Motoring Discussion > Reversing Sensors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 21

Reversing Sensors - BobbyG
Sitting at traffic lights today, I thought it a bit strange that the Aygo /C1/ 107 that was sitting in front of me (can't remember which variant it was) had reversing sensors on it, but the 59 plate full size luxury coach next to it didn't appear to have any!
Now maybe they have them and they are hidden, or there is a reversing camera that I couldn't see bt I thought for a vehicle that costs, I assume, well into 6 figures, that reversing sensors of some sort would be a useful gadget to have?

Also read recently that Strathclyde Police, whose vehicle repair bills are running into thousands and thousands of pounds, are now stipulating that their Focus estates to have reversinbg sensors fitted.
 Reversing Sensors - RattleandSmoke
The coach would have had at least a camera fitted some where. Its not always obvious where it is.

The C1 thing would be driven by a woman who can't drive and thus got a man to install some reverse thingys.
 Reversing Sensors - Dave_
>> driven by a woman who can't drive

Haha, don't let Pat hear you say things like that! ;-)
I wondered why the current shape Micra had them, but when you think about the average Micra driver it seems like a very reasonable idea....
 Reversing Sensors - Old Navy
>> >> driven by a woman who can't drive
>>
>> Haha, don't let Pat hear you say things like that! ;-)
>> I wondered why the current shape Micra had them, but when you think about the
>> average Micra driver it seems like a very reasonable idea....
>>

Pat can only reverse park motors that bend in the middle.
I can't park to save my life either, so I can get away with saying it :D

I can only attempt to park if the gap is at least three car lengths!
 Reversing Sensors - kb
Not a particularly pleasant post for someone new coming to the forum to read, I'd suggest...especially if it was a lady. I'm sure you meant to put a big smiley in there.

EDIT...Ah, I see a bit of compensation being applied now.
Last edited by: kb on Wed 26 May 10 at 22:09
Pat freely admits she is rubbish at parking her CRV, I have a C+E licence and I acknowledge her skill as a lorry driver.
 Reversing Sensors - Runfer D'Hills
>> I have a C+E licence

That some kind of religious qualification ?

:-)
If you need to ask....... :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 26 May 10 at 22:19
>> Pat freely admits she is rubbish at parking her CRV. >>

Although I have not seen Pat's driving, I suspect her idea of rubbish parking is something many should aspire to.
 Reversing Sensors - Pat
Seriously, it annoys me that I can't seem to get it off to perfection.

All lorry drivers have what we refer to as radar:)
There are 4 corners on the trailer and another 4 on the unit. A lot of the time most of those are out of sight, but you can tell within an inch or less just how close to anything they are.
Anyone who takes pride in their driving wants to know exactly the vehicles extremeties of size and performance, but I'm getting no closer.
If I hook the caravan on the back the radar comes back straight away.

Pat
Sorry I just assumed most people get my sense of humour on here by now, and will know I wasn't being completly serious! Most remember the smelly newbies next time. :)
 Reversing Sensors - -
>> Sorry I just assumed most people get my sense of humour on here by now,

we do Rattie and carry on old chap, no one could ever accuse you of claiming to be the worlds best driver.
 Reversing Sensors - Pat
Don't worry Rattle, I get your sense of humour:)

I challenge you to a drive in an artic with a fully loaded trailer .......backwards on July 31st:)

After driving only the CRV ( apart from a unit at Truckfest) since last September I'm still no better at reversing it. I haven't a clue where the tow bar is at the back and the bumper at the front seems to be too close to the windscreen!

I noticed when I was overtaking a lorry yesterday on dual carriageway that I left the perfect amount of room to let my trailer pass before pulling in! And was miffed because he didn't flash me in:)

Can I have a sticker in the back window saying please excuse my driving, my other car is an artic?

Pat
 Reversing Sensors - WillDeBeest
...flash me in...

is that what all those flashes on the motorway are for - driver B letting driver A know that it's safe to pull in? I'd always imagined it was just some sort of club-members' salute - and thought it was a bit pathetic when someone in a white van or a three-tonner tried to join in with the big boys. (Or, indeed, girls.)
 Reversing Sensors - Pat
Yes, that's what it's all about:)

It's more a matter of courtesy than need, but it's something lorry drivers have done as long as I can remember.

It's always welcome,even from car drivers too!

Pat
 Reversing Sensors - idle_chatterer
I have always used / understood the 'flash' protocol to mean 'your trailer will not take the front off my car off.....' (or it is safe to pull in), I often use it when in exit lanes from the M25 and a Lorry suddenly notices it's their junction...

As for reverse park sensors - had them on the last 4 cars and would never wish to do without them now, maybe I've become lazy. One tip - of the reverse park is screaming at you then there probably is something in the way - even if you can't see it, a colleague found this to his cost in his 7 series BMW when hitting a tree stump- oops.
 Reversing Sensors - L'escargot
>> It's more a matter of courtesy than need, but it's something lorry drivers have done
>> as long as I can remember.

And the overtaking vehicle gives a single flash of the indicators one way and then the other as acknowledgement and thanks when the manoeuvre is complete.
 Reversing Sensors - Pat
You're the sort we all like to meet on the road L'es:)

Pat
 Reversing Sensors - Iffy
If I am being passed by a lorry on a motorway/dual carriageway, I tend to ease off the throttle a fraction.

Less chance of slowing down other drivers because the lorry passes much more quickly.

But it's partly selfish on my part.

The lorry is at its greatest threat to me when it is alongside, so the shorter time it's in that postion, the better.

And I do tend to 'flash the lorry in' after it's passed.

Reversing Sensors - hobby
>> And I do tend to 'flash the lorry in' after it's passed.
>>

I take it its not happenning as much these days from car drivers, then, Pat? I've always done it as well, though I think most of us who have admitted to it come from a generation where it was regarded as a common courtesy!
 Reversing Sensors - Pat
No, it certainly doesn't happen as much now and we also notice that younger lorry drivers don't bother either, which is a shame.

It's the same as the flash of headlights and thumbs down sign in the windscreen always means speed trap ahead.
Flash and wave up and down out of the side window or windscreen means slow down because the road is blocked.
Most lorry drivers will flash cars coming towards then as well as none of us think speed cameras are really fair.

It never ceases to give you that feel good factor when every mode of transport on the road can co-operate with each other, even when a cyclist pulls over to the gutter and waves us by.

It's always good to spend as little time as possible alongside a lorry or van and I'm never happy in any mode of transport if I haven't got an 'escape route' available in an adjacent lane.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 28 May 10 at 10:23
Latest Forum Posts