Motoring Discussion > Skoda Octavia II - I've Actually Fixed Something! Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Alastairw Replies: 5

Skoda Octavia II - I've Actually Fixed Something! - Alastairw
After a long history of opening my wallet in garages to get thing fixed on the car, I decided to have a go at fixing something myself, and it actually worked, somewhat to my surprise.

The cruise control on my Octivia has never worked, and the official dealer fix is to replace the entire indicator stalk. However according to the interweb (thanks Briskoda) it can be fixed by careful dismantling, cleaning and reassembly of said stalk. This I have done, and the cruise now works - hooray!

I am sure this is pretty small beer for many of the experts on here, but I consider this to be a minor triumph, and wanted to share it.
 Skoda Octavia II - I've Actually Fixed Something! - Clk Sec
Well done, Alastair. I hope you are keeping well.
 Skoda Octavia II - I've Actually Fixed Something! - Old Navy
Excellent! I hope it is the start of more money saving jobs, how about a service next? I have found Haynes manuals useful in the past, and have found a wealth of info on owners club forums.
 Skoda Octavia II - I've Actually Fixed Something! - Iffy
...I consider this to be a minor triumph...

So do I - well done.

Felt the same way after doing an oil change recently, even if it cost more than at the dealer because I had to buy a £44 top sucker to do it.

Skoda Octavia II - I've Actually Fixed Something! - Skoda
Good man :-) There's nowt to rival the feeling of mending it yourself!
 Skoda Octavia II - I've Actually Fixed Something! - Redviper
Well done, there is great satisfaction of fixing things yourself, I (with guidance) rebuilt a VW Polo Engine, and the 1.3 Engine out of my MK1 Astra - however then the cars where a lot more simple to work on and I had the luxury of been able to use a farm workshop that was fully kitted out for such work.

Nowadays, I don’t have such luxury, and what with complex electronics canbus systems, and nowhere to put your hands anywhere under the bonnet, because every thing is packed in, im very reluctant to do things myself encase I break something, and because its been about 10 years since I did the former – my confidence has dropped.

However my friend in his Astra, retro fitted cruise control simply unplugging the stalk, putting in a stalk with Cruise control and having it switched on via the Tech 2 – no complex adding of components, and wiring.
Last edited by: Redviper on Fri 28 May 10 at 08:41
Latest Forum Posts