Motoring Discussion > Ford - 2.0 Automatic - Mondeo or Focus? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 6

Ford - 2.0 Automatic - Mondeo or Focus? - Auntie Lockbrakes
For the same price, is there any real difference in reliability, economy, safety,... between these 2 cars:

2006 or 2007 Mondeo LX 2.0 petrol automatic (saloon or hatch)
2007 or 2008 Focus LX 2.0 petrol automatic (5-door hatch)

Both same price, both very similar mileage (approx. 30000).

Maybe the Focus is a bit lighter and therefore more fuel efficient?

Any big no-nos with either of them? Will mainly be used on A-roads, out of town, about 12,000 miles a year.

Ta!
 Ford - 2.0 Automatic - Mondeo or Focus? - Iffy
I prefer an auto in a bigger car, not sure why, the heavier body's slower changes of pace seem to suit an auto better.

...Any big no-nos...

Come along now, of course there aren't - they are both Fords.
 Ford - 2.0 Automatic - Mondeo or Focus? - Netsur
Personally I would go for a saloon. Generally quieter.
 Ford - 2.0 Automatic - Mondeo or Focus? - Zero
Says the man with a van ;)
I'm now leaning more towards finding a 2004/5 Focus 1.6 manual with 50-60k instead. A fair bit cheaper to buy and fuel, and presumably pretty much as reliable as a newer 06/7 2-litre?
 Ford - 2.0 Automatic - Mondeo or Focus? - Netsur
My only problem with the Mk II Focus was the deathly boring interior. At least the MkI was a conversation piece.

The difference between a six yr old Focus 1.6 and a three yr old Focus 2.0 will be fairly large and I do not think you are comparing like with like. They are both likely to be good cars for their price, but if you are buying at £3,000 you don't look at £6,000 cars.

Horses for courses, but statistically the newer car will be more reliable over the next say three years.
It seems that older Focii are scarcely cheaper than the 06/07 vintage that I was originally thinking about. Mind you the real bargains seem to be the 05/06 Mondeos with around 35-40k miles, so I'm going to focus on the Mondeo.
Latest Forum Posts