Motoring Discussion > Euro 6 & Emissions Green Issues
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 5

Euro 6 & Emissions - Robbie34
I have copied this below from another forum as I don't get the Sunday Times, and I can't access the Internet version.

The Euro 6 requirements cut the permissible amount of oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) emitted by new cars by more than half from 180 to 80 mg/km with effect from September 2015. One firm of consultants has estimated that as current diesel engines cannot be made to achieve this level, new engines each costing around £750 more to produce will be required. Whereas technological leaps forward were previously relatively simple to achieve, these new low emissions levels are difficult and hence very expensive.
On top of this from 2014 in order to achieve a 5* NCAP safety rating, cars will require radar-operated automatic emergency braking systems. In addition a new air-con coolant costing an extra £50 per car will be required.

All this, together with the already compulsory daytime running lights and electronic stability control will, it is argued, make it uneconomical to fit such an expensive diesel engine into 'cars at the lower end of the market'. The negative effect will be that by causing drivers to hang on to their current cars for longer, this will raise rather than reduce pollution levels.

These new requirements will not, of course, apply to the millions of cars sold in other parts of the world such as China and European manufacturers fear that by 'being more catholic than the Pope' their future survival prospects in international markets will be severely affected. According to the manufacturers, the EU would be better off concentrating on cleaning up lorries and machinery that produce high NOx emissions.

The next battle will come when in the next 6 years the CO2 emissions of every car sold in Europe will have to be cut from 132 to 95gm/km and the only way to achieve this will be by selling more hybrid and electric vehicles.

I can see European car firms going under with this plethora of regulations from our EC masters.
 Euro 6 & Emissions - Zero
makers have whined, complained and said it cant be done at every previous EU step to reduce emissions, and every time they have produced the goods when required without enormous expense.

At the small cheaper end of the market, diesel engines are not the best solution anyway, being too heavy, which is why we now have a plethora of small, efficient, turbo petrol engines producing performance and economy figures close to diesel lumps.

The car industry is notoriously slothful and stuck in its ways when it comes to environmental issues, and needs a kick up the ass every time to move on.

The article is industry inspired scare mongering. Not the first either.
 Euro 6 & Emissions - DP
I agree Zero, but look at the reliability, useability and durability compromises that Euro IV and V have forced on the modern diesel engine. Yes, they make the numbers, but the number of eye-wateringly expensive components, and the sheer sophistication of the electronics required to do so mean they are a prospect for the brave only once out of warranty. Should do big mileage OK, but will have you crying into your cheque book if it doesn't.

BMW have Euro 6 compliant diesel engines as an option now on the 3-series (and maybe others). It can be done, but at what cost?
Last edited by: DP on Tue 4 Jun 13 at 11:01
 Euro 6 & Emissions - rtj70
It's not only BMW with euro 6 diesels already. Mazda's engines in the Mazda6 are euro 6 too.
 Euro 6 & Emissions - TeeCee
>> The car industry is notoriously slothful and stuck in its ways
>> when it comes to environmental issues
>>

Which tells you one thing and one thing only:
"Oo iz greener, yes?" is not a selling point worth spit.

Personally speaking, the top drivers are price, reliability and "how much I like it", in that order. "Greenness" is at the bottom of the priority list, along with things like the number of NCAP stars and cupholders it has.
 Euro 6 & Emissions - commerdriver
given the sales of company cars where emissions cost real money to the tax man, it is a great selling point for new cars.
Why do you think the 3 series is virtually the de facto choice in its sector with the vw/audi close behind?
Latest Forum Posts