Motoring Discussion > Rather Cross. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 11

Rather Cross. - R.P.
To the GS out for a canter today. As I was performing my pre-ride checks, I noticed that the Go Pro Camera Housing mounted on a crash bar was missing, it has clearly been cut off by using a knife to "saw" through two plastic support stanchions - the thieving little gits could not have unscrewed it as it had been tightened by a spanner and screwdriver and had survived 100mph headwinds unbowed. Really annoying. Dome some miles recently and I reckon I know where I had it last and where it was subsequently parked. I seriously hope the thieves come to some serious harm in trying to film their chav like activities. Luckily the camera itself is at home.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 19 Jul 13 at 01:22
 Rather Cross. - Manatee
I wonder if people like that think it's ok to steal their stuff if you like the look of it.

It's hard not to hope something unpleasant awaits them. Un-Christian, but so am I.
 Rather Cross. - Zero
one wonders if they even knew what it was, and hence why they needed it. Highly unlikely one knows what a go-por mount is, and it is of course now useless to them.
 Rather Cross. - Harleyman
Often the case that, since you've got something and they haven't, they'll damage or destroy yours so that in their mind you're now equal to them.

Pointless I know, but I still get really angry when I see the glass of a bus shelter or telephone kiosk trashed for no other reason than the perpetrator is too much of a coward or wimp to hit anything else.
 Rather Cross. - Robin O'Reliant
Many years ago now I had some front spotlights on a car. They never actually worked but they looked rather neat if you like that sort of thing. A pair of covers made them look quite cool, they probably cost less than a quid at the time but I gave up on them after the third set was nicked.

The little petty criminals you come across irritate far more than proper villains.
 Rather Cross. - henry k
>>Many years ago now I had some front spotlights on a car.
>> They never actually worked but they looked rather neat if you like that sort of thing.
>>
I had a pair of factory standard Wipac spot lights on my 1600E
In spite of parking it nose in, in a staff multi storey carpark the spot lights went, I guess to bling up an ordinary MKII. I of course had to buy expensive replacement to keep my image up to scratch.
From the same site I also lost a Rostyle spare wheel from the boot. Not the sort of item you regularly check and a much more serious loss. !!!
When I reported my loss of wheel to the local nick "Jjust copy the item above , in the log, sir" " it looks like someone has been targetting 1600Es for a set of Rostyle wheels" :-(
 Rather Cross. - Pezzer
I bet they did ! They are all the rage with Extreme sports/BMX/Boards etc and all kinds of You Tube clips using them. They have probably acquired (nicked) the camera and needed the accessories.

Go Pro - SteelSpark
>> To the GS out for a canter today. As I was performing my pre-ride checks,
>> I noticed that the Go Pro Camera Housing

Hi RP. Sorry to hear that your housing was nicked. A pox upon them.

However, on the subject on Go Pro cameras, are they any good to use as a standard camcorder substitute too?

I was thinking of buying one for a few projects I have dreamed up, but also hoped to use it as a replacement for my bulky old Sony HD camcorder (family gatherings, holidays, that kind of stuff).

Go Pro - R.P.
They actually use these for action shots on the Beeb - HD quality. I have a clip I can upload to YT later tonight. The actual camera itself might be a bit small for hand held stuff. They may actually maker an adapter.
 Go Pro - SteelSpark
Thanks RP.

Would be great to see your video, rather than the GoPro marketing ones, to see some real life results.

I understand that the sound isn't great, is that true? Not so important for action videos, but not good so good for a full camcorder replacement.

I may well buy one anyway, and then see if I need to stump up for another camcorder too.

I understand that it can take 4K footage too (the Black version, at least), and I did read recently that some people are buying cameras that can take 4K video and using stills as very good quality photos.
 Go Pro - Zero
>> Thanks RP.
>>
>> Would be great to see your video, rather than the GoPro marketing ones, to see
>> some real life results.
>>
>> I understand that the sound isn't great, is that true? Not so important for action
>> videos, but not good so good for a full camcorder replacement.

Its not designed to replace a full camcorder. Its designed as a compact, mostly hands free, video camera.

>> I may well buy one anyway, and then see if I need to stump up
>> for another camcorder too.
>>
>> I understand that it can take 4K footage too (the Black version, at least), and
>> I did read recently that some people are buying cameras that can take 4K video
>> and using stills as very good quality photos.

To take good quality photos you need good quality optics. Something most home camcorders fall down on, even 4k ones.
 Go Pro - SteelSpark
>> Its not designed to replace a full camcorder. Its designed as a compact, mostly hands
>> free, video camera.

Thanks Zero. I'm just wondering if it might be suitable as standard camcorder for infrequent use. At the moment I use the HD video function on a stills camera, far more than I actually use my camcorder (simply for ease of transport).

>> To take good quality photos you need good quality optics. Something most home camcorders fall
>> down on, even 4k ones.

Good point. The stories I read about people taking 4K frames, did relate to DSLRs that had a video function, so they would presumably have good optics.

Would be good to see what quality you can get from one of these GoPro. I might have a search later, no doubt somebody will have posted some somewhere out there.
Latest Forum Posts