Motoring Discussion > Manufacturer's "cost price". Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 4

Manufacturer's "cost price". - Crankcase
I've had a promotional email from a local dealer for the usual blather - one off event, limited time, hurry hurry hurry.

Anyway, the spiel is that the cars will be sold at "manufacturer's cost price plus £1.00".

In very general terms, what do we think that might be in terms of percentage off? 20%? 30%?

Or is the variance too wide between manufacturers to come up with any kind of ballpark figure?

I don't want to call them (yet) because I'm not really in the market, just nosy.
 Manufacturer's "cost price". - Chris S
When the Mini came out in 1959 it was initially sold at a loss.

The manufacturer's cost price might that you're being offered might be more than the retail one!
 Manufacturer's "cost price". - FotheringtonTomas
>> Anyway, the spiel is that the cars will be sold at "manufacturer's cost price plus
>> £1.00".

I am very sure it won't be the price which many people would interpret that as - the cost of production + £1.
 Manufacturer's "cost price". - Falkirk Bairn
Manufacturer's have gone away from big % markups (17.5-20% was common 30/40 years ago) - they now have smaller "dealer price" but the true margin for the main dealer is not the % margin BUT the Bonus payment which can be £000's after they have mde their quota.
EG Margin 12.5% on list price + target 50 cars for a quarter or "new reg month" - meeting taget = £50,000 £75,000 i.e. £1000 or £1500 per car.

If the dealer is at 45 cars with 1 week to go then their will be a good deal avaialble as they scramble to make the magic number - pre-reg in their own name may not count towards the target.
 Manufacturer's "cost price". - Crankcase
That's useful, thank you. They are quite upfront in the email about doing this so as to hit their quota.

Gives me an idea about probable prices anyway. Ta.

Latest Forum Posts