Motoring Discussion > Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 19

Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-22760874

D Wetherspoon said it will open its first motorway pub after being given the go-ahead at services on the M40.

The firm said the bar and restaurant will open at Extra in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, after a successful application to the local council.

ruddy fabulous :(
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - Harleyman
Any bets being taken on the price list being slightly different to the bog standard High Street Spoons? ;-)
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - bathtub tom
>> Any bets being taken on the price list being slightly different to the bog standard
>> High Street Spoons? ;-)

I stupidly thought they'd be a cheap place to eat at Gatwick. Isn't it strange how all the different places there have an almost identical pricing structure?
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - CGNorwich
That's because they all serve the same tasteless processed food.
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - RattleandSmoke
Wetherspoons have restored a lot of nice buildings which would have otherwise have become a bland block of flats. Their food is actually ok for the money, it is not fine dining but it is good value. They also have a really good selection of beers.

The downside is the atmosphere is lacking. I never go there for a night out, but if I am just meeting a mate for a quick lunch it is ideal.

It is funny in Manchester city centre you get very different clientèle depending on the location. The Waterhouse is probably the best one.

Not sure I agree with some where selling alcohol on a motorway service station though. When I was passing through London last week, I didn't want to spend much and I knew Wetherpersons had their curry night on, so I went to one on Charring Cross Road. I was there for about 50 minutes, drank a pint and eat a curry all for £7 and the houses of parliament were just ten minutes walk away! Now that is good value, but then compared to Paris or Barcelona all of Londons pubs are jolly good value.

Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - RattleandSmoke
I was stuck at Barcelona Sants after spending a couple of hours sight seeing (I was already in stayed the night in Barcelona the week before). I needed some as once I arrived in a village in Southern France, my next train was an 11 hour night train. I had no choice but to use this rip off shop in the station. Was about 300% over the RIP.

Which got me thinking, both Euston and Manchester Picciddily have Sainsbury's supermarkets in them at normal price. It seems us Brits no longer fall for the con of paying extra because you are a captive audience!.

That said WH Smith still seem to be getting away with it. My point being I do wonder how Wetherspoons will behave with a captive audience! I limited experience of Wetherspoons in airports were that they were standard price, as I far as I can remember.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 4 Jun 13 at 00:48

>>
>> Which got me thinking, both Euston and Manchester Picciddily have Sainsbury's supermarkets in them at
>> normal price. It seems us Brits no longer fall for the con of paying extra
>> because you are a captive audience!.

You don't use motorway services then.... ;-)
I think maccy D charge the same price. So do Gregs.
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - Old Navy
>> You don't use motorway services then.... ;-)
>>
>>

Does anyone in their right mind? :-)

The chances of arriving just behind a convoy of pensioners / football supporters coaches is too high. :-)
YEAH, Damn Pensioners, should be at work........
I have seen people queuing on slip roads to get into packed MSAs when there have been excellent pubs, cafes, and shops at the junction a couple of miles, (minutes) further on. Crazy.
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - Pat
That's because they just want somewhere to eat their packed lunch and use the free toilets which the rest of us have to pay for with grossly inflated prices.

I parked the lorry on Corley services one night and paid £18 (I believe it is £25 now). When I went into the restaurant to get a meal I found no seats whatsoever as there was three coachloads of schoolchildren on a trip sat eating packed lunches along with their teachers. They were allowed to collect free sachets of sauce etc. to put on them, along with straws for the drinks they had brought with them.
No doubt they were all told to use the loo, and wash their hands.

It all costs money to clean up, replace and replenish and turns away paying customers.

Pat
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - Duncan
>> The chances of arriving just behind a convoy of pensioners / football supporters coaches is
>> too high. :-)
>>

Or grumpy ex-matelots?
>> Or grumpy ex-matelots?
>>

Who can make a sensible choice on occasion. :-)
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - idle_chatterer
>>
>> I stupidly thought they'd be a cheap place to eat at Gatwick. Isn't it strange
>> how all the different places there have an almost identical pricing structure?
>>

Whilst retailers no-doubt take advantage of the captive market in these places, you have to remember that they are often required to pay very high rents for these sites compared to the high st. They may need to pay staff extra too due to unsocial hours (although I suspect they don't).

What irritates me is that (perhaps necessarily) you can't take drinks through airport security, you're then expected to pay inflated prices for the drinks the retailers have taken through security.....

I heard on the news this morning that 'spoons would not be asking if their customers were drivers, interesting concept, I can imagine some of the answers. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 4 Jun 13 at 07:57
>>I can imagine some of the answers. :-)

Specially from 'spoons customers.......
>> >>I can imagine some of the answers. :-)
>>
>> Specially from 'spoons customers.......
>>

Wonder when the first one will take his electric buggy down the motorway to sample his 9 am pint?
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - Duncan
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-22760874
>>
>> D Wetherspoon said it will open its first motorway pub after being given the go-ahead
>> at services on the M40.

>> ruddy fabulous :(
>>

Excellent news. I agree with Zero - for once!

Just when you think life couldn't get any better! I can't wait to try it out.
 Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40 - Mr. Ecs
When it does open and you happen to be passing, just give that slip road onto the M40 a wide berth.
Latest Forum Posts