Motoring Discussion > Satnav - which is best? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: gramar Replies: 30

Satnav - which is best? - gramar
I'm about to buy a Satnav to help me in my new job as a car delivery driver for a couple of local garages. I drive all over Norfolk and Suffolk as well as long distance in the UK.

I've narrowed it down to two models the Garmin 2445 LTM and the TomTom Start 25M. Only £2 difference in price.

Several peopleI've asked tell me TomTom is best and others side with Garmin. On paper they similar but different. As this will be my first satnav I'm looking for an intuitive touch screen, with good clear easily read maps with accurate, timely and clear audio directions.

I 'm inclined towards the Garmin for the moment but need to make a purchase ASAP.

Which should I buy? Any thoughts, ideas or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
 Satnav - which is best? - Old Navy
I think you will find that peoples recommendation will be influenced by what they own or use and are familiar with. I have a stone age Tomtom Go 720 which has been regularly updated and has the latest firmware and maps. When it dies I will eventually replace with another TT. But that is what I am used to using. :-)
 Satnav - which is best? - -
I opted for Garmin purely because (assuming the T in the model above means it has traffic) on the T models traffic info was free for life.

TT required traffic purchasing yearly, but for all i know TT's traffic system might be better.

TT interface has changed and for all i know has changed again, my mate bought one years ago and without a moments hesitation i had programmed it easily, my neighbour bought one probably last year asked me how to operate it and blowed if i could me head round it, horrible thing.

I've had no reason to regret the Garmin, it does have some peculiarities, when i know a route is best and indeed far shorter it insists on trying to turn me round, lst time i used it one one route it insisted as usual it was right, finally when it agreed far too late the mileage to destination reduced immediately by 27 miles.

Thing is i don't use it as such and i don't think any high mileage driver (paid or not) should be relying on a toy like these for route planning, a driver plans a route and lets the satnav run alongside, doing what it does best, letting you know about approaching speed cams and counting down to unmarked and hidden junctions and of course knows what a road is if the signs missing, and it comes into it own in strange towns on the last leg of your journey.
 Satnav - which is best? - Boxsterboy
Yes, I think it comes down to what you are used to. I like my TT, which I mainly use for keeping an eye on traffic so I can plan my routes around SW London (using my head). When I do use it for navigation it is faultless.
 Satnav - which is best? - mikeyb
You could go to Halfords and give them both a try.

My last nav was a Navman unit which I loved and only stopped using as it started to reset itself mid journey and the map updates were almost as much as a new unit.

I replaced it with a TT classic XXL which I dont really like, and when I can be bothered will ebay to put towards a new unit. Nothing really wrong with it, just dont like it.

A friend has a garmin unit and his renault has the fitted TT unit - he prefers the garmin unit.

I think it will ultimately come down to your preference as I doubt there is much between them other than the interface
 Satnav - which is best? - Haywain
I bought a Tomtom Start 25 (Special Edition) with lifetime map updates about 6 months ago to replace my old Tomtom One v2. I think the 'special edition' bit is because it came with a 'high-speed multi charger'.

I registered it on-line and am notified of new map and software updates. The first update went badly - until I realised that I needed the the additional bit of software when using a Mac.

Would I recommend it? - yes - I certainly would! I don't know what the 'M' stands for in the latest model, though I would assume that it was a later-developed variant of mine.

I must admit, I hope it continues working well because Tomtom support is useless - I found that out when I discovered that the SD card supplied with my original Tomtom One was faulty. It took a couple of months to get it rectified.

TIP - don't tick the box for 'Mobile Speed Cameras' alarm - the wretched thing will sound off at every lay-by and bridge where a police car/camera has ever been spotted!

EDIT Oh yes, I got it from Halfords.
Last edited by: Haywain on Thu 3 Oct 13 at 17:43
 Satnav - which is best? - gramar
Thanks for your advice chaps.

I really only need the satnav for finding tucked away road in rural villages I 've not been to before and for finding ddresses in towns and cities I'm not familiar with. Like most of you I can complete 98% of thre journey without it's help. Where comes into its own is the last mile that saves me from missing/taking a wrong turn and losing time.

I'm planning to visit my local Halfords and PC World this weekend to check a few out and won't rule out the Navman either.
 Satnav - which is best? - Meldrew
A 2nd hand TomTom Go, perhaps a 720, would be an excellent choice. Garmin seem to be good throughout their range or products. Under no circumstances be tempted into buying a TT Go or Live, they have removed features that were standard 5 years ago. Retrograde doesn't come close!
 Satnav - which is best? - Roger.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490T with a wide screen. It does have traffic re-routing as standard. Only found that used twice: once in Holland and once returning from Suffolk via the A14. Both times seemed to work well.
I bought a lifetime update package from Amazon - cheaper than from Garmin. Their new PC update and management program - Garmin Express - is MUCH more user friendly for updates and device management than their old system of logging onto their website and searching for updates from that.
My only quibble is that their latest maps (2014.20) are up to date for continental Europe, with a ©date of 2013, whereas the UK maps are © 2011.
A number of UK speed limit notifications, in my limited experience, are incorrect, even for limits - judging by weathered signage - which have been in place for a while.
Garmin just say, by cut and paste email response, use the incorrect routing facility to report these."
Why should I do their work?
 Satnav - which is best? - Ronald
I have a Tom Tom and my partner a Garmin- both UK/Ireland basic models only.

We both prefer the Tom Tom. The voice inflexions seem to need less concentration: Garmin seems a bit late with its instructions at times, and if you ignore or mishear instructions the Tom Tom seems to be less anxiety provoking (maybe the word is "quicker") when it recalibrates.

All very subjective I guess: make of it what you wish.
 Satnav - which is best? - Rudedog
Agree that the new TT have had many of the configuration features removed, I've also read that many users have had major issues with the European map updates in that there isn't enough space (memory) on the units with no SD slot which means having to decide on what map zones to install. Also with the Garmin's that have free lifetime maps I've been told that you have to put up with on-screen adverts not sure if that's correct?

I waas playing with the idea of updating my satnav but now I've looked into it I think I'll stick with my old GO 710.
My TT Start 25 has got a slot for a micro-SD card; there isn't one fitted - I assume it will prompt me when it needs the extra space?
 Satnav - which is best? - Fenlander
>>>Also with the Garmin's that have free lifetime maps I've been told that you have to put up with on-screen adverts...

So far not seen those on my Garmin bought late 2011 with the lifetime updates... and it has been updated recently. Perhaps they mean on screen ads on the web update screens as you go throught the process... not that I noticed any.

Another vote for Garmin.... but whatever you buy will get you there and be fine.
 Satnav - which is best? - Meldrew
For what the cards cost I'd buy one and put it in anyway. Be aware that there is a capacity limit, the unit will not accept a 64GB for example My GO 825 has an 8GB micro card and I recall that when I installed it that was the most it would accept. I have about 10% left on the internal and 50% on the micro card, that is with 3 maps installed, 2 europe ones and the Canaries and Madeira.
 Satnav - which is best? - jc2
I've used Garmins for years -both in UK & EU and been happy with them but I expect there are others that say the same about Tom-Tom.
 Satnav - which is best? - Zero
>> I've used Garmins for years -both in UK & EU and been happy with them
>> but I expect there are others that say the same about Tom-Tom.

Indeed, same here, Used Tom Toms in UK, Europe and the States. They have been superb and beat garmins hands down on most counts. .

and thats the rub

Have, not are. Dont like the new ones with the new software and menu structure. Now there is nothing to choose between them and Garmins.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Oct 13 at 18:47
 Satnav - which is best? - Dulwich Estate
Her indoors got a TomTom a couple of years ago but wasn't entirely happy with it. Junior 1 got a TomTom with a similar outcome. So, Junior 2 got a widescreen Garmin Nuvi (can't remember the exact name / number) and now all wish they had one too.

With our mob it's TomTom 0, Garmin 3.

PS I don't bother.
 Satnav - which is best? - Old Navy
>> With our mob it's TomTom 0, Garmin 3.
>>
>> PS I don't bother.
>>

At least you have a choice should you want to borrow one. :-)
 Satnav - which is best? - Ted

Never had, or used, a Satnav. Some of our Yarises have them but I never really have time to investigate how they work. It's bad enough getting the radio onto the right channel !

Dyed in the wool A to Z man. Got a huge box of them somewhere. Might be tempted into a cheap Satnav if the firm put cars into a couple more North West cities...as they are planning.

Ted
 Satnav - which is best? - Runfer D'Hills
They do come in handy sometimes Ted ! For example, today I wanted to go from Knutsford to Nantwich, a route I know very well and one for which I'd not normally need any kind of map electronic or otherwise. There are a number of options but the ones I know were all looking clogged. The nav in my car is a clever thing and can "see" traffic holdups ahead. It suggested a route along the most obscure collection of country lanes which were completely free of traffic and I completed the journey with no trouble at all, which for that route on a Friday afternoon is at least unusual. Didn't have to think and managed to listen to the Archers while doing it, so a bit of a result all round really.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 4 Oct 13 at 23:03
 Satnav - which is best? - -
Runfer, thats a completely different beast to the traffic warnings on my (now admittedly quite old) Garmin, and much more localised than the much missed Trafficmaster i wanted to last forever could have shown.

I'd like localised traffic monitoring like that, where does the car get its info?
 Satnav - which is best? - Runfer D'Hills
Pixies I imagine. Little german ones.

:-)
 Satnav - which is best? - ToMoCo
I have both Tom Tom and Garmin units, both are fine and easy to use. I can't remember the last time I used them though, I find Google Maps/navigation on the phone is better.
 Satnav - which is best? - jc2
Tend to always use the same routes,so don't need it for navigation but find it useful to give me my speed and the speed limits.
 Satnav - which is best? - Stuartli
I use my HTC One X smartphone. Does the job more than adequately if ever required as a satnav.
 Satnav - which is best? - Pezzer
Me too, its the main reason I wanted a slightly bigger screen on my smartphone. I only use mine for the last couple of miles, normally finding out of the way football or cricket pitches where the kids are playing.
I have always found Google Nav very good although I dont like the recent update which makes launching slightly more involved.
A hanging thread .............. do we know what satnav gramar (the op) opted for in the end?
 Satnav - which is best? - Roger.
A hanging thread - aka an Irish pennant!
 Satnav - which is best? - Focusless
Telegraph's top 10:
www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caraccessories/10394128/Top-10-satnavs.html
 Satnav - which is best? - Crankcase
New kid on the block for phones in case anyone wants a play.

It's called Route 66 Navigation, on Android and iPhone.

Free at the moment, but apparently after a month it's going to want money.

I've just put it on the iPhone and having a twirl - got one or two nice features over the TomTom I normally use (like touch a POI and it brings up the wiki entry for it, for example), but in other areas (like no TTS for street names) it's weaker. Navigation instructions seem to be quite nice though, in a robotic way, and it allegedly has 3D buildings, for what that's worth, but not seen any evidence of that yet. Seems to have traffic and speed camera warnings, who knows how good or otherwise.

Perhaps that all comes with the paid version or it's buried in the settings.

I shall try it in anger on my commute home tonight, just for fun. I don't suppose for a moment I'd pay for it when the time comes of course, but worth a play while it's free.
 Satnav - which is best? - maltrap
I've got an ancient Garmin Street pilot, my pal has a more up to date Tom Tom, when he rides in my car he says the Garmin is better than his Tom Tom.
Latest Forum Posts