Motoring Discussion > New MOT figures reveal surprises..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 10

New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - Zero
uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/new-mot-failure-figures-reveal-surprises-120500051.html

BETWEEN January and August 2013 253,000 vehicles failed their first MoT, according to new data.

70 million records from the Vehicle Operation and Services Agency (VOSA) were examined to reveal the patterns of failure for cars receiving their first MoT, required three years from the date of first registration.

However, while the best performers have pre-existing reputations for reliability, the bottom of the table reveals some surprises.
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - Fenlander
Similar information was released in 2012. The failure by make is a side issue to that of reason for failure when they commented in 2012...

The most common reasons were lighting and signalling (164,837 failures), followed closely by tyres (96,760 failures), headlight aim (82,555 failures) and issues with the driver’s view of the road (80,605 failures).

So none of those related to make as such... just how much the owners bothered to make daily checks.

Of course it may show a picture relating to owner attitude by make and this may be transferrable to reliability by make in other surveys.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 30 Sep 13 at 19:03
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - R.P.
....and my theory on maintenance in an age of austerity. All three cars and one bike here have been through recent MoTs - all passed. The 130000 mile X plated Fiesta was the only one that got an advisory, on a known issue. Says something about basic vehicle care.
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - DP
As Fenlander says, this says as much about the owners/drivers as it does about the cars. If a car is submitted for MOT with a defective tyre, damaged windscreen, or a bulb out (the three most common failure reasons), its subsequent failure is hardly the car's fault.

I have long held the belief there is a correlation between a car's make, and how it gets treated. Try and buy a five year old Ford or Vauxhall with any service history beyond the warranty expiry date, and you'll look a lot harder than you would for most Japanese or German makes.

I've never had MOT issues either. Although the Alfa's due in a couple of weeks. That will be interesting :-D
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - Cliff Pope
>> As Fenlander says, this says as much about the owners/drivers as it does about the
>> cars.

How amazing. Fancy driver attitude being as important as car design.

:)
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - Haywain
.......... and some folks supported the notion of a move to an MoT every second year!!! As it is, most drivers don't have a clue about changing a duff light bulb and rely on the annual MoT to get legal again.
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - ....
After reading the original article, which, as others have said, could be bad Owner/Driver maintenance rather poor manufacture, without the details no one is any the wiser, I came across

mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/category/horror-stories/

That opens your eyes to what people think is roadwothy and worth a punt through the test centre.
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - Falkirk Bairn
My 15 year old car fails its MoT every year!

Lack of maintenance by me is not the issue - it is the order in which my Indie does the annual service/MoT.

MoTs are timed by the MoT Computer system to ensure all the steps are taken before a pass cert is printed / registered by VOSA.

My Indies does an MoT, it fails on the say the handbrake efficiency.

He does the service, frees the handbrake mechanism, re-tests and it passes!

If he did it in the service first, then MoT it would take more time as checks would be duplicated.

Lights, wipers, water in the washer bottle are all checked regularly but especially before the test by me - So the car does not fail on trivial points. I do not have a rolling road in my drive to test the handbrake efficiency however!
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - ....
A 15 year old car can fail for a number of reasons,. The original link is talking about 3 year old cars going for their first test some of which are only just coming out of warranty.
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - Runfer D'Hills
More here - cars.aol.co.uk/2013/10/02/the-top-10-cars-that-fail-their-first-mot/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D212848#!slide=aol_6214651
 New MOT figures reveal surprises..... - Dave_
>> I do not have a rolling road in my drive to test the handbrake efficiency however!

I have a gravel yard next to where I work - before my car's MoT a progressive application of the handbrake at 20mph on gravel showed that both rear wheels locked at the same time and stayed locked. Good enough for me :)
Latest Forum Posts