Motoring Discussion > 27 Porsches Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 15

27 Porsches - Armel Coussine
I have a lot of quite good dinky-toy-sized models of different Porrsches, the fruit of some quite enjoyable and well-paid work some years ago. They are quite finely detailed, with good use of transparent plastic for glass bits, although not perfect of course.

I've taken the best ones, for my curio cupboard, but there were 27 left in a box. They can go in three parcels of seven to my youngest descendant, whose father is a car person, and two male nippers I sometimes meet in the right age group.

So don't worry, I don't need anyone to take them off my hands. Just hope the nippers or their mothers don't snoot, scorn, contemn, insult, blackguard and refuse them.

Only about 15 more boxes of random stuff to go. Lots of ancient financial bumf for the bonfire. YEE-hah!
 27 Porsches - -
Coo, i'd have liked those as a nipper, trouble is i'd have treated them as toys which is what they should really have been for no doubt, but sounds like a valuable collection there.

Mention of the bonfire brought back memories of me dealing with my late brothers effects, his wife a smashing lady pre deceased him (no family her side and left to me to do on my side) and whilst clearing his house i found a huge bundle of love letters sent between the two of them during his long Navy years.

No i didn't read them and no one else will as i burned them and buried the ashes in their plot, i have a special hatred for people who find such things years hence and parade them on antiques shows or sell them for gain, the messages lovers send to each other are for their eyes only.

I still have drawers full of his things, i will never part with them.

Don't deny your loved ones the pleasures of keeping all the momentos of your life AC, be frugal with the book burning...though if you find a picture of traitor Heath chuck that on the pire for me will ya..
 27 Porsches - -
Gawds sake PIRE arrgh.
 27 Porsches - sooty123

>> Don't deny your loved ones the pleasures of keeping all the momentos of your life
>> AC.

without sounding harsh, that assumes those are interested. I've known people bin or burn loads of stuff not because it's personal but because it's of no interest to them.
 27 Porsches - madf
I had a clockwork Porsche 356 - German made - in silver as a kid. About 20cms long. It was lovely.

Built of pressed steel.

Wish I had it now.. worth a few bob no doubt.
Last edited by: madf on Mon 21 Oct 13 at 09:27
 27 Porsches - corax
>> Wish I had it now.. worth a few bob no doubt.

It'll probably appear on Antiques Roadshow and you'll be as sick as a dog :)
 27 Porsches - Fenlander
>>>that assumes those are interested. I've known people bin or burn loads of stuff not because it's personal but because it's of no interest to them.

So so true. I buy at probate type disposal auctions where they sell everything including the contents of the drinks cabinet , office desk, bedroom drawers etc... often the relatives cream off the expensive bits and ignore so much of what people hope will be passed on. Well it is but only to others who buy it.

As a matter of interest some really nice Dinky cars came up the other month and models I had as a kid were fetching £50-£100 a time, probably much of the value as they were boxed and immaculate.

27 Porsches - -
>> As a matter of interest some really nice Dinky cars came up the other month
>> and models I had as a kid were fetching £50-£100 a time, probably much of
>> the value as they were boxed and immaculate.

I'd like to have kept some of mine in retrospect, but i find the thought that a child has kept a toy, particularly a car, pristine with its original box in the same condition just a little bit sad...maybe these ones were originally bought by bigger kids, like us..;)

Always think back to a lovely day some 25 years ago in Crick, there was a local steam rally and bit of a country fair, being a youngish divorced dad took my kids along, lovely summers day.

Particularly friendly traction owner was taking groups round the village on his engine, get about 6 kids plonked on the wings, H&S would have a fit now..;)

Anyway my youngest, 4 year old daughter, was straight up there, got a bit grubby so what she loved it and had the biggest coal stained grin ever seen on a kid.

There was a little lad about 5/6 who obviously wanted to get on, and i went to hoist him up to the cheerful driver who also tried to beckon him on.

The lad dearly wanted to get on but was afraid of getting dirty...once in a life experience for a kid that and too frightened of a bit of muck to enjoy himself, never did see the parents which is probably just as well...very sad that little lad should be so worried, old before his time.
 27 Porsches - Fenlander
Yes all mine were played with so things like the, now so sought after, gold James Bond Aston Martin was worn out and in the bin by the time I'd finished with it.

27 Porsches - MD
Strangely I still have the Aston and it all work, but pristine it ain't. It resides in a suitcase, one of those old 1940's child's cases with all of the other Dinky's.
 27 Porsches - Fenlander
The mint boxed Astons fetch daft money but the playworn, and particulatly those with an operational fault, are sensible prices.

There are pictorial guides on the net to overhaul them and it's my intention to buy a cheap one and restore it. It was my favourite toy car and I'd quite like to see one on the office desk.
 27 Porsches - henry k
>>As a matter of interest some really nice Dinky cars came up the other month
>> and models I had as a kid were fetching £50-£100 a time,
>> probably much of the value as they were boxed and immaculate.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-31801465
Skipton man's Dinky toy collection could fetch £250,000
 27 Porsches - John Boy
What does this statement in that news report mean?

"Mr Hainsworth, who was born in Bradford, decided to sell up as he wanted to put his entire collection in a single catalogue."
 27 Porsches - Fullchat
Errrr. I presume it means he wants to sell them all at one go.
 27 Porsches - John Boy
I thought that might be it, but it seems a ridiculous way to say something simple.
 27 Porsches - Slidingpillar
Actually it says nothing. The fact the whole collection was in a single catalogue is something one negotiates with the auction firm - and in the right sort of sale, I'd imagine they'd prefer it anyway.

But the decision to sell is another matter entirely - and the quote tells us nothing.
Latest Forum Posts