Motoring Discussion > KIA Cee'd - The Ceed is Going Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 5

KIA Cee'd - The Ceed is Going - Fullchat
Aside from my motorcycles the Fullchat fleet comprises a white 09 Ceed SW 1.6 Diesel and a tango 59 Focus Estate 1.6 petrol. The Ceed has nearly hit 31K and the Focus is fast approaching 40K.

The twins hit the big 17 this week so the fleet has been revisited and we need to downsize one of the cars and in any event Mrs FC has always felt the Focus a bit too much for "running around" and has never been keen driving the Ceed.

The Ceed has had the following warranty work in date order:
New front interior door handles due to o/s on loosing its plastic coating which cut my hand.
Drivers door locking mechanism due to me being completely locked out one day and it did freeze up solid one winter (upgraded part).
Fuel tank supporting straps (recall).
Front drop links.
Anti roll bar mounting bushes and some of the front wishbone bushes.
2 reversing sensors on the back replaced which were causing issues

The radio was playing up so I dismantled the front and cleaned up all the button pushes, gasket and circuit board underneath which cured it. I replaced complete font and rear brake discs and pads due more to corrosion and general muck causing sticking and premature uneven wear particularly at the front.

I have over the years tackled various squeaks and rattles with limited success.

2 sets of Primacys on the front and ready for another set. Original rears were replaced with Barums in the spring.

The car is averaging at the moment about 49mpg.

On the other hand the Focus has had no gremlins although I did the same with the brakes this summer although to be fair OCD kicked in and they had plenty of wear left in them.

The Focus seems to average about 38mpg.

So which vehicle is going? Well its the Ceed. Whilst I shall miss the really lazy torque and good acceleration of the diesel, and the white really looks good when clean, it still has those annoying squeaks and the odd rattle. The suspension also tends to be a bit noisy on rough surfaces. The Focus needs a bit of encouragement to keep it moving but overall build and finish is a bit better and it has a heated screen (winter is coming soon). Being a petrol it also warms up quicker and I do relatively short journeys.

The downside is that Mrs FC is not quite as anal about her cars so there is a bit of fettling inside and out to bring it up to my standard.

Its replacement - a Kia Picanto "White". Not just the base model either, oh no! It looked so dull. Slightly bigger 1.25 petrol and a few 'funky' bits on it. I really am a salesman's dream. I hope the kids like it.

So Sorento to Picanto - Things have gone a bit wrong somewhere :S
 KIA Cee'd - The Ceed is Going - Runfer D'Hills
Can I ask a silly question? Given that the old Kia apparently fairly quickly went to "Ceed" ( sorry, it had to be done :) and the Ford has proven so problem free, why did you decide on another Kia rather than another Ford? Not that the Picanto is a bad car choice for the purpose you describe or anything but just curious really.
 KIA Cee'd - The Ceed is Going - Fullchat
That's a very good question. Overall my experience could be described as niggles rather than out and out reliability. I believe Kias are improving all the time and are reasonable value for the money. They get very little bad press. I decided to stay within the marque to get what I thought to be a good deal. The new car I believe will retain some value as they seem to be very popular with the young and those looking for small car motoring costs. Of course this will remain to be seen.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 20 Oct 13 at 23:30
 KIA Cee'd - The Ceed is Going - Dave
My old Renault has had fewer parts thrown at it over the last 11 years - and it's french!
 KIA Cee'd - The Ceed is Going - Zero
you know, reading the OP I was thinking he was going to try and sell the old Cee'd to us. Optimistic man I thought.
 KIA Cee'd - The Ceed is Going - Old Navy
That Ceed must have had a tough life, mine is on 48K, and has had the fuel tank strap job done, I have changed brake pads all round although the rears did not really need it, tyres , and that's it. I have two sets of speed bumps to get out of my street, live in an area with a speed bump obsessed council who don't repair potholes with any urgency and have not had any suspension repairs or problems, or even squeaks and rattles for that matter. My estate averages 42mpg around town and 50mpg at a cruise controled 70ish and Mrs ON drives like her broomstick is on fire, so it is not mimsed.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 21 Oct 13 at 08:13
Latest Forum Posts