Motoring Discussion > DVLA backlog Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 5

DVLA backlog - Manatee
Didn't somebody here say recently that DVLA is a paragon of efficiency?

I decided to put a reg number I had on retention on to the MX5. Insurance renewal is 5 August so I insured it on the new number thinking to effect the change on that day (they give you about a 6 week window IIRC).

Sent off on the 12th July, arrived with them signed for on the 13th, which was a Saturday.

No sign of the response. The online account says it's still on retention, so it hasn't got lost in the post coming back.

When I rang yesterday they said they were now processing mail received on the 15th July.

They are of course closing all the local offices and now want all these transfers sent to Swansea. I think my last one came back from Luton (now shut) in about 5 days.
 DVLA backlog - Sandgrown
I transferred a number from retention to my new (to me) car at Preston local office last Friday.

It took about 20 minutes, including five minutes waiting at the checkout. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. I was told that the transfer was effective immediately and I should put new plates on the car ASAP.

Even though for many people the offices are not that local (there are only four offices in north west England) it is useful to be able to sort such matters out face to face rather than risk paperwork being rejected at Swansea because of a simple error.

It is a similar story with HMRC who are closing many of their local enquiry centres and telling taxpayers to use the dreaded call centres.
 DVLA backlog - retgwte
+ passport offices
Last edited by: retgwte on Thu 24 Oct 13 at 21:48
 DVLA backlog - Bromptonaut
Odd.

We bought a new Berlingo, delivered on 3 September. Garage declined to get involved in transfer of reg from old one quoting delays at DVLA.

Instead we did formwork ourselves posting to DVLA on Sat 7 September. All sorted including installing new plates on both cars by Fri 21 Sept.

OTOH, transfer of geriatric Xantia to auction/scrap trader effective 9 September has yet to be acknowledged.
 DVLA backlog - R.P.
Took a whole month for me to get the registration document of the 80GS...
 DVLA backlog - Dave_
About 1 in 10 of the cars I deliver has a reg transfer, including brand spankers. Whether the prestige dealers we work for are more inclined to sort it out than mainstream outlets I couldn't say, but I haven't been made aware of any deliveries delayed due to DVLA sluggishness.
Last edited by: Dave_TiD on Thu 24 Oct 13 at 23:13
Latest Forum Posts