Motoring Discussion > Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 9

Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - L'escargot
When I try to enter a house number in our street into the destination in our car's built-in satnav, it defaults to number 4 and won't allow it to be altered. Is this because the satnav's database thinks there is only one house (no.4) in our street? Ours is the only location/street I've had this problem with. I discovered the problem when trying to enter our "home address" by means of this method ~ I could have just specified "use current location" but I was trying to see what difference it would make. Where do satnav databases get their information from?
 Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - AnotherJohnH
As it's a good idea not to set it to the exact home address, is the satnav being helpful?
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Wed 5 Jun 13 at 08:19
 Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - Old Navy
My Tomtom gives a "House numbers not available" for my street. I originally assumed it was because it was new build but it was completed about ten years ago. The postcode is reasonably accurate though. I put the nearest main road junction in as my "Home" location.
 Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - Crankcase
For my address, the iPhone TomTom tells me to turn into my own drive exactly. I notice that for some bizarre reason my actual drive and turning area at the back of the house is actually on the map, so perhaps that's why. But yes, the house number is in it for me.
 Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - L'escargot
>> As it's a good idea not to set it to the exact home address, is
>> the satnav being helpful?
>>

I don't think so. If I enter the postcode (which covers 38 unevenly spaced properties over a distance of over a quarter of a mile) and let it direct me there from outside the area it still directs me to no.4 ~ well, opposite actually because it thinks that no.4 is on the opposite side of the road to what it actually is! No, I'm convinced that it thinks that there is only the one property in our postcode.

As I asked in my original post, where do satnav databases get their information from? I think it's time for me to point out the anomaly to Ford Motor Company.
 Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - helicopter
Best way out is to sell up your shell and buy and move into No 4.......

Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - AnotherJohnH
>> As I asked in my original post, where do satnav databases get their information from?

Names like Navteq and Tele Atlas spring to mind. Although there have been a number take-overs in living memory.

>> I think it's time for me to point out the anomaly to Ford Motor Company.

Best of luck with getting a result from that.

Getting up to date maps is the bane of Satnav users, but current Tomtom's have user provided updates most weeks, and quarterly map updates.
 Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - Fenlander
After resisting for a while I've been a keen satnav user for over 3yrs now.... but I'd never want to rely on them to find the right house and take me up the drive.

Seems to me with the different ones I've used they must have, broadly speaking, access to the same data but the way their sofware uses that data seems to vary quite a lot.
 Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - Zero

>> As I asked in my original post, where do satnav databases get their information from?

There are two sources. Navtec and Tele Atlas.

>> I think it's time for me to point out the anomaly to Ford Motor Company.

I wouldn't waste the stamp, 1/ they wont be in the least bit interested and 2/ they wont lift a finger to do anything about it even if they could. Maybe tell you to buy the next map update when it comes out. Probably about 90 quid. And your house number wont be on there either.

Its not as tho you don't even know where your own house is.
 Ford Focus III - Entering a house number into satnav destination - rtj70
>> where do satnav databases get their information from

For mapping of postcodes to map locations, they rely on the Post Office to provide the data. This data is provided to the mapping companies (Navteq/Nokia and Teleatlas/TomTom). These companies provide the sat nav data including to the sat nav manufactures (in the case of TomTom and Nokia themselves too).

Back to the original problem, it sounds to me if the unit is ignoring the house number and using the centre point for the post code. Does it do the same for other streets? What if you enter your address in another sat nav or even on Google maps?
Latest Forum Posts