Motoring Discussion > Campervan Question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 26

Campervan Question - PhilW
Dear All,
Daughter and friends have got tickets for Glastonbury next year (yes it required us to get up early and log on to ticket office with one desktop, 3 laptops and 3 smartphones!!).
One of her friends has suggested they get a campervan so that they can have showers etc.
I assume they could heat the water with gas and cook with gas and the battery would provide light. But, would they be able to power the shower using the battery? Would they be able to power the shower with engine running to provide electric power? Or would they still be without shower because there is no mains electric plug in?
Thanks in advance.
P
 Campervan Question - Zero
No-one has showers at Glasto....

Unless it rains.
 Campervan Question - Ted

Our touring caravan heats the water with either mains or gas. The water is delivered to the taps/shower head by a 12v dc pump in the water container......hot and cold.

I imagine a campervan will be no different. Without mains power the battery will soon run down but a cheap generator will keep it charged up through the van's inbuilt charger. Unless they're happy to leave the engine running whilst ablutions are in progress.

The fridge will have to be run by gas as well....to keep the beer cold !

Ted
 Campervan Question - Manatee
The water pump will run off a separate leisure battery. Motorhomes usually have onboard fresh water and grey water tanks. Water heating may well be a gas & mains electric job. When there is no electric hook up available they can use propane. So in theory that could work I suppose.

The water heater may well only be 10 litres though, and you aren't talking power showers, more a trickle to get wet, then soap up and another trickle to rinse off.

Sounds as if the friend isn't temperamentally suited to doing Glastonbury. I'm not either.
 Campervan Question - -
For a long weekend a strip wash with a bowl of warm water, and a quick rub down with a handful of baby wipes would suffice.

Is the parking at Glastonbury suitable for normal camper vans or is a 4x4 version a must, can't imagine the typical van coping in a foot of mud.
 Campervan Question - Runfer D'Hills
I expect you can get special tyres for that too GB. Go on, you know you want to find out...

;-)
 Campervan Question - BiggerBadderDave
I think you'd need caterpillar tracks to get out of there Humph...
 Campervan Question - -
>> I think you'd need caterpillar tracks to get out of there Humph...
>>

Exactly, serious 4x4 required and that won't be any good unless its on...hmm now let me see...:-)
 Campervan Question - Harleyman
>> For a long weekend a strip wash with a bowl of warm water, and a
>> quick rub down with a handful of baby wipes would suffice.
>>

Yep. Campervans, forsooth! They'll be wanting chalets next!
"Sounds as if the friend isn't temperamentally suited to doing Glastonbury"

Think they are!! Experience of many festivals has taught them that a small tent in all that mud and rain isn't a lot of fun!! And that loo and washing facilities ain't much fun either!

"For a long weekend a strip wash with a bowl of warm water, and a quick rub down with a handful of baby wipes would suffice."

That's what I said also and that's what it might amount to! At least the gas water heater will provide hot water if not a shower. And of course there are those "solar shower" things if it's a bit sunny.

Thing is, they ain't teenagers any more - like a bit of comfort.

Reminds me of when, as a youngster, I drove to Greece and Greek Islands in early 1970's - thought I'd get away with sleeping in a tiny tent with no bedding - soon realised that a Li-Lo would have been a good investment and after 6 weeks of sleeping on rock hard ground (well, rocks actually) wished and wished I'd spent a few quid on an air bed.
You live and learn!
Thanks for answers.
P
 Campervan Question - bathtub tom
>>One of her friends has suggested they get a campervan

Apart from the parking availability, wouldn't one of the 'glamping' or yurt options be cheaper than the cost of a campervan motorhome?
 Campervan Question - CGNorwich
The Tenthouse suite looks a bit of a bargain - only £9,995

www.thepopuphotel.com/glastonbury-festival
 Campervan Question - BiggerBadderDave
This is what you need. Perfick.

Look what's on the roof.

tinyurl.com/nwys3gh
 Campervan Question - Runfer D'Hills
You evil man Dave. I so want that now !!!!!!
 Campervan Question - Old Navy
No, they sound like people who like their comfort.

www.marathoncoach.com/
Who do you think my daughter is? Kate Moss? (whose wellies (close shave there - typed willies at first!!) for Glastonbury prob cost as much as hiring a campervan for the weekend!!)
 Campervan Question - Simon
Can you even take a motorhome to Glastonbury, or is it tents only?
 Campervan Question - mikeyb
>> Can you even take a motorhome to Glastonbury, or is it tents only?
>>

Yep. A friend who lives nearish used to rent his camper out to supplement its running costs. Couple of times it ended up at glasto and would come back with only 50 ish miles on it over a week.

Hes stopped renting it out now though, too much damage, and although covered by insurance was a lot of hassle. The last repair job took a couple of months and it was never quite the same so hes traded it for another.
 Campervan Question - WillDeBeest
Can you even take a motorhome to Glastonbury...?

Yes, Simon, it appears you can:
www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/campervans-and-caravans
(Even a link about caravans takes up too much space!)

Has to be a proper one, though - they won't let you roll up in an ex-BT van and sleep in that. Bizarrely, I'm almost thinking this (the camper, not the BT van) might be a good idea. Less of a security worry than a tent, too.
 Campervan Question - movilogo
Never understood how someone can get fun in all that mud :-p

Campervan Question - Dog
dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid/videos/splish-splash-nude-mud-bath.htm

:}
 Campervan Question - Dave
It says absolutely no generators allowed on site, and they don't provide leccy either. So better make sure you've got a good and well charged battery.
 Campervan Question - Pat
Whatever happened to the Glastonbury of old?

No campervans, no showers, no glamping just a tent, no morals and mud, glorious mud for the weekend.

No top line acts, just a few really good performers who believed in themselves and more to the point, how did it become THE place to be seen at?

Pat
 Campervan Question - mikeyb
>> Whatever happened to the Glastonbury of old?
>>

You mean the Pilton Pop Festival?
"So better make sure you've got a good and well charged battery."
This was point of original Q, Dave.
Would a well charged battery ensure showers for 4 people over a weekend (especially with all that mud!!)
Mind you, even without showers, a campervan is still better than a tent - it has beds, seats, cooker and fridge to keep beer and wine in.
And if the battery ain't strong which would you choose - keep fridge on or have a shower?
Second thoughts - fridge would run on gas also, so beer/wine would always be cool!
 Campervan Question - Manatee
The fridge won't run on battery - mains, gas, or 12V engine supply only. A 3 way caravan fridge draws about 120W, it would kill the battery in short order.

Careful use of the shower would quite possibly spin out the battery supply for a few days. That is, use it to get wet and rinse off - don't stand under it luxuriating. Not that you'd have enough hot water for that.

The lights will also run down the battery - people are fitting LEDs now to reduce the drain.

You could of course just run the engine to recharge the leisure battery, assuming there isn't a rule against that.

Just make sure it has a leisure battery. They don't always come as standard, although I can't imagine anybody not fitting one.
 Campervan Question - Dave
I had some woods in England, with a caravan that I used to stay in when visiting the country. All I know is the battery wouldn't last long, and the water even less. Even used extremely sparingly, it was surprising just how much energy and water is required.

So decent fully charged battery, may just last a few days - wet yourself in the shower, soap, wash off etc. And turning off the tap when cleaning teeth. But here's a ton of other things all taking power - lights, pumps, charging stuff, TV, radio, etc. If it's cold, leccy needed for the heater fan and controls.
Latest Forum Posts