Motoring Discussion > 500L Si/No? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 29

500L Si/No? - Runfer D'Hills
Returned in the wee small hours of this morning from a work trip to Italy. The hire car this time turned out to be a Fiat 500L. I'd only booked a Panda sized car but for some reason I was offered an "upgrade". That usually translates as "we don't currently have any smaller ones available but we'll pretend to be doing you a favour" but hey ho I wasn't going to argue, I just wanted a car type thing to do car type stuff for a few days.

Anyway, it turned out to be a darkish red example, quite pleasing on the inside with what I felt was a fairly successful nod to retro style but with all modern conveniences, Great radio and a really funky leather bound steering wheel which was thick rimmed enough to feel right without being over large.

The rear seats fold flat onto the bench but then tip forward presumably to increase the available load height but in doing so then significantly shorten the load bay. I guess you can do what suits your luggage best.

The car I had was a diesel manual, I gather they do a 1300/85bhp and a 1600/105bhp but without checking I'm fairly sure this was the less powerful version. I do hope so because it was not all that keen on being asked to do much rapidly.

It was fairly easy to get a reasonably comfortable driving position although I never really feel totally at peace with sit up and beg style cars. However, a rake/reach adjusting steering column and and height adjustable driver's seat helped me to get it something like right for my preferences.

To drive, it was inoffensive, very light ( possibly too light and remote ) steering, easy pedal actions and a good feel to the brakes but like all taller cars it felt a bit top heavy to me, but I guess you'd get used to that.

The exterior styling was for me its worst feature. It didn't look right from any angle to my eyes ( unlike its smaller namesake which I've always thought was very cute ). Its almost as if the car had been drawn for a cartoon and somehow been accepted into the design studio. In red I couldn't help feeling it looked a bit like Postman Pat's favoured mode of transport.

Handling was just ok, acceleration leisurely but once cruising on the Autostrada it was remarkably smooth and quiet.

I did just on 500km in it and the pleasant surprise when I came to top up the diesel at the airport was that it "only" cost €40 to brim it. I think that probably shows pretty good economy. Someone could do the maths no doubt.

I find myself asking myself with all hire cars if I could live with them on a permanent basis and with this one the answer is "probably". It has a useable loadspace, it drives ok, its certainly economical and just about comfortable enough. I was never convinced by the exterior styling but then when you own a car you tend to be inside it rather than out and to me the interior is a success.

I'd never love it though, if I had one. It'd just be "the car" nothing more. I suppose that's ok.
 500L Si/No? - Armel Coussine
I love small Fiats, especially with the engine at the back. We did a lot of miles in 1969 or so with a Fiat 600 hired in Rome. And a friend had briefly a Fiat Abarth 595, a smart two-cylinder road rocket, white with a very broad dark grey stripe down each side... he is a tall man who loves small rapid cars.

I think Twin Air is the way to go with these new small ones. Try to get it to do 20mpg while averaging 78mph cross country...
Oh yeah, we hired this Punto in Spain. It was quiet, economical, did 100 a couple of times, got a bit breathless up steep hills. A bit boring really. My sister's got a diesel Grande Punto in NZ, horrid 6-speed gearbox.
Well, for a bit of audibly adenoidal trivia, apparently the 500L is built on the Punto platform. It was actually fairly boring to drive but boring in an inoffensive way if you see what I mean, did what it was built to do. Like a fridge really. Looked a bit like one too come to think.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 19 Sep 13 at 21:26
Yup, very efficient consumer product and as you say, inoffensive. Italian engineering genius writ rather quiet...
 500L Si/No? - tyro
" It didn't look right from any angle to my eyes ( unlike its smaller namesake which I've always thought was very cute )."

Exactly. The thing I don't understand about the 500L is that in giving it the name "500L" one expects something of comparable style and attractiveness to the 500. But it just isn't. The 500 has been around for 6 years, and I still cheer up every time I see one and quite fancy the idea of having one. But the 500L looks like just another car.
Last edited by: tyro on Thu 19 Sep 13 at 21:31
My Italian colleagues surmised that the 500L is an attempt to mirror the diversification of the "MINI" brand. I don't really get some of those variants either but if they sell, well, fair play to them.

I suppose, for totally irrational reasons I'd probably go for the MINI versioin if I was in the market for such a car. The FIAT's looks just jar a bit with me. Pity really because it's actually an ok car.

I love the little 500 though. If I could manage with a small car it'd definitely be on my list.
 500L Si/No? - tyro
Ahh, I see. It's sort of the equivalent of the MINI Countryman - albeit a little less bizarre.
 500L Si/No? - rtj70
Whilst popping into the local FIAT dealer (for a speed sensor) I was amazed how big and tall the 500L is. It is not a nice looking car is it. Might be okay on the inside.
 500L Si/No? - WillDeBeest
Certainly not a 'small Fiat' for AC to love.

The 500, on the other hand - yes please! So much more stylish than a Mini. I'll have mine in that gorgeous, rich egg-yolk yellow, please. Sunshine on wheels.
 500L Si/No? - legacylad
Initially I thought you were talking about a MB 500 stretched S class with a V8 lump. However. I digress. My ex's daughter and hubby returned to Blighty this summer from their home in the Indian Ocean. Rented a 500 for a month and it was, in their words, a 'handbag car'. Averaged 26mpg over a month and was thrashed within an inch of its life everywhere. Not surprising as they only have 3 miles of dual carriageway on the island where they live, so they have a 'need for speed'.
I fully understand where they are coming from because their normal wheels are a 30yo Toyota rust bucket and a highly desirable, ridiculously expensive 4yo i10.
 500L Si/No? - tyro
>> The 500, on the other hand - yes please! So much more stylish than a
>> Mini. I'll have mine in that gorgeous, rich egg-yolk yellow, please. Sunshine on wheels.
>>

What - you too!!!!?

Tropicalia Yellow - with a sunroof. Mmmmmm.
 500L Si/No? - Zero
I so loved the 500, till I actually drove one round Sicily.

No thanks. Dream ruined.
 500L Si/No? - tyro
I will take comfort from that, seeing as I am unlikely to ever own one. And I will enjoy it when I see other people driving them.
 500L Si/No? - legacylad
The cheapest 500 ragtop on Autotrader is £7.5k. Maybe £7k with haggling. Seems a lot for a small car. That kind of money buys a proper car, such as a 350Z, or even my 330. Toytown might be a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
My bro has recently bought a 500 ragtop for his wife to drive so I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin. I may be pleasantly surprised and am trying hard not to have preconceived ideas. But failing miserably. Maybe I shall have to eat my words.
 500L Si/No? - Avant
If you like open-air motoring you'll be disappointed by the 500C as it's not a true ragtop - more like a car with a glorified sunroof. The opening sunroof includes the back window but the side and roof edges stay where they are.
 500L Si/No? - RattleandSmoke
I do love the 500 but I just could not justify spending 2k more than a Panda for one when they both have pretty much the same engine and chasis. Always had a soft spot for small Fiats though. I think you either get Fiat or you don't.
 500L Si/No? - ....
I parked my S60 next to one of these in Italy last month. Certainly not small only a few cms difference in overall length. Surprised to see it wearing the same size tyres as my car (225/45x17).

Somehow they look alright in Italy but elsewhere they are plain ugly. Don't know why, can't explain it.
 500L Si/No? - mikeyb
A few have appeared at work in the hire fleet. Looked a bit bland to me and just a blatant attempt to cash in on the 500's sales

I suppose a lot of the the ladies who originally bought the 500 have moved on in life and may now need the extra space
>> I suppose a lot of the the ladies who originally bought the 500 have moved on in life and may now need the extra space

Thats the trouble with pasta.
>>Somehow they look alright in Italy ...

I know exactly what you mean by that ! I saw a bloke getting out of a base model Panda the other day in Milan while managing to look film star cool. Tough to pull off the same effect in Manchester...
 500L Si/No? - Duncan
When I see the thread subject heading, I think the OP is referring to a big old Mercedes.

Something like this, perhaps? Not a lot of difference, is there?

tinyurl.com/p6gxzup
 500L Si/No? - RattleandSmoke
I look very cool getting out my Panda trying to squeeze my beer belly through the door :p. Na I still fit in perfectly.

I am amazed how many 2012 models I am seeing on the road but I suspect the new Panda is being offered at a heavy discount.
 500L Si/No? - R.P.
One of my friends has just announced to the world that he's bought a new Fiat 500GQ - he's chopped his 12 month old Volvo XC90.....downsizing he says. They have a V50 on the fleet and three bikes....reckons it's the best thing on four wheels.
Just googled it Rob. Nice ! I confess to liking it. ( even if it isn't really a bloke's car ) I mean, could you picture Jason Statham doing a Transporter run in that? Just doesn't scan does it.
 500L Si/No? - R.P.
He has been teased a bit - but he owns a bloke's bike so that's ok - KTM Adventure...not a GS but still.
 500L Si/No? - ....
Do GQ readers do diesel ?
It looks like a 595 with the accounting department looking after the engine bay contents.

Should be a pleasant runabout with the twinair engine in place.
>>Do GQ readers do diesel ?

We do indeed...

;-)
 500L Si/No? - ....
Do you swap into a pair of wellies when you need to fill up ? ;-)
Indeed, these are to be recommended actually..

www.aigleboots.co.uk/acatalog/Aigle_Leather_Boots.html
Latest Forum Posts