Motoring Discussion > Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 16

Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - L'escargot
Our daughter's C3 has just suffered a second front road spring failure, on the opposite side to the first. She says it's never been raced, rallied, kerbed, or driven over road humps. It has a (heavy) diesel engine so I wonder whether this has any significance. On both occasions the spring failed somewhere in the middle.
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - hawkeye
We've had a few failures on on our C3. The longest lasting set are from when they were replaced by an independent garage rather than the dealer, implying that 3rd party springs are a better bet than originals. All our failures were at the ends. The engine is HDi 16v 90bhp. It's part of modern motoring with PSA cars and time to be philosophical.

We've discussed this before on HJ but I don't buy into this business of replacing springs in pairs. Last century when there might have been significant differences in different batches of springs, maybe.
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - -

>> We've discussed this before on HJ but I don't buy into this business of replacing
>> springs in pairs.

This does seem very regular on C3's, incidentally is the indy much cheaper?

I had a broken rear coil on the car after the winter, my indy ordered a pair without considering a single and i never queried as i would have done exactly the same.

It's not batches i'm concerned about it's whether the springs will react the same after one has covered 70K of fatigue.
How many times have we observed another car wallowing after a road undulation (not pot hole), probably shock absorbers responsible but single replacements of springs/dampers is not for me, a fast country road trip yesterday confirmed just how sure footed and pleasurable a well maintained/sprung/damped car can be.
>> All our failures were at the ends.

My caughter's were both somewhere in the middle. The first resulted in the tyre being damaged. With the second, the car dropped on that corner and she had to have it recovered on a trailer. I don't think she'll buy another C3.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 30 May 10 at 09:51
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - Mike Hannon
If she's managed never to drive over a road hump I think we should all be let into the secret of the area in which she lives. ;-)
My friend's 2004 C3 1.4 HDI has now done about 60k miles without mishap. I wonder whether she is just lucky, or she won't have to wait much longer, or French C3 springs are better quality?
>> If she's managed never to drive over a road hump I think we should all
>> be let into the secret of the area in which she lives. ;-)

I think some people exaggerate the number of speed humps they encounter.
We live 50 miles away from our daughter and the only speed hump we encounter is on the cul-de-sac approach road to the doctor's surgery.
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - swiss tony
>> I think some people exaggerate the number of speed humps they encounter.
>> We live 50 miles away from our daughter and the only speed hump we encounter
>> is on the cul-de-sac approach road to the doctor's surgery.
>>
Come to High Wycombe then, speed bumps are only outnumbered by traffic lights! (and potholes)
What you call speed humps, we probably call the Lincolnshire Wolds!
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - madf
I think some people exaggerate the number of speed humps they encounter.

Within 1 mile of where we live there are several roads with speed humps every 50 metres for 400 metres...

Needless to say , the road surfaces were poor before winter and much worse afterwards...

Part of my car buying test drive is an ability to handle speed humps..

I reckon in our small town alone there must be well over 100 humps. There is one 2 kilometre stretch of country road with speed humps every 200 metres - on average - and in one part every 50 metres.

Mind you that ends in Stoke on Trent so what can one expect?
>> >> All our failures were at the ends.
>>
>>... The first resulted in the tyre being
>> damaged.

Our C3 was recalled to have tyre protection cups fitted for when/if the springs failed. The cups are designed to contain the sharp ends of the spring and stop them piercing the tyre. I would enquire whether your daughter's car has missed a recall for this.

>> This does seem very regular on C3's, incidentally is the indy much cheaper?

Can't tell. First 2 were done by the dealer under warranty, next one just outside warranty. Last 2 together were £150; the only ones I've paid for.
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - Ted

Our C3 broke it's nearside front spring at 14K.......ridiculous.
SWMBO has to cross at least a dozen speed bumps to leave our area and get to the main road when heading for any of the kids' homes. Plus, the nearside gets the brunt of all the grids by the kerb..............she was doing a U turn on full lock about 50 ft from the house and the bang was so loud, the neighbours came out. I drove it gently down to the workshop, ordered a spring from my indy supplier and had it fixed a couple of hours later. Somewhere around £30 diy.

I won't take the caravan out by the same route, going the long way round instead, I only have one speed bump and that's as I set off. A bit more DERV but at least me pots get there in one piece !

Traded it in for the Note later and glad to see the back of the tinny thing with it's mad Sensodrive gearbox.

Ted
>> I would enquire whether your daughter's car has missed a recall for
>> this.

Thanks. I've sent her an email to let her know.
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - VxFan
>> Our C3 was recalled to have tyre protection cups fitted for when/if the springs failed.

Our old Berlingo Van at work (W reg) was also recalled to have the cups fitted.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 30 May 10 at 21:02
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - Mike Hannon
You would have thought it would have made more sense to recall the cars to fit better quality springs rather than botch up the existing set-up.
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - Ted

Too true, Mike.
I took 6 C3s in this year for software upgrades because the lights might go out suddenly.

I would have thought a better switch was the safer option........but more expensive than an hour plugged in to a compter !

Ted
>> You would have thought it would have made more sense to recall the cars to
>> fit better quality springs rather than botch up the existing set-up.
>>

Fitting new springs as Ted will testify involves taking the front strut out and replacing the spring on the bench. 2 hours per side for a professional.

The cups clamp onto the strut with 2 bolts and could be fitted by anyone without even removing the road wheel.

Clearly it made financial sense to some French accountant but it doesn't help the long term reputation of the manufacturer.
 Citroen C3 - 2nd front road spring failure on Citroën C3 - Bellboy
Fitting new springs as Ted will testify involves taking the front strut out and replacing the spring on the bench. 2 hours per side for a professional.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>wow
i did my transit last week and each side only took an hour and that included a tea break
maybe i should have worked for Citroen if their labour times are so laid back?
hang on my local one went bust..........................i wonder why ;-(
Latest Forum Posts