Motoring Discussion > Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 14

Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - bathtub tom
I was coming along this stretch the other evening, towards dusk.

I swear I saw a double flash from an overhead gantry on the opposite carriageway.

This stretch has recently acquired variable speed limits and hard shoulder working.

Do they still need a flash? I would've thought there was more modern technology.
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - rtj70
I would have thought the flash is there partly because the approved cameras use a flash but also because it tells drivers someone has been caught. And sometimes you might find there's a flash unit and no camera.
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - Old Navy
I have seen gantry cameras flashing, not at me fortunately, but gantries are easy enough to spot. :-)
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - Zero
They may be flashing, but are they actually working yet....
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - FocalPoint
I've seen them apparently randomly flash cars that were clearly travelling less than the NSL. Whether it has anything to do with the variable speed limit I don't know - it's hard to judge when it's happening on the other carriageway.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Wed 5 Jun 13 at 18:24
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - Shiny
Yes, they're working, but only when the variable speed limits are in force.
You sure, last report said they were not, as they had no approval. They flash, but nothing happens.

Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - TeeCee
>> I've seen them apparently randomly flash cars that were clearly travelling less than the NSL.
>>

I reckon that the ANPR bit works on infra-red / whatever, but the evidential photo with the driver needs flash. Thus your variable camera is flashing one because the system's already worked out he exceeded the limit in passing between the two measurement points.
He has, of course, slowed down for the camera.....

That's a guess. Anyone care to back that up / tear it down?
>> >> I've seen them apparently randomly flash cars that were clearly travelling less than the
>> NSL.
>> >>
>>
>> I reckon that the ANPR bit works on infra-red / whatever, but the evidential photo
>> with the driver needs flash. Thus your variable camera is flashing one because the system's
>> already worked out he exceeded the limit in passing between the two measurement points.
>> He has, of course, slowed down for the camera.....
>>
>> That's a guess. Anyone care to back that up / tear it down?

There is no infra red illuminator on the variable speed limit gantries. Even the ones on the Specs are so poor they have to add supplemental illumination at night to make them work.

Anyway, I am yet to be convinced that the M1/M25 variable speed cameras are actually "working" It was admitted a few months back they were not.
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - bathtub tom
Could they be flashing illegal use of the hard shoulder when hard shoulder working isn't enabled?

There appears to be camera monitoring, presumably to open hard shoulder working when necessary. Do you think those cameras provide sufficient evidence to catch illegal use?
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - FocalPoint
"Could they be flashing illegal use of the hard shoulder when hard shoulder working isn't enabled?"

Who knows? I have never actually seen illegal use of the hard shoulder on this section of motorway - but what I have seen (frequently) is idiots who either cannot read or who are brain-dead and pull out of their lane to avoid using the hard shoulder even when it's available. Sometimes it results in near misses, as always (by definition) the scenario is heavy traffic.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 6 Jun 13 at 12:53
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - AnotherJohnH
>> Anyway, I am yet to be convinced that the M1/M25 variable speed cameras are actually "working"....

A golden opportunity for you to prove a point, Z?

Could be a follow up to "The joys of home servicing" thread:

"The Joy of Specs" by Dr Zero Comfort.
I have actually done it on the M25. Tho there comes a time when they will be working at one point, so when do you stop "testing"

Certainly everyone else is currently ignoring them.
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - Dutchie
I got flashed between the two junctions driving on the hard shoulder driving to London.Traffic not that heavy.Sign said allowed driving on the hard shoulder my speed was about 65/. 66 mph.

About three weeks ago now.
 Cameras. M1 J12 - 13 - Fursty Ferret
>> I have actually done it on the M25. Tho there comes a time when they
>> will be working at one point, so when do you stop "testing"
>>
>> Certainly everyone else is currently ignoring them.
>>

That's the assumption I've been working on. They're particularly useless between J14-17 late at night, where they mistake the Polish lorry driver who's stopped for a nap on the hard shoulder for a traffic jam. I'm damned if I'm creeping up a deserted motorway at 3am at 40 mph, and so far (touch wood, sacrifice small child etc) nothing has come through the post.

Busy periods I do what everyone else is doing. At least if they ticket all of us I'll be in a big group.
Latest Forum Posts