Motoring Discussion > Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 15

Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - Dog
My German g/f had the coupe version 230CE in metallic Bronze with an Ivory leather interior.

I drove it from Nth. Cornwall to Hanover-Lubeck-Peenemünde-Posen-Prague-Wartburg-Dresden etc., etc. etc.

T'was an 83 model which she owned from gnu and covered 250,000 smiles before she sold it to a Zionist.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/10074074/Classic-Mercedes-230E-built-to-last.html
 Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - Dutchie
What a car Dog.

They don't make them like that anymore.
That's right Dutchie, they don't apparently, according to their owners anyway.
 Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - -
What a find, almost unused and spent its years in the right climate without an annual intensive salting.

I like the W123, classier than the W124 of which we've owned 4 and still have 1, but lacking in precise high speed handling, a long test drive in a W123 estate showed its shortcomings, you can push them hard but its an aquired skill, its bigger sister the W126 S Class we also tested in 5.5 V8 top spec guise, very powerful but again a bit too unweidly barge like for me.

Beautiful individual cars though, very well made.
 Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - Dutchie
This is going back a few years,I used to travel to Germany with a dog breeder showing dogs.Irish terriers.Her car was a Borgward what I remember it could motor.

>>spent its years in the right climate without an annual intensive salting<<

Yes, it does help :)

'Margot' kept her 230CE in the garage but it still managed to rust I noticed, especially around the sunroof frame.

Living within walking distance of here didn't help: goo.gl/maps/vqHHG
 Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - NortonES2
I was surprised when I first heard that industrial plant (refineries etc), although inland, corroded to the point of demise by exposure to salt blown in from the west. So it's not just minor things like cars that go ***** up!
Last edited by: NIL on Mon 27 May 13 at 20:22
When we lived in Tenerife, I would occasionally stumble across old British cars dumped in isolated areas orf the beaten track as it were.

Being car crazy I used to examine them from head (cylinder) to toe (in) and was amazed just how rust free they were compared to the examples found here in blighty, unsurprisingly.
 Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - -
Same in Greece D, lots of really good old Fiat 125's etc still trundling about last time i was there, haven't seen one here since i had dark hair.

Hmm, wonder if those old but rust free cars stood down during the 'money grows on trees' years will be recommisioned now its payback time in Southern European countries?
 Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - Mike Hannon
>>before she sold it to a Zionist<<

Had that in writing did she?
>>Had that in writing did she?

He was an Israeli, Michael (same thing)
 Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - Cliff Pope

>> He was an Israeli, Michael (same thing)
>>

I don't think the 20% of Israeli citizens who are arabs would consider themselves Zionists?
>>I don't think the 20% of Israeli citizens who are arabs would consider themselves Zionists?

Indeed not, the majority identify themselves as Palestinian citizens of Israel rather than Israeli Arabs.
 Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - Gromit
Ironically, its France and Germany that hope most fervently the downturn won't have us all digging our discarded old jalopies out of barns and ditches.

As we all know, Europe's auto makers have taken a beating because the rate at which cars are being replaced has slowed down. Unsurprisingly this is most common in markets such as Ireland where we can't borrow and won't spend our savings. Worse again for the European makers etc is that those who do buy, buy Korean or Japanese in preference.
>>Same in Greece D, lots of really good old Fiat 125's etc still trundling about last time i was there

Best they stay there too ;)

Classic Mercedes 230E – built to last. - Mike Hannon
>>>>Had that in writing did she?

He was an Israeli, Michael (same thing)<<

Really?????
Latest Forum Posts