Motoring Discussion > Cheap, economical motorway muncher Buying / Selling
Thread Author: apm Replies: 11

Cheap, economical motorway muncher - apm
Hi all,

Considering job options. I live in Kent suburbs, but may look at a job in Portsmouth.

Plan would be to drive to Pompey monday am, stay somewhere locally on monday and tuesday nights, drive home wednesday night and work from home thursday & friday.

So, the main car will stay around for the wife to use. I will need something for the journey and also as a useful but potentially interesting second car.

Current main car is a 56 Merc W211 E220 CDI estate. current second car is a 1989 E30 BMW 325i cab.

Current second car not really suitable for the job (high petrol consumption and doesn't reacy well to being left outside).

So, will need to be within price bracket of second car's value (about £2k), comfortable for the journey and reasonably economical. Something reasonably interesting would be good!

Cheers in advance,

Alex.
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - WillDeBeest
Volvo S60 D5 is what you need. Did the long-commute job for me for three years without it or me complaining. Looks appropriate next to an LEC on the drive too.

Want to make me an offer?
};---)
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - Westpig
tinyurl.com/ntarolq
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - Dog
tinyurl.com/adojqo
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - WillDeBeest
That's the horrid and oxymoronic X-type Sport, WP. Colleague of mine had a black one like that, but he had less of the oxy about him.

Tweed jacket or trainers, not both at once.
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - Westpig
>> That's the horrid and oxymoronic X-type Sport, WP. Colleague of mine had a black one
>> like that, but he had less of the oxy about him.
>>
>> Tweed jacket or trainers, not both at once.
>>

Yeah, fair point..but all the others around that price bracket were 'classic' trim...i.e. poverty spec....so it was the best of the bunch.
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - Armel Coussine

>> Tweed jacket or trainers, not both at once.

Why on earth not? That Mondeo Jaguar says it presses apm's essential buttons. If I were he I would take a look at it. It could be just the thing if it's sound. He isn't asking for a posemobile.
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - apm
Thanks all.

We used to have an S60 D5, great car. So comfy!

I was thinking something smaller, maybe Focus sized? Also surprised no-one's suggested a Mondeo TDCI!

Cheers,

Alex.
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - Dave_
>> Also surprised no-one's suggested a Mondeo TDCi!

Useable Mk III TDCis seem to be getting a bit thin on the ground lately. All the ones for sale online look like they're just around the corner from a big bill. Shame, because when they work they're great.
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - PeterS
Surely the Merc is the ideal long distance commuter vehicle, particularly if you're only doing the return once a week and so not racking up huge miles. It'd also be at home from Thursday to Sunday, so could you get better value by just changing the car that's at home 7 days a week. If practicalitys not critical, but reliability and economy are, how about changing the BMW for an MX5?
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - TeeCee
Rover 75 turbodiesel? You can get a tidy one at that price if you shop around.

Mechanically bulletproof and easily capable of spaceship milages. Comfortable, long-legged luxo-barge.
Only known issue is that the clutch master cylinder tends to go at around 100k and is a bit of a swine to replace, racking up the labour charges here.

Check electric toys all work. Usually reliable, things not working is a good indication of neglectful previous owners.
 Cheap, economical motorway muncher - Dave_
Agreed on the Rover 75, one of our drivers has an X reg on 215k miles. He tows with it, runs gangs of trade plate drivers all over the country in it (i.e. to move 4 unreg vans from Southend to Birmingham today), never lets him down.
Latest Forum Posts