Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 11

Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - R.P.
Where my wife works there is a trend amongst her colleagues to buy VW Transporters - there seems to be an accessorising war..since she started talking about this, I see lots on the road obviously used as family transport...are they the new Chrysler Voyager...?
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - Robin O'Reliant
Two down my road and loads about locally. Strange fashion.
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - Boxsterboy
Well I bought a used Kombi 18 months ago with the intention of weekend/leisure use, and I find it good enough in 'everyday' driving to use it as a daily driver (and save on the running costs of 2 vehicles). Mine is the 5-cylinder 2.5 auto. 130 bhp.

It has the raised driving position that gives such a clear view and therefore makes for more relaxing driving, easier pulling out of side roads where parked cars can obstruct your view in a car (the same reasons many folk buy SUVs).
Its square and boxy shape makes it a cinch to park - it is shorter than many cars and has a lovely tight turning circle.
It is quick enough away from the lights, and can cruise as fast as any vehicle can (without losing your licence).
You have more licence to be an assertive driver in a van than a car, again making everyday driving easier.
Stacks of room inside making them supremely practical. We have regularly had 6 people, 6 bikes and luggage in ours which is only a short wheel base. Or we can get 5 people and their windsurfers, etc. all inside.

Ours is bog standard apart from some extra sound insulation that I fitted, but the VW culture of customising lives on with this model.

I have enjoyed it so much that I have decided to upgrade to a newer 2.0 bi-turbo, which is smoother and quiter than the 5-cylinder.
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - Zero
I've done loads of miles in a T5 transporter, fitted out to cart dogs. Its just started to fall apart at 150k miles (needs new injectors) so its been traded in for a new Caddy Max.

Have to say the passenger seat in a T5 SWB is hell on earth, the drivers seat much better.
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - -
No different benefits really to any other van, wider choice of engines than some others.

High priced because of its fashion status which i don't get and never have.

Rather have a grey import van based or MPV style Toyota or Nissan meself, decent 3 litre or so engine available with several different seat arrangements that usually make reasonable beds for the odd overnight stay, Japanese equivalent of the American day van.
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - Lygonos
>>grey import van based or MPV style Toyota or Nissan

>>High priced because of its fashion status which i don't get and never have.

15 yr old ones of these vehicles start at 4+ grand, and the diesel engines are pretty sluggardly.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307257988948
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - Dave
They're everywhere here. Even the utilities use them in preference to cheaper transits and the like. And they're available in every shape and form also - crew cab pickups, crew cab vans, 4x4, autos, everything except basic 2/3 seater vans with no extras.
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - mikeyb
>> They're everywhere here. Even the utilities use them in preference to cheaper transits and the
>> like. And they're available in every shape and form also - crew cab pickups, crew
>> cab vans, 4x4, autos, everything except basic 2/3 seater vans with no extras.
>>

High residuals mean cheap leasing deals, so although these companies appear to be operating a fleet of more expensive vans in essence they have probably just gone out to tender for the cheapest operating cost over 3 years.

Mrs B would like a transporter shuttle, but they are so expensive that I think shes likely to end up with an i800. For the price of a new to 12 month old i800 with 4+ years of warranty left I would end up with a 3 - 4 year old transporter out of warranty and lower spec
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - Boxsterboy
Subject to a drive I would have considered an i800. Apart from one, stupid, stupid design fault (for me). The rear seats in the i800 are fixed in place and have nothing like the flexibility of those in a VW Shuttle.
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - spamcan61
Spamette Major's boyfriend has a white T5 with obligatory bangin' stereo and drop down TV, surfboards on roof; chipped to some silly BHP - no wonder the DMF went. Having driven it a bit it's quite nice to drive, although I prefer the shiny new T6 we've just got at work, which is a nicer 65mph motorway cruiser than my Astra - yeak Ok that's daming with faint praise ;-)
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - Harleyman
Funny, I've noticed the rise in VW van popularity too. Down here in the summer the laybys are usually infested with T2's, invariably awaiting a recovery truck.

I've long held the theory that three teenage passengers are mandatory in these vehicles, necessary to push the gutless heaps up anything approaching a gradient.
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter - Groovy kind of van. - mikeyb
>> Subject to a drive I would have considered an i800. Apart from one, stupid, stupid
>> design fault (for me). The rear seats in the i800 are fixed in place and
>> have nothing like the flexibility of those in a VW Shuttle.
>>

Agree, they could have done something a little better in this area, although you can undo the 6 (IIRC) bolts that hold them and take them out of you so wish. Not ideal, but OK for a one off, and as I need 8 seats not an issue for me.

My "need" occurs at the end of the year so I'm wondering if xmas is a good time to buy a car. Thinking it may be quiet in the showroom around that time so better deals to be done.
Latest Forum Posts