Motoring Discussion > Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel (113) - DPF, DMF, chain cam? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mr Moo Replies: 20

Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel (113) - DPF, DMF, chain cam? - Mr Moo
Considering purchasing a second hand (2 year old) Cee'd, with the 1.6 diesel 'high power' engine. I guess calling a 115hp diesel 'high power' is pushing things a bit, but having driven a pro-Cee'd with the same engine, it goes quite well.

The thought of having approximately five years of warranty remaining is quite appealing. Clearly it's not going to rival a Focus for handling and ride balance and if I'm expecting Golf style soft touch squashy plastics, I should look elsewhere. I'm trying to get accurate info on a few details. Have looked in various places on t'interweb and I think the following are all true and bode well for the longevity and reliability of the car. I tend to keep motors for a while, so assuming that it's going OK, I may well still have it after the 7 year warranty has expired and I'm left picking up the tab when things go wrong.

Anyway, if anybody can confirm (or deny!) the following, I'd be grateful:-

1) The car does not have a diesel particulate filter (DPF)
2) Strangely, the car does not have a dual mass flywheel (DMF)
3) The engine is chain cam, rather than cam belt.

Cheers

Mr Moo
 Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel (113) - DPF, DMF, chain cam? - diddy1234
Hi, I believe that the ceed has a similar engine to the diesel rio.
So, no DPF, No Dual Mass Flywheel and yes a chain cam.

Sometimes cheep really is cheerful !

Hope it helps.
 Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel (113) - DPF, DMF, chain cam? - Old Navy
I can confirm that my 2010 Ceed SW 1.6 crdi has a chain cam, and no DMF or DPF. The discontinued 2.0 diesel had a belt cam, DMF and DPF. The DPF (if it was fitted) would be located under the car in the area of the front seats, it's easily confirmed that it's not fitted by looking for a straight exhaust pipe run in this area instead of a device that looks like a silencer. The 1.6 diesel meets the Euro 4 standard without a DPF although it is fitted in some countries. I believe it will require a DPF to meet the Euro 5 standard
 Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel (113) - DPF, DMF, chain cam? - Alanovich

>> 1) The car does not have a diesel particulate filter (DPF)
>> 2) Strangely, the car does not have a dual mass flywheel (DMF)
>> 3) The engine is chain cam, rather than cam belt.

Perhaps this is why they can offer 7 year warranties whilst others can not. A Cee'd is on my mental list for replacing my diesel Golf in three years time. So long as there's an auto option on the diesel.
 Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel (113) - DPF, DMF, chain cam? - Netsur
Oh there is!
 Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel (113) - DPF, DMF, chain cam? - Bagpuss
The Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel available in Germany definitely has a Particle Filter (DPF). Kia presently use DMFs only on the 2.0 version, though this may change.
 Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel (113) - DPF, DMF, chain cam? - Iffy
Why worry? I've done nearly 100,000 miles in DPF equipped Fords with no bother at all.

The Kia 1.6 is one of the quietest and smoothest diesel engines, so if you like the rest of the car, you should be happy enough with what's pulling it around.

Then it's starting to sound like the ideal second car for my family. Our second car does mostly town work (at least 90%, hardly ever sees a motorway or dual carriageway), and has to be a diesel auto.

Hmm. I know Mrs A will want another Golf when the time comes, and she won't want to listen to nor understand the technical reasons for going for a Cee'd. I hope the price differential will be enough to sway her, or we'll be searching for a non-DPF Golf. Which I expect will be a rare and tricky beast to find in three years time.
 Kia Cee'd 1.6 Diesel (113) - DPF, DMF, chain cam? - Zero
>> Then it's starting to sound like the ideal second car for my family. Our second
>> car does mostly town work (at least 90%, hardly ever sees a motorway or dual
>> carriageway), and has to be a diesel auto.

Sound slike an ideal candidate for a auto petrol.
>> Sound slike an ideal candidate for a auto petrol.
>>

Apart from the fact that we get free (company fuel card) diesel.
the cam belt, DPF and DMF would have been excluded fromt he warranty as all are "wear and tear or consumeable" items.
"Not fitted" beats "excluded from the warranty" any day.
The badge snobs with "It would never sell without the warranty" are a bit slow this morning. :-)
clearly the OP is attracted by the warranty?
You bit Zero, :-) See you on the 31st.
so will my big dog, take care to shake his paw gently.
>> See you on the 31st.
>>

Assuming the Ceed can manage 350 miles without resorting to the warranty I will have it with me, you will be able to kick the tyres and have a good look at it.
Kick the tyres? oo no, better not, dont want you to have to call on that warranty when the wheels fall off.

YOu can cast an eye over the bigger and better and cheaper Lancer. (with no warranty left)
And the pair of you can stare enviously at a proper car from a proper manufacturer. :)
you not bringing the ford then?
...you not bringing the Ford then?...

Good answer, like it.

I'm already looking forward to letting the tyres down of a Mitsubishi when its owner is not looking.

Latest Forum Posts