Motoring Discussion > Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 9

Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - RattleandSmoke
I am not sure these will sell

cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Lada-Niva-excellent-value-not-Defender-/320526298398?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aa0db2d1e

On the face off it they are much cheaper than a Defender but when you add VAT on top you have paid nearly £10k for a left hand drive car with no easy access to parts. He then goes on to say RHD may be an option at extra cost. It is getting very close to defender money.

Not sure what to think of these? I can't see what these will offer than a second hand defender won't.
 Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - Harleyman
They do seem to have a bit of a cult following amongst the off-road enthusiasts, apparently they're virtually indestructible and as good if not better off-road than a Landy!

Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - Stuu
The cheapest Defender is just short of £20k. Not exactly close is it.
 Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - bathtub tom
In their day they were rated almost as highly as the old 4X4 Pandas, IIRC.
 Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - Armel Coussine
A bit smaller than a Land Rover and sure to be crude in some ways, but crude is all right with this sort of car. Looks damn good value to me.
 Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - L'escargot
"Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK"

It might be a gal.
 Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - Skoda
What engine would it be, he's saying GM based with a dizzy? Wonder if it's fuel injected, must be. At almost £1k the LPG option is expensive, it must be an SGI kit then.

I'd love one of these. How cool.
 Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - Iffy
..."Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK"...It might be a gal...

Les,

The importer is called Mark Key, I've never met the person, but I'm just sure it's a man, I dunno why, just a feeling.

Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - Bagpuss
Not sure if import duty needs adding to the price. Would still be cheap though.

You don't see these things very often in Russia any more. They are capable offroad but not particuarly reliable, but are mechanically simple enough to be fixed with a big hammer when they do go wrong. They are mainly bought by a hard core of fans who make their puchasing decisions based on the irrational desire to want to own one. There are one make offroad rallies and various other Niva events.

The japanese stuff bought by every one else in Russia is mechanically far more complex but also far more reliable.
 Guy importing Lada Nivas to the UK - Market? - Dave
They're available here in Sweden from a few dealers. They're 10K kronor, so about £9K. They come dinitroled, have a fitted radio, and extra soundproofing. Can't say as I've seen any new ones on the road, but there's a few old ones struggling on. I believe they're still quite popular in Finland.
Latest Forum Posts