Motoring Discussion > Best seating position for pregnant lady? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 4

Best seating position for pregnant lady? - movilogo
My wife is currently 6 months pregnant. Since I had an accident lately (she was not with me in car fortunately) I am now bit paranoid about the safety.

Should she sit in front or at back?

The force of airbag is quite high (which I experienced myself) and might harm foetus in case of impact.

So front or rear? Or in front with airbag deactivated (if having the option)?

Best seating position for pregnant lady? - Netsur
I suspect that car designers do think about pregnant women as well as young children in cars.

I can see no reason to turn off the airbag. Better an injured pregnant mother with a probably live foetus than a dead woman with a probably dead foetus inside her. Therefore sit in the front with a seatbelt on.

The only people who may query this advice are likely to be pro-life campaigners who consider a foetus to be more valuable than the mother carrying it around.
 Best seating position for pregnant lady? - wazza
She can sit where she likes.

If she is in the front seat and is the only passenger then i recommend she moves the seat as far back as she can widening the distance between her and the airbag.

If in the back then move the seat in front (passenger side preferred) forward so that she does not hit the seat in front.

PLEASE PLEASE make sure that when she puts on her seat belt make sure that the lower part goes across UNDER her stomach and not in front/across her stomach. If god forbid you had to brake hard and she was thrown forwards the belt will tighten under the stomach and not over the foetus if you know what i mean. I believe you can get an attachment for the seat belt for pregnant women.
 Best seating position for pregnant lady? - wazza
put 'seat belt for pregnant women' in the search engine and came across this

inventorspot.com/articles/tummy_traveling_has_never_been_safer_13423

www.pregnancyseatbeltharness.com/

as a father of 3 children(that i know of :-) ) i always made sure my wife had the seat belt below her stomach. However looking at the first link that might make no difference. When she was in the car i was extra careful with my driving, guessing what other drivers were going to do, and gentle with my braking.
Last edited by: wazza on Fri 4 Jun 10 at 11:31
 Best seating position for pregnant lady? - Bromptonaut
Mrs B had something to place belt below bump 18years ago.
Latest Forum Posts