Motoring Discussion > Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW Miscellaneous
Thread Author: idle_chatterer Replies: 10

Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - idle_chatterer
Just had our annual trip to Blighty, involved the obligatory 1000 mile road trip visiting friends and relatives. We decided to get something bigger than our usual Golf/Focus to allow for additional purchases so 'ordered' a Passat saloon. Not sure I'm supposed to name the hire company (their name means 'review' in French) but they were much better than I've found our usual provider of late (whose name refers to units of frequency measurement), the cars were new, mainstream models and clean.

They didn't have a Passat (for me) so 'upgraded' me to a brand new Peugeot 508SW. Here are my impressions of it....

The styling is nice, conventional and without the gaping-mouth look of recent Peugeots. The interior is of a high standard - rivaling VWs and with much better materials than I remember Peugeots and Citroens having, interior space is excellent.

The car was fitted with the ubiquitous PSA/Ford 1.6HDi, a tax-dodger/economy special which I abhor and would never (ever) consider running myself, it is simply too small for a car this size in my opinion, however.....

The 1.6HDi engine is refined, drives nicely within its performance envelope (in this large car), revs very cleanly (almost petrol like) and was muted with only a slight diesel gruffness. I like it, in a Focus or equivalent I imagine it's a great engine. Having only 5 gears surprised me and it was quite low geared (for a diesel) in 5th - pulling 2,500rpm at the UK legal limit - probably compensating for the lack of power ?

5-up (when transporting Granddad) or with the large boot full and 4 of us on-board it was no ball of fire, in fact it felt underpowered travelling the coast road to Whitby, I guess it depends on what you find acceptable - for me it was too compromised. you certainly couldn't tow with this car.

Economy was OK, the trip computer showed an overall average of 54.5mpg in my hands, I suspect it was reasonably accurate (the speedo certainly was only 2mph optimistic versus my satnav). I assume it truly averaged more than 50mpg but haven't calculated it. I have to wonder whether a 2.0HDi would have been much less economical - I suspect it wouldn't have been and would have been far more sprightly. A good job with diesel being 60% more expensive than in Aus (Petrol is actually 70% pricier in the UK).

I'm not sure what 'spec' the model was being badge-less, it was very well equipped with a few surprising omissions. Climate control worked well, the cruise control with speed limiter was excellent (cf Mercedes), electrically adjustable driver's seat was very comfortable. Decent stereo with bluetooth and iPod/USB integration (although no DAB). Auto sensing wipers, auto-headlights, cornering foglamps etc all worked well. Conventional handbrake with electric hill hold also good.

It had a full length glass roof with electric blind - nice to have but I would have much rather it had been fitted with rear parking sensors (or camera) and folding mirrors. A question of taste/priorities I guess. Also - for an economy special, no 'stop-start' - it appears this is fitted to the 1.6HDi DSG-Auto (that must be a slug....).

Ride was excellent, handling OK if a little under-steery, well controlled body movements and little roll even when laden - I don't think there was any self-leveling in the rear suspension. Difficult to tell which end was driven, traction control never cut in and no torque steer, then again (IMHO) no torque to speak of either ;-)

The car was brand-new, the middle rear seatbelt warning would appear spuriously when the seat was unoccupied - a dodgy sensor or wiring I guess, but otherwise I'd hope that Peugeot's previous reliability gremlins are a thing of the past ?

Would I buy one ? Second hand with a bigger engine - yes, I suspect it would be a bargain, if the company insisted I have one I'd not be unhappy - although I could not recommend such a small engine in a car this size. You can get this model in Aus where it appears to be 'positioned' as a premium product I note - but the smallest engine is the 2.0HDi auto, comes with a 5 year warranty too - very sensible.
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - Alanovich
Nice piece, IC. Thanks. I considered one of these when I bought my Laguna but couldn't find one cheap and local enough. It's on the list of possibles for a future car change, but like you my instinct is that I'd look for at least a 2.0 diesel.
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - Bromptonaut
Which version of the 1.6Hdi i_c?

Our Berlingo is a 115 and very sprightly indeed after its 1.9IDI (70PS?) predecessor.

HAving now done around 1200 in it I'll try an pull together a similar report on our experaince.
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - Fenlander
A great percentage of that report would fit my 1.6HDi C5 Tourer that went back almost a year ago.

Except with our level Fenland roads having long sight lines for overtaking I never struggled for power. Thinking about it neither did we 4 up with holiday luggage plus a boat and outboard motor packed in the loadspace traveling 1500mls to and around Scotland.
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - Dutchie
Nice report.Can't complain about our Grand Picasso 1.6 HDI Engine.Plenty of pulling power and six gears.I believe the engine is a eight valve quiet running.Car does about 50mpg.Majority town driving.
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - tyro
I've got the 90 bhp version of the 1.6 HDi engine in my Berlingo.

I find it has sufficient pulling power for my needs, and getting 56 or 57 mpg.

And it is surprisingly refined. I took a friend for a spin in it last year and he was astonished to learn that it was a diesel.
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - -
>> I've got the 90 bhp version of the 1.6 HDi engine in my Berlingo.

I found PSA vans and van based cars to be completely different to the cars with the same engine including petrols, noticeably increased lower revved useable power for manoeuvering pulling away etc, probably the same applies to other makes too.

To be expected with the lower gearing often found in first and reverse, but have taken that into account.

edit, nice report I-C.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 4 Oct 13 at 15:23
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - mikeyb
As Fenlander I also had a C5 with that engine in, and the volvo v60 I had also had the same unit, although something in the back of my mind makes me think the C5 had a 16v unit.

Mine was mostly driven on my own with no load and I found it fine. There was the odd occasion where I would have liked a bit more power, but not often enough to bother me.

In the V60 its fitted with a 6 speed box and although the weight is similar it does feel quicker.

I would have a 508 tomorrow, and fancied one to replace the C5 but the numbers didn't stack up, although I see 2 year old ones from dealerships are down to around the 10K mark
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - Runfer D'Hills
Blimey that is cheap ! Ok there's usually a reason why things are cheap of course but that doesn't take away from it being a heck of a lot of car for the money at the levels you mention Mikey.
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - Dave_
>> Having only 5 gears surprised me and it was quite low geared (for a diesel) in 5th - pulling 2,500rpm

Many of the new cars I deliver have only 5 gears. I reckon it's down to either:

a) modern CR diesel engines' wider torque spread meaning less ratios needed to keep them "on the boil";
b) the 6-speed version having smaller, weaker cogs which can't handle as much torque; or
c) cheapskate manufacturers wanting to charge extra to fit the more "prestigious" 6-speeder.

My Saab is also geared for 2,500rpm at 70mph ish. Doesn't seem to affect the economy or refinement at all.
 Peugeot - Just did 1000 miles in a Peugeot 508SW - Mike H
>> Having
>> only 5 gears surprised me
I learnt to drive in a Bedford CA van with only three gears.....more than 5 is not necessarily better unless your left arm needs continuous exercise.
Latest Forum Posts