Motoring Discussion > Do I really want a V70? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 23

Do I really want a V70? - WillDeBeest
Humph wrote this in the 'Endangered British cars' thread.

You could, I suspect, if you felt inclined anyway WDB, keep that Merc a very long time. But I also suspect that you will find a way, before too much longer has passed, of transforming it into a V70. Yes/No ?

It didn't quite fit with that discussion but I neglected to reply properly elsewhere. So I'll try here. Erm, no. At least, not if I take the question entirely literally. Today's V70 is not the load carrier the old 940 was - its rear deck is too high for that. Nor is it great for four tall humans if one of them is me, because one will suffer in the knee area.

But are there Volvo attributes I'd like to see in the Mercedes? Undoubtedly - especially the seats and the D3 or D4 engine. And a separate stalk for the wipers, too. But I'm keeping the bi-xenon lights; they're great.

Today's V70 has been about for six years, so a new one may not be far off. When it appears, I'll certainly be looking to see if it ticks any more of my boxes. I suppose I just like the Swedish way of doing things.

Anyone else got a 'home' marque they're away from at the moment? (unless it's a Mondeo, in which case we already know.)
 Do I really want a V70? - Runfer D'Hills
Heh heh ! Where are we now? Half past May 2013? I'll give you until Summer 2014 at the latest before you're in a V70 ! Fair enough too, we all have our favourites.

Signed - Mystic Sven

:-)
 Do I really want a V70? - Boxsterboy
My home marque would be Citroen (i still have a 2CV) but they are not the comfortable advanced engineered (dubious build quality) cars they once were. As our roads get ever worse (and French roads get better) it is now very difficult to buy a comfortable Citroen (hydropneumatic suspension is now only a special order on the C5).
 Do I really want a V70? - Alastairw
In terms of 'home' marques I am by nature a Ford person. The current steed (Octavia)was bought because I needed more space than a Focus but didn't want an MPV or Mondeo.

Needs change, and when the Octy comes up for replacement (along time in the future hopefully), a small sporty Ford would probably fit the bill.
 Do I really want a V70? - PeterS
I don't have a favourite marque of car, but have a preference for smallish 'premium' estate cars and have had 3 A4 Avants, a couple of 3 Series Tourings and a C class estate. Practicalities mean i have a carone size lrger than I'd really like, and now I'm getting older I find myself lookng at saloons more often ;-)

Having said that, the car i kept the longest was an A4 convertible, which I had for the best part of 5 years. Missed it so much that last month, in conjunction with sunshine, eBay and a few glasses of wine,I bought a 1994 Audi Cabriolet :-0. Only £536 mind, and it has a lovely smooth V6 engine :-)

So I suppose Audi is my 'home' marque, though none of the current range grab my attention. The A4 Avant is too big now I think, and the A3 sporback too small!!
 Do I really want a V70? - Mike H
>> Anyone else got a 'home' marque they're away from at the moment?
>>
Nope, my home marque is a Saab (31 years of them), and I'm in one at the moment (not literally).

Looks like I'll need to find another :-( Mind you, the V70 appeals, as does the Honda Accord Tourer.
Don't worry, Mike. I had to make the same move in 2002 - admittedly after only seven years and two cars - when Saab disappeared from our company car list. VW and Audi were auditioned but didn't float the SS Beest, but Volvo was there and waiting for me.

Saab, of course, also made the mistake of replacing the 9-3 hatch I had with a saloon. Trouble is, as I now know, the S60 is a rather better saloon than the 9-3. I know you like your 9-5 - it's a very likeable car, and better in the back seat than the 2000-2007 V70, to the point where I considered buying one in 2006 - but I think you'll feel right at home in a V70.
Suggestion WDB....If I may? Advertise the LEC at top dollar for a bit. If someone bites your hand off, buy a Fenlander-like special as a temp and begin your search for the car you really want. Trade the temp in against the V70 you finally settle on not being too worried whether it fetches £500 or £750. If they don't, all you've lost is a few quidulacks on an ad.

It's going to gnaw at you if you don't. The Merc is a fine thing but you aren't bonding with it are you?
I think you may be getting my feelings a little out of proportion, Humph. Remember that the V70 D3 auto we looked at was comprehensively (and profanely) vetoed by Mrs Beest on the grounds of vague steering (fair) and excessive upshifts and kickdowns by the gearbox (probably tameable with practice.) But it really doesn't have enough passenger space in the back for us, and the LEC, despite being RWD, has a lower load floor and is a better estate car.

Don't forget we still have the old S60, which feels lighter, sharper and faster than either a V70 or an LEC, and I still enjoy that when I'm on my own, so I'm not entirely deprived of the Volvo experience.

Oddly, what might tempt me to part early with the LEC would be an irresistible deal from MB against a new one. I get the impression the reliability concerns with the Blue Efficiency engines and the 7G gearbox are pretty well sorted now, and I could expect to save 3.5p a mile in fuel cost, which would be welcome. I'd also like a blue one, but it's unlikely we can justify the cost of a change at this point.

I don't dislike the LEC - far from it, in fact, and I'm looking forward to taking it to France in July. It may have some Michelin tyres on it by then, which I hope will help its steering feel. And one day I'd like it to crack 40mpg on a tankful the way the S60 regularly achieves 45. But it holds the family and its clobber, Mrs Beest is happy driving it, and it has a certain presence I have to confess I rather like. And, curiously, the seats feel better after 200 miles than they do after 20; can't explain that but it probably shows the basic design is sound. The bonding may not be of the 'Ah, so this is how it's meant to be' kind, but it's far stronger than I ever achieved with its predecessor, the Verso.
Ok fair enough ( still give you 12 months max ! )

I'm ambivolent about mine too. I can only compare it to wearing a good suit when the occasion demands. It just feels so completely right in those circumstances. Everything about it is good. It goes well, stops well and it has more toys than Hamleys, it's fuel efficient, it's apparently reliable, not too steamy on tax, swallows loads but provides effortless cosseting on a long run. The sat nav is great, the ICE system makes everything sound like you're in the stalls at the Albert Hall and yet it can pick up it's skirts and be fairly sporty when you ask it to.

But, it's not like putting on your favourite pair of jeans either, if that makes any kind of sense?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 29 May 13 at 17:35
 Do I really want a V70? - Alastairw
You might change your mind about wanting a brand new LEC when you have a look at the facelifted E class. You can't have the gun sight grille in the UK anymore so you have to have the 'sport' grille with enormous Merc badge. Director at work has one, and its gopping, imo.
Heh heh ! Might not be just the best career move to tell him that mind...

Try "striking" if asked to describe it in his hearing !

I take it 'gopping' isn't good, Alastair. In which case, yes, I saw my first of the new E, a saloon, on the M4 yesterday. I prefer the new tail to the old, but the side view is still spoilt by the fussy, unnecessary crease over the rear wheelarch. And as for the front, well, the new lights are OK, but my part of West London is already full of old Mercedes saloons adorned with dinner plate-sized emblems, and none looks better for the change. I hadn't realized that MB had made it obligatory; they didn't even do that for the C, where it - arguably - looks less out of place.
Indeed WDB, the Cs are rather "arriviste" don't you think?

;-)
... Cs are rather "arriviste" don't you think?

If I do, I'd better not think it within earshot of my retired bank manager next-door neighbour as he loads his golf clubs into his 2009 C estate - with the proper MB grille, I should note. When the E first appeared on our drive he rang the bell to congratulate us on our choice.
 Do I really want a V70? - Londoner
I could be tempted by the upcoming c-class (W205).
C250 Estate in Palladium SIlver with a proper automatic gearbox. Nice!
 Do I really want a V70? - Zero
>> ... Cs are rather "arriviste" don't you think?
>>

>>
>> If I do, I'd better not think it within earshot of my retired bank manager
>> next-door neighbour as he loads his golf clubs into his 2009 C estate - with
>> the proper MB grille, I should note. When the E first appeared on our drive
>> he rang the bell to congratulate us on our choice.

I'd park my Lancer Estate outside his house just to annoy him.
...and offer to tarmac his drive or whisper his dog?

:-))
I'll offer to sharpen his knives and sell him some lucky white heather.
 Do I really want a V70? - Londoner
Is that the "pie key" (that you referred to in another thread) coming out?
thats what Humph was referring to i think when he mentioned tarmacking the drive
 Do I really want a V70? - PeterS
Unfortunately I think the grill mounted MB emblems now standard on the C class as well, which is only available in 'Executive SE', 'AMG Sport' and 'AMG Sport Plus' trim levels. I'm sure I'd read the bonnet mounted badge was available as part of an option pack on both the C and E, but as the MB configurator hasn't worked for months I can't check...
 Do I really want a V70? - Boxsterboy
The feelings I had about my E-class estates mirror those of Humpf. Very good car, but not one I miss in the same way that I miss when a well-worn pair of jeans finally has to be binned.

Traditional gun-sight stars are available on the new E in Europe. I don't understand why MBUK are so obsessed with driving down the average age of Merc drivers by insisting they all come with various grades of 'sporty' trim.

>> Traditional gun-sight stars are available on the new E in Europe. I don't understand why
>> MBUK are so obsessed with driving down the average age of Merc drivers by insisting
>> they all come with various grades of 'sporty' trim.

its all about how good it looks in the company car park. Most mercs are company cars.
Latest Forum Posts