Motoring Discussion > James Bond's Aston Martin for sale Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 17

James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Dog
It comes complete with its "Q-Branch" gadgets including machine guns, bullet-proof shield, revolving number plates, tracking device, removable roof panel, oil slick sprayer, nail spreader and smoke screen.

uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6503ZB20100601
 James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Zero
the guns dont work nor does the ejector seat.

FT is after a little runabout cheap
 James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Bellboy
not registered with the dvla so im out...............
 James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Iffy
The first interior pic shows a radar screen and a telephone.

Clonky radio telephones might have been in some cars in the mid-60s, but I imagine the radar screen - sat nav - would have been pure fancy at the time.
 James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Cliff Pope
I always wondered whether some of those gadgets could ever have worked even theoretically.
How did the extending tyre shredders work? The wheel was presumably rotating on a stub axle - how could it have been hollow in order to accommodate a 2 foot weapon inside?
 James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Mike Hannon
>The wheel was presumably rotating on a stub axle - how could it have been hollow in order to accommodate a 2 foot weapon inside?<

It's a secret...

I guess if radar screens worked (after a fashion) in aircraft from about 1940 a screen for a tracking device could have worked in a car by the mid-60s.
The Secret Service probably had more trouble with the Aston engine and gearbox, not to mention incipient rust, than they did with the gadgets.

I trust Q
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Thu 3 Jun 10 at 09:29
 James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Iffy
...The wheel was presumably rotating on a stub axle...

Rear wheel drive, so there would have been a half-shaft.

That could have been hollow for most of its length, with the shredder inside it - a tube within a tube.

What I've not worked out is how the shredder could be extended and retracted.
>>
>>
>> Rear wheel drive, so there would have been a half-shaft.
>>
>> That could have been hollow for most of its length, with the shredder inside it
>> - a tube within a tube.
>>
>> What I've not worked out is how the shredder could be extended and retracted.
>>

I couldn't remember if it was on the front or back wheels.

It could never really have worked though? A half shaft would normally be about 1- 1 1/2" thick solid steel. It couldn't possibly be hollowed out to the extent of permitting the presumably substantial rod inside? Not and still retain enough strength?
>> I guess if radar screens worked (after a fashion) in aircraft from about 1940 a
>> screen for a tracking device could have worked in a car by the mid-60s.

there are many issues with this , firstly the transponder in the Rolls.

Elecronics was not sufficiently developed in those days to proved a small device with suffcient Transmitter power to work over the distance indicated in the film, nor was battery power sufficiently devloped. This would have been further hampered by being placed inside the boot, in effect a solid gold faraday cage. Not good.

Lets move to the Aston.

If the transponder technology were available as above, the Aston would have needed four aerials on the roof to triangulate the position. Even with this there would have been no display of the local roads and geography, because there was no GPS* to indicate where they were, nor any digitised maps to display.
* (could have used Lorenz or G, on reflection but thats not availble in the swiss alps at ground level)

The only way the rolls could have been tracked in the way portrayed in the film would have been to use an Aircraft type H2S radar. The rolls would have needed to have a radar transponder ont he roof, and the aston fitted with a radome and 415 volts ac.

I wouldnt trustt Q as far as I could throw him,
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 3 Jun 10 at 09:56
>>How did the extending tyre shredders work<<

They would have been telescopic & spring loaded, released by a simple mechanical bonnet type release mech,
I, I mean he - would have had to retract them manually at the earliest possible opportunity.
and hopefully while not in motion.
I wonder if we have ever met Mr. Zed - in Dirty Dicks, like ... I would have been the one holding a pint.

:-)
>> >>How did the extending tyre shredders work<<
>>
>> They would have been telescopic & spring loaded, released by a simple mechanical bonnet type
>> release mech,
>>
>>

Can you elaborate the detail please. They are inside a rotating half shaft, projecting through the centre of the hub and wheel bearings. What is the simple catch fixed to?
Bear in mind the shredder rotates at shaft speed, but the catch obviously has to be fixed to something not rotating. If the catch were on the outside of the hub (not I think visible in the film) how does its operating cable clear the wheel and brake drum?
 James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Mike Hannon
I guess someone will just have to buy the darn thing and take it apart to find out.

I may have been too trusting of Q re the tracker device but all I can say is the one I saw on The Sweeney the other day seemed to work - and that was only about ten years later. ;-)
>>How did the extending tyre shredders work<<

I can't go into detail comrade Pope, it's secret as Michael says but,
it works on a simple pivoted device fixed to the brake backplate which swings out during operation and releases the (classified)
Were you in the SOE btw?
 James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Armel Coussine
Someone will end up paying over the odds for a messed-up DB5. May cost a lot to remove all the rubbish, which probably weighs quite a lot as well. But I suppose it will be kept as something to exhibit to half-wits.

'When was James Bond, Dad? In the Crimean war was he?'

'Nah... Korea I fink....'

Pity really because the car looks quite straight.
Interesting injuns used in the Aston ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadek_Marek
I'd never heard of Tadek Marek before.
 James Bond's Aston Martin for sale - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
I'm not noted for a sense of humour so apologies if the above is just a wind up.
There are usually several versions of James Bond cars to be used in different scenes.
I believe there were several Goldfinger cars.
Not all are necessarily properly functional and only used in limited scenes.
Some are pure mock up dummies (think Roger Moore's underwater Elite).
Some , like the DB9 racing around the lake, had a Ford V8.
Latest Forum Posts