Motoring Discussion > 300 mile Sunday ride.. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 25

300 mile Sunday ride.. - R.P.
Last of the pre-winter runs yesterday on the GS the younger - from Anglesey down to Nantwich (Breakfast at Morrisons...yummy) then up to a little village near Ormskirk along a very, very wet M6, then home via Liverpool...260 odd miles but enjoyed every mile of it - The trip involved a Dinosaur, an 80 foot Dalek, a pair of stone cold giant buttocks (male) and a woman flashing her boobs at some traffic lights on the A59 in Liverpool. Never saw a Quashqai with a broken door mirror though.

That bike never fails to impress, whether on a fine surfaced A road, very broken roads in Cheshire, on a seriously wet motorway or in a city centre....there are many bikes I would have picked for any of the conditions listed, but only one that is a contender for all of them.
 300 mile Sunday ride.. - Runfer D'Hills
Ah that explains it. There was talk in the snug last night about strangers being in town. You were lucky to get out of Morrisons without being sacrificed.
There were some very strange characters in there....made Asda in Llangefni look positively er...what can I say ?
Lets just say there doesn't seem to be much diversity in the local gene pool. If you'd had a banjo you'd have fitted right in.

300 mile Sunday ride.. - Baz
RP,Out of interest, what kit do you have that can cope with that kind of trip? I ask as I recently lost my job and any kind of replacement work will involve around a 60 mile or more commute each way. I may do this on a bike quite often to save on transport costs and M4 Bridge tolls. Thinking of an xj900 Diversion as a cheapy commuter. Any recommendations/views/alternatives most welcome! ( Relocation or train not options, unfortunately!)
Sorry to hear about the job Baz. None of my business of course but why not tell us what sort of work you're looking for and in what area? You never know, someone reading this might know someone who knows someone sort of thing !
Thanks, I am a bit of a jack of all trades really! Chartered Chemist originally, 30 years in pharmaceutical and medical devices manufacturing, always on the tech support, validation and Quality Assurance management side of things, more latterly implementing ISO 9001/13485 Quality Systems, Risk Assessment, Continuous Improvement etc. Live in S Wales 25 mins from the Bridge. Nothing in S Wales area really ( Welsh Assembly are you listening?), all the work is down the M4 , Bristol, Bath, Swindon etc, hence the thread post. Sorry to hijack your thread by the way RP!
 300 mile Sunday ride.. - Harleyman
As mentioned in a previous thread I'm considering a winter bike/ long distance all-rounder; my initial preference was a BMW R100RS.

Looking through the BMW's for sale on e-bay, there are a fair number of older K100's on the market for not a huge amount of money. This one in particular interests me;

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100LT-LOW-MILEAGE-SHAFT-DRIVE-VERY-RELIABLE-/181235519877

RP (or others) have you ever owned a "brick" and if so are they worth having?

Plus points of that particular one seem to be low mileage, good condition for year and top of the range equipment; also qualifies for being on my insurance as a classic so cheaper.

Baz, I did own an R65 some years ago which would be perfect for what you want, though a little long in the tooth now. Nothing wrong with a Diversion though, or perhaps a 600 Bandit.
 300 mile Sunday ride.. - Dieselboy
Which little village near Ormskirk? That's my work stomping ground.
The owner reviews of the Divvy 900 are really good, apparently they go on and on, being a simple 8v air cooled. obviously not cutting edge in terms of handling/performance, I do have an unfaired FZ6 in the garage but don't fancy this kind of trip on that! Just thinking around a bit I guess! Bikes are free over the Severn Bridge which saves over £30 a week straight off, plus of course no hold ups on a bike. Obviously would resort to car for the worst 3 to 4 months.
A BMW Rallye2 suit (now 5 years old and still warm and waterproof), Schuberth Helmet S2 Pro- the lightest and quietest on the market, AlpineStar boots and gloves. The suit is known as a "To- sser suit by those that wear them...but at least you're a warm and dry one ! Sorry to hear about the job btw. I have a spare Shoei flipfront lid if you're stuck - I'll send it on for the price of the carriage (around a tenner)
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 19:24
>> .*********

Blimey, you don't think he's had a stroke or something?

PUUUUG !!!!!!????
 300 mile Sunday ride.. - Harleyman
>> >> .*********
>>
>> Blimey, you don't think he's had a stroke or something?
>>

Think it might've been me and Baz mentioning Jap bikes......
It was the Tosser word what did it...!
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 19:25
Phew, thought she'd reversed over you this time...

;-)
....again.
XJ900 is a fine bike - friend of mine had a 650 Bandit - which he toured for thousands of miles on...
Please tell us you used to call him Smokey?
Oh, it was Halsall near Ormskirk - we needed a photo of the Halsall Navvy sculpture....
 300 mile Sunday ride.. - Dieselboy
Ah, the village where there's no centre, other than a 4x4 dealership!
My friend wanted a photo of the statue......something to do with a challenge...
 300 mile Sunday ride.. - swiss tony
>> My friend wanted a photo of the statue......something to do with a challenge...
>>

You plonker...
You should have just used Google! *

*other search engines may be available....
The bike has to be in the picture to qualify.
 300 mile Sunday ride.. - swiss tony
>> The bike has to be in the picture to qualify.
>>
Ah.. there is always small print! ;-)
Photoshop wouldn't be cricket...
 300 mile Sunday ride.. - Badwolf
>> Oh, it was Halsall near Ormskirk

Less than five miles from my front door! Next time, let me know. Quite happy to have bacon butties on the go for you :-)
Latest Forum Posts