Motoring Discussion > Why are so many green cars blue? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 34

Why are so many green cars blue? - Alanovich
BlueMotion, BlueEfficiency, BlueDrive.................there may be others.

???
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Shiny
It all started with Edward the Blue Engine.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - madf
I blame Bugatti.
tinyurl.com/q39r2p4
 Why are so many green cars blue? - L'escargot
>> I blame Bugatti.

I blame whoever started the use of the word green to mean something other than a colour. I was taught that green was a colour obtained from mixing blue and yellow. Some people say that my car is green but I say it's red.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Armel Coussine
>> I blame whoever started the use of the word green to mean something other than a colour.

Quite right gastropod. I've always despised that myself. Annoying cobblers eagerly embraced even by quite intelligent biens-pensants.
Not the old language-should-never-change guff again. Hey ho. Pink used to mean yellow, and black actually means the same as white, if you look into the etymology of those words.

Anyway, I wasn't interested in why the word green came to mean what it does in modern usage, and whether it should or not, but I was interested in why cars with claimed environmentally friendly characteristics are being labelled "Blue" by manufacturers. It's a bit odd in light of the fact that "green" is the voguey adjective (right or wrong) for such things.

Anyone know why?
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Armel Coussine
>> Not the old language-should-never-change guff again. Hey ho. Pink used to mean yellow, and black act

You may be bien pensant and quite intelligent Alanović, but I certainly wasn't getting at you. There's a big difference between language and passing cant. Green meaning ecologically well-meaning is low commercial cant thrust on us by guilty but smug capitalist organizations happy to flog less effective products to dumbos for higher prices.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Mike Hannon
>>There's a big difference between language and passing cant. Green meaning ecologically well-meaning is low commercial cant thrust on us by guilty but smug capitalist organizations happy to flog less effective products to dumbos for higher prices.<<

Yup.

I used to live on an 'insular' part of mainland UK where the residents were very touchy about anything green. One guy I knew bought a new van for his building business and took a green one because it was available quickly. A few weeks later he wrote it off in an accident - not his fault - involving an old lady well-known as the area's worst driver. He blamed himself for 'going green'.

Incidentally, Mr Snail, you do know don't you that the inability to differentiate between red and green is probably the most common form of colour blindness in males?
>> Incidentally, Mr Snail, you do know don't you that the inability to differentiate between red
>> and green is probably the most common form of colour blindness in males?
>>

So that's why I often pass traffic lights on red.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Cliff Pope
But it's not all bad news:

"Color blindness is usually classified as a mild disability, however there are occasional circumstances where it can give an advantage. Some studies conclude that color blind people are better at penetrating certain color camouflages. Such findings may give an evolutionary reason for the high prevalence of red–green color blindness.[4] And there is also a study suggesting that people with some types of color blindness can distinguish colors that people with normal color vision are not able to distinguish."
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Londoner
It was a red letter day when I bought my new car.

I bought it to cheer myself up because I was feeling blue. I was the black sheep of the family, and all my relatives were green with envy.

They were amazed that a old "silver surfer" like my could afford it, but they predicted that it would turn out to be a White Elephant. This started a furious argument, and soon the air turned blue. SWMBO calmed it all down by reminding everyone that there was no absolute right and wrong - it was a grey area.
On a serious note, this is from a paper "Is Blue the new Green?"
www.responsibility-research.de/resources/WP_3_Is_blue_the_new_green.pdf

"German automotive industries came up with the concept of BlueTec (Mercedes-Benz)
or Bluemotion (VW, Audi). Green apparently would not fit the premium brand image of drivingpleasure and acceleration. For BMW even the blue-label is unsuitable and BMW therefore calls its Diesel technology ‘efficient dynamics’)."
Ah ha. That may well be the answer. Thanks.

Still begs why they needed to choose a colour at all, mind.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 21 May 13 at 16:50
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Meldrew
Green coloured cars are thought by some, to be unlucky, and "Blue" has an implied aura of coolness, perhaps?
>> Green coloured cars are thought by some, to be unlucky, ............

My first new car was dark green, and when it was parked in public car parks it got dinged a lot of times. My second new car was dark blue, and it similarly seemed to be invisible to other drivers/parkers. From then onwards I chose bright colours ~ firstly yellow when it was readily available and then bright red ~ and I didn't get any more car park bumps.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - TeeCee
That's probably because the Germans associate "green" with a bunch of sandal wearing luddites in the Bundestag.

You wouldn't want your high-tech automotive offering to be associated with them.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Zero
>> That's probably because the Germans associate "green" with a bunch of sandal wearing luddites in
>> the Bundestag.

Hey! the germans don't have sole license for that point of view. Most people associate "green" with a bunch of sandal wearing luddites.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - sherlock47
>>It was a red letter day when I bought my new car. <<<

You missed being 'in the pink', trying to buy at a discount on the black market , from a yellow-bellied salesman who would not match the price offered by a brown-noser Orangeman, a golden boy at the local dealers, who described the manufacturers literature as purple prose has a pile of crap. I ran out of colours at that point!
Last edited by: pmh on Tue 21 May 13 at 18:32
 Why are so many green cars blue? - WillDeBeest
He got stuck in the showroom door. "Indigo!" said the salesman, giving him a violet shove and causing him to yell "ow!"
I also didn't mention the sky-high prices at the dealer, or the time that I got away with being illegally parked in Saffron Walden.

I'd just left it there as bold as brass. A copper came over and I thought "Azure as eggs is eggs, he'll book me!". But he was as good as gold. He just told me to mauve on with a cherry wave! I was lucky.

My mate Ginger had his car towed away and he was marooned. When he went to the pound to reclaim it they told not to do it in fuchsia.
Last edited by: Londoner on Tue 21 May 13 at 23:17
 Why are so many green cars blue? - NortonES2
To Londoner, as this site misplaced my attempt. Beige ingo, that was clever! Oh, never mind.
Last edited by: NIL on Tue 21 May 13 at 19:11
In any case green is not the universal colour for environmental credibility and recycling.

I read somewhere that blue is used in Canada. In Carmarthenshire white is for recycling. In Ceredigion, blue, and in Pembrokeshire it is orange.

Green universally is the colour code for garden and kitchen waste.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Shiny
In Nottingham City, Brown is used for recycling as green was already taken, so it would be a rather uneappealing on many levels - Brown-Motion.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - CGNorwich
"Green universally is the colour code for garden and kitchen waste."

Not here it isn't - Brown for garden waste, grey recycling and green for landfill.
>> Not here it isn't - Brown for garden waste, grey recycling and green for landfill.

Here it's green for garden waste, grey for recycling and black for landfill. In nearby North Kesteven it's green lid for recycling and brown lid for garden waste.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Meldrew
My bins are the same colour arrangement as yours mollusc. Does that mean you are in South Kesteven?. Additionally, our recycling bins will accept almost anything and with no sorting. It is all done at a vast mechanised centre which has so much capacity that Lincs is buying other council's rubbish and making money from recycling it. This may now be negated by a planned EU directive to make us sort it all at home and put it into up to 8 different bins. Progress - not from where I am looking!
Interesting stuff on the use of differing colours by councils. Reading has grey/black for landfill, red for recycling and green for garden waste.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - No FM2R
Oxfordshire: green for landfill, brown for garden waste and blue for recycling.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - Bromptonaut
ATM South Northants has bins in black for landfill and green for garden waste. The accompanying recycling boxes are supposed to match (ie green bin/boxes alternate black bin/boxes) In paractice so long as the right material is in the colour of the boxes doesn't matter.

The green bin originally took compostable card, directories etc as well but apparently that's no longer permitted as ink etc contaminates the compost.

Supposed to be getting a new system soon with a food waste bin and one for mixed recycling (plastic/glass/card/paper/tins) plus a smaller green garden bin but no sign of it starting just yet.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - VxFan
>> Oxfordshire: green for landfill, brown for garden waste and blue for recycling.

Not this side of Oxfordshire (VOWH council).

www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/services-and-advice/recycling-rubbish-and-waste

Black for landfill. Brown for garden waste. Green for recyling.
 Why are so many green cars blue? - No FM2R
>>Not this side of Oxfordshire (VOWH council).

Cherwell.
>> ....... our recycling bins will accept almost anything and with no sorting.

Lucky you. Our recycling bin won't accept glass, and the only plastic things acceptable are bottles.
>> and green for landfill.
>>
>>

Nice choice that, considering landfill is almost the least "green" option possible. :)
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blue%20car
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 22 May 13 at 10:11
>> BlueMotion, BlueEfficiency, BlueDrive.................there may be others.
>>
>> ???
>>

I've seen green cars displaying blue badges.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 22 May 13 at 12:40
Latest Forum Posts