Motoring Discussion > JD Power 2013 survey Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 21

JD Power 2013 survey - L'escargot
www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2013/full-results/265893

I did a Car4play search and didn't come up with anything so I assume it's a new subject.
 JD Power 2013 survey - Notdoctorchris
Interesting to see the Citroen DS3 in 4= position. My son bought one, is delighted with it. No problems, though he does very low mileage, and it is a delight to travel in.
Also, the Fiat Panda, my favourite small car for the past 8 years (in 4x4 form), has plummeted to 112. It used to score a lot higher up the table. This reflects my own feelings about this car, I've dumped it in favour of the Dacia Duster 4x4, especially as pricing for the new model Panda is silly and the car is overloaded with bling.
 JD Power 2013 survey - DP
BMW's mid-table position reflects my personal experience. Nice cars. Not reliable enough.

The Japanese don't seem to do quite as well this time. Three manufacturers (Mitsubishi, Suzuki and Mazda) solidly in the bottom half of the table. All beaten by Renault, which is a tremendous improvement for them.

Would have expected the Koreans to have done better based on anecdotal evidence from owners that I know.
 JD Power 2013 survey - Zero

>> Would have expected the Koreans to have done better based on anecdotal evidence from owners
>> that I know.

I didn't, Owners only buy it because of the 7 year warranty. Why you would buy a car expecting it to go wrong in the first 7 years is beyond me.
 JD Power 2013 survey - ToMoCo
>> I didn't, Owners only buy it because of the 7 year warranty. Why you would
>> buy a car expecting it to go wrong in the first 7 years is beyond
>> me.

I think people buy them because of (perhaps) perceived VFM.

Extra warranty is just a bonus, no?
 JD Power 2013 survey - DP
I know a few people with KIAs and they all seem incredibly vocal about how fabulous they are.

I have no feelings (or real interest) either way to be honest.

>> I think people buy them because of (perhaps) perceived VFM.

Perhaps perceived, Yes. They are no cheaper now than an equivalent (once you have factored in your dealer discount)

>> Extra warranty is just a bonus, no?

No, its one of the primary reasons people buy them. Friend of mine just blanked buying the excellent, and better Ford Ka, for a Rio. Similar price, similar spec.

"Ah but its got a 7 year warranty" she said.
 JD Power 2013 survey - ToMoCo
Wouldn't it be KA/Picanto & Fiesta/Rio though, so a bigger car than a KA for the same money?

I'll take your word for it that the Ford is better though.
 JD Power 2013 survey - Mr. Ecs
7 year warranty. With 7 years dealership servicing. It's not free.
 JD Power 2013 survey - movilogo
Main dealers are not always more expensive compared to indies especially for non-luxury brands like Kia.

Also, it is not mandatory to get it serviced by main dealer to keep warranty valid (as per EU laws).

>> I know a few people with KIAs and they all seem incredibly vocal about how fabulous they are.

I love my Cee'd :-)
Last edited by: movilogo on Tue 4 Jun 13 at 13:45
 JD Power 2013 survey - Mr. Ecs
"Main dealers are not always more expensive compared to indies especially for non-luxury brands like Kia.

Also, it is not mandatory to get it serviced by main dealer to keep warranty valid (as per EU laws)."

I know this. You still have to pay 7 years servicing for the warranty, wherever you get it done. Whereas after a 3 year warranty, I can service it myself or get a cash job done on it for the next four years. Unless you need to get anything done under warranty you will have paid a lot more than me over 7 years, no matter where you decide to have it worked on.
>> "Main dealers are not always more expensive compared to indies especially for non-luxury brands like
>> Kia.
>>
>> Also, it is not mandatory to get it serviced by main dealer to keep warranty
>> valid (as per EU laws)."

EU laws don't cover extended warranty.
 JD Power 2013 survey - Dave

>> The Japanese don't seem to do quite as well this time. Three manufacturers (Mitsubishi, Suzuki
>> and Mazda) solidly in the bottom half of the table.

Maybe something to do with their tie-ups with Citroen/Peugeot, Fiat, and Ford.
 JD Power 2013 survey - Boxsterboy
>> Would have expected the Koreans to have done better based on anecdotal evidence from owners
>> that I know.
>>

There was recent ADAC (sort of German AA/RAC) data that showed that Kia/Hyundai were one of the more likely cars to break down, proportionate to membership numbers. I think it was in the Motoring Torygraph a couple of weeks ago?
 JD Power 2013 survey - No FM2R
Trouble is with this and similar surveys is that the sampling is biased and flawed. They make good reading and entertainment, but really only the most broad brush conclusions can be drawn from them.
 JD Power 2013 survey - Old Navy
A bit like the owners forums, if you went by the proportion with defects you would think all cars are unreliable rather than the small number represented.
 JD Power 2013 survey - movilogo
Lost interest in these surveys because

1. same make/model's position varies widely in subsequent years.
2. sample selection criteria is not known. I never got an invitation to take part in any of these.
3. Lower rated cars are not offered at discount - so proves these rating don't really affect their sales figures
 JD Power 2013 survey - Armel Coussine
>> I've dumped it in favour of the Dacia Duster 4x4,

Those look good and practical to me. How does it seem in daily use Ndc? Any major or nagging annoyances yet?
 JD Power 2013 survey - Alanovich
>> >> I've dumped it in favour of the Dacia Duster 4x4,
>>
>> Those look good and practical to me. How does it seem in daily use Ndc?
>> Any major or nagging annoyances yet?

Saw quite a few being used as taxis in Paris last week. Odd seeing SUV taxis.
 JD Power 2013 survey - Notdoctorchris
>> Those look good and practical to me. How does it seem in daily use Ndc?
>> Any major or nagging annoyances yet?
>>
I've owned the Duster for just over 4 months now and driven 6,000 miles.
The only issue I've taken it back to the dealer with was the front wipers which from day one streaked the screen very badly in rain. I have to admit the replacement Valeo, flat blade wipers are not a lot better. The recent hot weather has resulted in the handbrake ratchet feeling a bit less secure when the handbrake is fully applied. It isn't actually insecure, I will see how this goes and bring it up at service time.
I've had none of the water leaks that are a burning issue on the Duster forum. I have noticed some faint rust discolouration near the edge of a couple of underbonnet panels. Again, this has been a big issue on the forum. Again, I will bring it to the dealer's attention at the first service.
The petrol-engined, base model 4x4 that I chose has lived up to expectations as a reliable and practical means of transport. It's an easy and relaxing car to drive as long as you don't want to cruise the motorway at 85+mph.
I expected the fuel consumption to be in the 30s so can live with it. I wanted to avoid a turbodiesel and didn't want to spend a lot of money on an unknown car so the petrol engine was my only choice. I'm sure it's quieter and smoother than the diesel.
I would recommend this car to other "Captain Sensibles" out there.
 JD Power 2013 survey - Old Navy
>> I would recommend this car to other "Captain Sensibles" out there.
>>

I have never been accused of being sensible but the Duster is on my list for an urban runabout at replacement time. Our council seem to be obsessed with speed bumps and pothole development so something simple and robust may be appropriate.
 JD Power 2013 survey - L'escargot
What Car? magazine's true mpg calculator is interesting. www.whatcar.com/truempg/my-true-mpg
Latest Forum Posts