Motoring Discussion > Motorway fuel prices. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 17

Motorway fuel prices. - Old Navy
I heard on the news this morning that motorway fuel prices are to be displayed on illuminated signs. Will it reduce the prices to near high street prices? Does anyone in their right mind (and who is paying for it themselves) buy fuel on a motorway?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 23 Oct 13 at 09:04
 Motorway fuel prices. - Roger.
No and No !
 Motorway fuel prices. - Meldrew
www.nearthemotorway.co.uk/default.htm This site gives one info on facilities within 5 minutes of many motorway junctions.
 Motorway fuel prices. - Old Navy
I don't drive for more than a couple of hours without a stop, avoid MSAs like the plague, and have seen people queuing on slip roads to get into a packed MSA when there are facilities near the next junction, usually a few minutes away. Madness!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 23 Oct 13 at 09:16
 Motorway fuel prices. - -
Always amazes me when i see cars that are obviously privately owned models often past their best being fuelled up at the motorway, though you have to remember the sat nav generation may not actually know where they are when fuel is needed.

You need a few years heavy road use behind you to know the likely easy alternatives, so ironically the youngsters who can least afford to get stung the most.

I know some company car users who won't fill up at the MSA's unless absolutely forced to (seldom need to buy fuel out for lorry now but when i did i too avoided them), they like many of us won't buy on principle because the MSA's are taking unfair advantage of a relatively captive market.

Running an LPG car means pre planning your routes and times, where an extra 10/13ppl might be an acceptable premium @130/140ppl, its a significant difference where 65ppl is the local indy outlets price.

Oddly enough those MSA's that do sell LPG don't usually load the price, maybe the extra profit is worked out on the same percentage as other fuel.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 23 Oct 13 at 09:21
 Motorway fuel prices. - Bromptonaut
I'm sure the fuel prices used to be required to be displayed on the MSA signs.

Requirement was presumably removed as part of a previous war on 'red tape'.

In France the prices are shown on dot matrix displays for next 'Aire' and the following two or three down the A/route. Prices are still 10+ cents a litre more than in the hypermarket or even the local Intermarche.

Why will it be different here?
 Motorway fuel prices, Whiplash, and MOT Price. - VxFan
>> I heard on the news this morning that motorway fuel prices are to be displayed
>> on illuminated signs.

Sort of, but it will also include other fuel stations as well for price comparison.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24633528

"there are plans to pilot fuel price comparison signs on major roads"
"The government wants to install a series of price comparison signs which will show the cost of fuel at all petrol stations along any given route."

Ministers have pledged to crack down on the "compensation culture" on claims for whiplash injuries.

The statutory maximum price of the MoT test for a car will be pegged at £54.85 until 2015.

Motorway fuel prices, Whiplash, and MOT Price. - Manatee
I'm sure it has been obligatory to display prices previously, I'd wondered what had changed. Some of the prices are outrageous. I'll come off the M6 at Carlisle tomorrow to fill up. I expect it will save at least 10p per litre.
 Motorway fuel prices, Whiplash, and MOT Price. - Cliff Pope
You pay for convenience(s) and a shop that sells snacks, papers etc.

And in my case, a rare filling point for LPG.
 Motorway fuel prices, Whiplash, and MOT Price. - Runfer D'Hills
I do try to avoid filling up at MSEs but if I'm in a hurry/concurrently need a pee or whatever then I will. I reckon I fill my tank a dozen or so times a month, if one of those is a motorway pump it doesn't make a huge difference to the total cost in the scheme of things. Plus or minus a fiver over plus or minus £600 worth really isn't significant.
 Motorway fuel prices, Whiplash, and MOT Price. - BiggerBadderDave
"I reckon I fill my tank a dozen or so times a month"

Cor blimey Humph. You spend more than an F1 team in a month!
 Motorway fuel prices. - Zero
>> Does anyone
>> in their right mind (and who is paying for it themselves) buy fuel on a
>> motorway?

Yeah. Cobham services on the M25 is the largest petrol station in the UK, underground tanks with a total capacity of 1 million litres of fuel serve 36 pumps (+6 high volume HGV pumps) - thats a total of 141 nozzles by the way - yet it still has queues waiting to fill up despite the 12p litre premium.

They also serve north of 300 litres of coffee a day (thats just the garage, not the services)
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 23 Oct 13 at 12:30
 Motorway fuel prices. - Dutchie
I fill up on the motorway when I have to.To the loo and a coffee all part of live

I hope Grangemouth refinery won't shut down we will be short of fuel.
 Motorway fuel prices. - BiggerBadderDave
"They also serve north of 300 litres of coffee a day (thats just the garage, not the services)"

I serve north of 10cc of sperm a day too.
 Motorway fuel prices. - Zero
you've measured your sperm output?
 Motorway fuel prices. - BiggerBadderDave
"you've measured your sperm output?"

Well, wifey's face has a wonderful, healthy skin complexion.
 Motorway fuel prices. - Bromptonaut
>> I serve north of 10cc of sperm a day too.

TMI, though IIRC school textbooks referred to between a teaspoon and a desertspoon full.
 Motorway fuel prices. - Meldrew
Not self-service I hope BBD?
Latest Forum Posts