Motoring Discussion > Channel Tunnel - Cheapest Deals Miscellaneous
Thread Author: 832ark Replies: 7

Channel Tunnel - Cheapest Deals - 832ark
Hi

I'm off driving in France for a couple of weeks early September and looking to find the cheapest deals for the tunnel. Any ideas where I might find special offers etc as I've not managed to find any. Currently looking at around £145 return vs £60 on the ferry.

Many Thanks

Al
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 27 May 10 at 12:49
 Channel Tunnel - Chepest Deals - Bromptonaut
Tesco clubcard points have, or used to have, a very good exchange rate for shuttle trains. Otherwise, short of travelling at extreme off peak I doubt you'll gey much better than £145.

IME the time saving on the chunnel is over played. By the time you've checked in, faffed about loading/unloading and exited on the French side it's really not that much better than the ferry.

Add in the greater comfort of the ferry and its opportunity as a break and I'd rather save the difference towards a decent meak in France!!
 Channel Tunnel - Chepest Deals - Alanovich
Show me and my children a ferry and we're heaving over the side.

Give me the tunnel most of the time. I'd risk a ferry on my own, I can handle my own sensitivities, but I'm happy to pay large to avoid suffering wailing, vomiting children whenever possible!
 Channel Tunnel - Chepest Deals - CGNorwich

I suffer horribly from motion sickness and won't travel in a coach or the back of a car for that reason. Used to dread ferries but this year travelled on Norfolk Lines who using very new and remarkably well stabilised craft. A revelation. No problems at all despite sea being quite rough on one trip.
 Channel Tunnel - Chepest Deals - hobby
>> IME the time saving on the chunnel is over played.

Ermm, no its not...

To me its far more convenient, quicker and comfortable! Turn up, check in takes a couple of minutes, on the shuttle within 30/40 mins (or 20 in one case) and 40 mins later I'm driving down the motorway on the other side... I used the boat last year and it took over 2 1/2 hours all told... most of it faffing around getting on and off the thing!
 Channel Tunnel - Chepest Deals - smokie
I've used the tunnel a few times but personally prefer the ferry experience. One annoyance with the tunnel was that I arrived in good time for one crossing and was in the queue etc but they bounced me to get on a load of cars which had turned up late for their crossing.

Speedferries (RIP) also had quick loading processes and, for me, arrived in the right place.
 Channel Tunnel - Cheapest Deals - 832ark
I really like the idea of a quick crossing and have used it before I'm just not sure that I can justify twice the cost
 Channel Tunnel - Cheapest Deals - Slightlyfatdirector
For me it is the reassurance that no matter how bad the weather the tunnel runs. I have spent too long waiting for ferries that are suspended due to poor weather. Generally the tunnel is very reliable and for that reason I consider the £145 money well spent. On the ferry you also have the temptation to spend money, something that is not possible on the train!

I booked using my Tesco Club Card points where I swopped £36 worth of points for £144 worth of tunnel vouchers. Interestingly I expected them to load the price of the tickets for me using these points but the price was identical to that on the website.
Latest Forum Posts