>> MD, Haywain and Londoner: the woman didn't run over anyone. She knocked someone off his
>> bike without injuring him much, then did a silly tweet about it. The worst thing
>> she did was drive on without stopping. That's what she'll be done for, if anything.

The lack of injury was chance and the cyclist's reaction. He says the impact was hard enough to take off her door mirror. Failure to stop report for sure but at least careless if not dangerous driving could be made out.

It seems this woman's tweets included her employment details as well as her various driving adventures. Reporting to the employer is really just putting them on notice of a reputational issue.
>> impact was hard enough to take off her door mirror. Failure to stop report for sure but at least careless if not dangerous driving could be made out.

Yes. She's a lousy driver and coarse and thuggish with it. Certainly deserves stiff fine and driving ban.

But not a lifetime ban, and certainly not sterilisation. She may well be capable of learning. Most people are. Perhaps that was a joke, but it didn't read like one.

Londoner: are you sure your butler doesn't take a hefty swig out of your bottle of vintage claret before decanting it through a dirty old bit of gauze? They usually do you know.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 22 May 13 at 12:31
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - DP
I speed-read this last night, and my conclusion was that her treatment and the attitude of some of those responsible for it were at least as worrying as what she did.

Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - BiggerBadderDave
"But not a lifetime ban, and certainly not sterilisation."

About 60,000 citizens in America were compulsively sterilized in the early-mid 20th century. Not just crime, or stupidity, or defective genetics or undesirables - but poverty.

Makes my skin crawl. Can't believe so many American parents proudly call their children Eugene.

Miss Way has now put forward a version of events that puts the cyclist on wrong side of road and denies he came off.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22636230

"The tweet and the incident are completely different, it doesn't relate to the accident," she said
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - crocks
She's now been suspended from her job. And been talking on the radio.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22636230

Edit - note to self - must type faster!
Last edited by: Crocks on Thu 23 May 13 at 16:42
>>The car's wing mirror clipped him and he was launched from the bike into a hedge, he said.

His words, but I'm trying to equate "clipped" with "launched".

And if my employer had suspended me in such circumstances they'd want to be pretty damn sure I'd broken a condition of my employment contract or it would be getting very expensive very quickly.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Lygonos
Pfft.

She has allegedly commited a significant criminal offence and allegedly behaved in a manner that could threaten her position as an accountant if brought before their equivalent of the GMC I imagine.

Suspension is part of the investigative process, not a sanction as you well know.

ps I'm pretty sure most employee contracts nowadays have clauses about offensive material being posted on social networks - I believe ours do.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 23 May 13 at 17:37
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Zero
Most COE contain something about bringing the employer into disrepute. Essentially if your notoriety gets linked with your employer you are stuffed.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - rtj70
I think she's been very foolish in what she has done (and will pay for not stopping after the accident in terms of the law). And her employer will no doubt not take too kindly either.

I find it surprising so many people 'Tweet' things they shouldn't even say in public let alone online.
>>Most COE contain something about bringing the employer into disrepute

Especially if someone is dumb enough to Facebook comments about their boss/working environment timestamped at the same time they were having a pee.

On an open facebook account.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - rtj70
My employer used to block access to social media sites from the corporate network. A few years ago they allowed it. My thoughts on this was most people would have smartphones and so would post on social media from their phone and our employer would not know how much time you were wasting. So letting you use your laptop/desktop allows them to monitor it :-)

The management now post blogs and all sorts... I'm not sure it's a good thing. I don't Twitter or use Facebook (or similar). And have no plans starting.
Pffft to you too!

Suspension is not supposed to be punitive, but is arguably so if it is communicated to the world at large irresponsibly and perceived to reflect.

And many contracts have many clauses about "offensive". Sadly this is a subjective term and almost impossible to define.
May well be precedent for disciplinary procedure from previous episodes.

Also you fail to comment on the professional standing issues - pretty sure if it was a hospital doc they'd be being investigated too.

Considering both sides appear to be quick to Jeremy Kyle it over local radio I think any anonymity issues have been jettisoned.

Whether it warrants suspension obviously depends upon all of the information which we won't be privy to.

But you rightly bring up the point as management (in)consistency over disciplinary matters is notoriously open to interpretation and frequently challenged (often rightly, but also often vexatiously).

In our Practice any disciplinary issues are run past the BMA +/- ACAS to help provide a safety net if it all goes tribunal-wards (which I am glad to have avoided over the past 10+ yrs).
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Runfer D'Hills
Well, it seems clear to me what sort of person she is or can be. Whether others find this a justifiable view or not, if I was using the services of this firm of accountants, and she was the individual assigned by them to manage my affairs I would have instructed them this week in no uncertain terms to find someone else to handle my business with them.

Maybe, they have had some of their actual clients who have advised them similarly. I would want nothing to do with her but equally I couldn't care less what happens to her either in law or in life as long as she was no part of mine.
>>if I was using the services of this firm of accountants, and she was the individual assigned by them to manage my affairs I would have instructed them this week in no uncertain terms to find someone else to handle my business with them

Which on first thought sounds unfair and presumptious, but there are genuine concerns about this woman's alleged behaviour. And the funny thing with behaviour is it often pervades all aspects of someone's life and driven by their personality.

In the same way that stopping careless drivers will often bring to light other simultaneous offences such as no insurance, construction and use issues, drug use, outstanding arrest warrants, etc. I would have a genuine concern about this worker's attitude to diligence and honesty with respect to her work.

In summary: I agree with Humph.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 23 May 13 at 18:50
>>And the funny thing with behaviour is it often pervades all aspects of someone's life and driven by their personality.

I quite agree.

However, if I took some ridiculous comment you made in your early 20s, had it "interpreted" by today's media, and then distributed it amongst today's reactionary audience, would you, as a respectable and respected GP, come out convincingly well?

I know I wouldn't.

The word "allegedly" has a lot to answer for.
>>However, if I took some ridiculous comment you made in your early 20s, had it "interpreted" by today's media, and then distributed it amongst today's reactionary audience, would you, as a respectable and respected GP, come out convincingly well?

I'm pretty sure most of my utterances in my early 40s would fall into the same group!

12 months of diligent behaviour at work and keeping the nose clean = pretty much a clean slate for this young lady.

If she has a personality issue she won't learn, hopefully she was behaving in the manner of today's 20-somethings and will mature after these events.
>> presumptious

Presumptuous, Lygonos.

You doctors usually get away with solecisms like that by having illegible handwriting of course.

:o}
>> if I was using the services of this firm of accountants, and she was the individual assigned by them to manage my affairs I would have instructed them this week in no uncertain terms to find someone else to handle my business with them.

Not a bad-looking girl though. Suppose for the sake of argument Humph that she had been running your tax affairs brilliantly for a year or two, saving countless thousands of your hard-earned from the revenue sharks, and then got into this pickle in a hormonally unbalanced couple of days, would you want to change her for an unknown, perhaps ugly and smelly man?

:o}

My accountant is in fact a hand wringing Uriah Heep-ish character who is coincidentally a bit ugly, sports a comb-over and bad suits but I've never noticed a particular smell other than a dash of Old Spice.

I'd trust him with my life though. Good guy.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Zero
I think thats what Dr Harold Shipmans patients said.

There are more accountants and bookkeepers in jail than any other single profession.

There are more people in jail without a defined profession than there are with one.
There are probably more people in jail with a defined mental illness than without one.

Especially womens' jails.

Yeah, I guess if you decide to be a crook it's to your advantage if you're a smart crook. My wife was a finance fraud investigator for the large business division of a major high street bank. The stories I can't tell you about smart crooks...

;-)
>> >>The car's wing mirror clipped him and he was launched from the bike into a
>> hedge, he said.
>>
>> His words, but I'm trying to equate "clipped" with "launched".

Have you ever had your handlebar "clipped"?

Like hitting a kerb with car wheel only much more so. If the impact doesn't get you inevitable over correcting will.
>>Like hitting a kerb with car wheel only much more so

I'm sure.

Now, "launched" from a clip?
Why the semantics?

There is a story that she hit a cyclist, he fell off, she drove off.

Launched, tottered, flopped, it's all a potential driving offence that carries substantial penalties.

Cyclist travelling at 20mph, has right hand handlebar clipped by a car travelling at 30+ mph in the opposite direction: what do you think possible outcomes are?
In the same way that you earlier mentioned, correctly, that her attitude to this probably follows through much of the rest of her life, then in my opinion phrases being used by him such as "lucky to be alive", "launched" etc. etc speak to his credibility, his likely behaviour and so forth.

Consequently I'd take it that much as she would appear to be an idiot, much as she clearly behaves ridiculously, he is not much more credible.

And of course, 50mph impact on your arm can hurt. however, I've had my jack ripped by the trailer of a truck going to opposite direction to my motorcycle on a country road with no ill effect.
But could the same impact 'launch' you off your pushbike?

Of course it could, but even a modest falling-off can still scare the bejeebus out of you: I saw a guy nearly have a panic attack after skidding his m-cycle under the back of a Jag that slowed down faster than he expected (he was unhurt).

Unless she is using hyperbole in her tweet (which is entirely possible) she does state "Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier - I have right of way he doesn't even pay road tax".

One would hope, of course, that even had she knocked the guy off his bike, she drove off because he appeared to get up and be ok (still no excuse).

We'll see how it all pans out in the end, everything else is speculative and best-guess theory.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Robin O'Reliant
>> In the same way that you earlier mentioned, correctly, that her attitude to this probably
>> follows through much of the rest of her life, then in my opinion phrases being
>> used by him such as "lucky to be alive", "launched" etc. etc speak to his
>> credibility, his likely behaviour and so forth.
>>

>>
Having been "Launched" after clipping someone's rear wheel with my front during a cycle race I can tell you the resultant off hurts like hell even if you do manage to avoid clouting a wall, lamp post or bramble hedge. The only good thing about it is the very instant and effective cure for constipation that follows.
I don't for one minute doubt that it can be painful, dangerous and cause injury.

I just think that this particular cyclist is a drama queen and that in this case not much happened.
I would tend to agree: not initially reported to the Law backs up your suspicion in my mind.
Although to be fair, having just seen an interview with him, it seems to be the media making rather more of it than he is.
>> I would tend to agree: not initially reported to the Law backs up your suspicion
>> in my mind.

Nasty incident but without a registration number he'd really got nothing to report. Even with vehicle details the Police are often reluctant to act in one on one evidence situations where there's no injury.

>> Consequently I'd take it that much as she would appear to be an idiot, much
>> as she clearly behaves ridiculously, he is not much more credible.

I don't normally pay too much attention to warnings of cyclist's vulnerability because, in London traffic, speed differentials are quite small.

OTOH on rural A/B roads a contact accident with a vehicle driven in opposite direction, or hitting fast from behind, can easily put you in launched/fatality territory.

Statistically, for mile travelled and for KSI accidents, rural roads are much more risky than the Embankment or Parliament Square.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Westpig
>> Have you ever had your handlebar "clipped"?

That sort of thing was a bit before my time, although I think they still had a few in the RAF. I did have a mustache once, didn't look right.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - bathtub tom
Having seen that interview, I think "poor old Emma" should have bashed that solicitor round the back of the head with the shovel she's using to dig such a damn great hole for herself.
 Driver tweet after rta with cyclist v stupid - Fullchat
"I did stop." She proclaims.

Clearly needs a lesson on the obligations. But then I suppose she is now getting one as well as her getting photographed, fingerprinted and DNA'd.

That learn her. Airhead.

Latest Forum Posts