Elf and Safety would have kittens...
 Wheel changing. A new method. - Fullchat
Link to a clip about women in Saudia being banned from driving :O

I never knew that.
 Wheel changing. A new method. - Old Navy
>> Elf and Safety would have kittens...
>>

Only in the UK.

The last time I was in Dubai I was overtaken by a V8 Range Rover being driven flat out and weaving through the multilane traffic, sounded nice, and not unusual. :-)

tinyurl.com/nv9l3zn
 Wheel changing. A new method. - Armel Coussine
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 26 May 13 at 00:03
Dubai is a mixed blessing really. Jolly horsy petrolhead royal family, a business community free to do all sorts of carp. I am told that the Something-or-other al Nusra group supposedly associated with the opposition in tortured Syria, a Sunni extremist gang said to be trying to demolish the ancient and beautiful tomb of Zeinab (sister of Hussein, son of the murdered fourth Caliph Ali) in Damascus and a holy shrine to Shi'as (as well as being genuine world heritage), is financed and backed from Dubai. This if true is criminal behaviour, despicable.

Sorry, first version contains incorrect details, a bit slapdash. Cd mods remove it please?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 25 May 13 at 22:04
Thank you chaps. I didn't want to insult anyone by saying Hussein had been Caliph. In fact his death at Kerbela, and Ali's assassination at Kufa, are part of the bedrock of the Shi'a and the big schism in Islam.

Zeinab comes across as an energetic character who supported Hussein doughtily, but they were in a minority and those times were pretty hard for high flyers on the wrong side. With Ali they are a sort of triumvirate of founding saints of Shi'ism. The bitterness over their deaths still animates the schism today.
 Wheel changing. A new method. - Cliff Pope
So who is lying and who is telling the truth?

Is this thread about:

1) Women drivers in Dubai
2) Not stopping on the motorway to change a wheel
3) A dissertation on the early history of the caliphate?
>> A dissertation

Sorry, topic drift, got carried away a bit there spinning out from the Dubai connection.

Anything to keep my mind off work. Bad habit really.

Wheel changing. A new method. - Westpig

>> 3) A dissertation on the early history of the caliphate?
>>
Don't put him off....i like his dissertations (ramblings).
 Wheel changing. A new method. - CGNorwich
"Ali's assassination at Kufa, are part of the bedrock of the Shi'a and the big schism in Islam"

Realised I knew nothing whatsoever of this history which is pretty lamentable really - will make and effort to correct that. Thanks
There's a quite informative book that I hesitate to recommend having translated it from French some years ago now. More accessible to the western mind than books translated from the Arabic, a roundabout and imprecise language in most hands including Arab ones. Anyway those are likely to be biased on one side or the other.

The book is called Harun al Rashid and the Time of the Thousand and one Nights, by André Clot, published by al-Saqi Books. If you take it out of the library I may get 2p or so later, or 10p or something. But you may be able to find it cheap on Amazon etc.
Latest Forum Posts