Motoring Discussion > Car chargers. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 40

Car chargers. - Old Navy
The nearby railway station car park has recently had a couple of car charging points fitted. The Edinburgh IKEA car park has had the two disabled parking spaces nearest the shop door painted green and converted to car charging spaces. I have not seen any of them being used or any electric cars on the road.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 26 Oct 13 at 11:56
 Car chargers. - Zero
>> I have not seen any
>> of them being used or any electric cars on the road.

what comes first, the chicken or the egg.

no chargers, no cars. The cars will come with more chargers.
 Car chargers. - bathtub tom
They put one up near my town centre - it was vandalised.
 Car chargers. - R.P.
it was vandalised.

Anyone charged BT ?
 Car chargers. - Runfer D'Hills
No, not yet, but the Police say they are certain they have a positive sighting.
 Car chargers. - Zero
>> They put one up near my town centre - it was vandalised.

Are you positive? whats the current situation?
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 26 Oct 13 at 12:42
Oh no, what has he sparked off now?
 Car chargers. - Zero
He's presenting a pretty negative image of his ohm town.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 26 Oct 13 at 12:49
 Car chargers. - zookeeper
>> They put one up near my town centre - it was vandalised.
>>

thats sods i mean ohms law for you
 Car chargers. - Old Navy
>> The cars will come with more chargers.
>>

Are you going to buy one Z?
 Car chargers. - Zero
I have driven one, and like them, and if there were more chargers yes I would.

You wont catch me in scotland tho, let alone an Ikea car park.
 Car chargers. - Old Navy
>> I have driven one, and like them, and if there were more chargers yes I
>> would.
>>
>>
>> You wont catch me in scotland tho, let alone an Ikea car park.
>>

So no more train videos then, except near home.
>> You wont catch me in scotland tho, let alone an Ikea car park.

Probably wise. Not really recommended for bolshie English gtis at the best of times...

;-)
 Car chargers. - martint123
This may have something to do with it? (quote dated Feb 2013)

"A £37 million funding package for electric car charge points has been announced by the Government.

The Government has pledged to cover 75 per cent of the cost of thousands of new electric car charge points at people’s homes, on the streets, at railway stations and on the public sector estate.

Funding for the scheme comes from the Government’s £400 million commitment to increase the uptake of ultra-low emission vehicles and is available until April 2015"
 Car chargers. - -
Governments need reminding, hopefully at the ballot box, that they only distribute (throw about) OUR money, it isn't theirs, its our hard earned dosh.
>>The Edinburgh IKEA car park has had the two disabled parking spaces nearest the shop door painted green and converted to car charging

Aye, I remember going in there. It would indeed have been enough time to charge an electric car by the time we found our way out.

Funny places IKEAs, all that supposedly deeply cool stuff with names like Stigbordist Blomqvististist being bought by people called Wayne wearing tracksuits and football jerseys. And what's with those manky meatballs?
 Car chargers. - Zero
I despise Ikea in every way. I hate the trail round all the store to find the stuff you want, I hate the checkout and warehouse process, I hate the car parks, I hate the shoppers, I hate the names they give stuff, I hate the food, and I hate the fact they use weird rare expensive light bulbs in their lighting.

Apart from that I love the place.
 Car chargers. - Dave
"I hate the names they give stuff"

That's because they mean nothing to you, and are hard to pronounce. But if you speak Swedish, they're ok!
 Car chargers. - Manatee
I love IKEA but hate going there.
 Car chargers. - Fenlander
I would hate the real Ikea experience but the online one is very good and the value of some stuff is incredible.

Just had a delivery yesterday to finally complete all of the bedrooms in real oak veneer semi-fitted Ikea furniture. The oak look costs about £200 per fully fitted double wardrobe compared with £950 at John Lewis.
 Car chargers. - commerdriver
>> That's because they mean nothing to you, and are hard to pronounce. But if you
>> speak Swedish, they're ok!
>>
So what does Billy mean in Swedish then:-)
 Car chargers. - henry k
>> I despise Ikea in every way. I hate the trail round all the store to find the stuff you want,
>>
The trek to the nearest store is a pain but car parking space late in the evening is a bonus
Some of their beds are a non standard UK size so you then need to buy their fitted sheets.

>> Apart from that I love the place.
>>
At every visit I buy Orchids there as they seem to be THE cheapest around.

Some of the efforts are interesting in....
www.ikeahackers.net/
I will have to check if my effort has already been posted.
 Car chargers. - PeterS
Theres often a Nissan Leaf at the chartering point in Waitrose (Chichester), and I occasionally see another one on my way to work. I have seen a Twizzy a couple of times too - if they weren't so expensive I could be tempted...
we had a raffle at work to win a twizzy (£10 a ticket) plus the bonus of a free
charging point to use at work too, unfortunately we only did a three hour shift
on a friday morning so getting home for the weekend could have been interesting
I do "get" electric cars but the limited range would put me off. Can't see how anyone could know for sure they wouldn't occasionally / unexpectedly need it to go further than that. We all plan things but life has a habit of unplanning them at the most inappropriate moments.
 Car chargers. - rtj70
As a second car used for local travel (including commuting) I can see the appeal. But as a main car I don't see the appeal - in fact I don't think it would suit many. Take my normal week at the moment and an all electric car might be great... and then this weekend I did over 200 miles each way on a family visit.

I can see how the Vauxhall Ampera or the range-extended BMW i3 might be an option. But expensive.

My car though is normally parked on the road outside of the house. We have a garage but access is on the road to the side of the house/garden with a lockable gate. Wouldn't have anywhere to park and charge an electric vehicle. Our last house with a normal (shared) drive would have worked though. I suppose I could rig up power via the tree outside the side of the house :-)
 Car chargers. - PeterS
If I'm in the office than I'm just 12 miles or so from home. I'd live with the inconvenience of going home (half an hour even in a Twizzy I'd think) for the odd occasion I need to go somewhere at short notice, but only if the Twizzy itself was much cheaper. There's a 33% chance I'd be going that way anyway. But a Twizzy isn't a real car, so spending £7k on one doesn't makes sense. I reckon a £2,500 Twizzy (the batteries need to be OK after all) and a £530 A8 is the perfect combination ;-)
to be honest i cant see the point really, you still have to burn gas, oil, or uranium to feed its batteries
 Car chargers. - PeterS
I just think it'd be an interesting to frustrate the greenies - a nice 'eco' electric car (ignoring the realities...) for local use and then a thirsty V8 for longer journeys :-)
good car bad car
Here's something which sort of combines the concepts...

cars.aol.co.uk/2013/10/28/it-s-quadzilla-meet-the-250bhp-ferrari-engined-wazuma-v8f/
 Car chargers. - Alanovich
>>if they weren't so expensive I could be tempted...
>>

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310179323897/

Tempted yet? I could be.
 Car chargers. - Focusless
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310179323897/

"Nissan Leaf 5dr Auto 1.0" - a one litre electric motor? :)
The perils of compulsory drop down fields one surmises.

:-)

10k for a 2 year old C sector hatch isn't too shabby though, is it? Especially one that was 30k new rather than 20k.

Makes sense as a second car for a family, if you can budget 10k for a second car of course, which many folks seem able to do.
 Car chargers. - henry k
>> >> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310179323897/
>>
>> "Nissan Leaf 5dr Auto 1.0" - a one litre electric motor? :)
>>
Quite high mileage. I wonder what it was used for or was it a demo car?
A reasonable question, but if nothing else it shows that electric cars can be of use in some situations. This one must have been useful and useable to have covered those miles in 2 years.

I'm warming to the idea. Although I think the Vauxhall Ampera is the best compromise available - maybe in three years time when they've depreciated properly......
 Car chargers. - Baz
Will probably go for an older Prius at some point, the prices are fairly sensible. I'm not interested in any "green" credentials but as a roomy runabout with top notch reliability it might be worth a punt. Battery pack and motor well proven and a thriving spares industry if ever needed, which is unlikely. There are even companies springing up who can replace individual cells in the battery these days. Mpg average around 55 to 60 apparently.
Good call, Baz, I'd happily consider one as a second car also. My missus would love it - not too big, but enough room for kids/shopping, smooth, quiet, automatic transmisson and not too powerful (wouldn't be tempted to get another few speeding points........). Reliable and cheap to fuel as you say.
 Car chargers. - ....
>> Battery pack and motor well proven and a
>> thriving spares industry if ever needed, which is unlikely.
>>
Is that what they call an oxymoron ? A thriving spares industry which is not really needed...
 Car chargers. - Baz
It might be called Irish, as my mother used to say. You know what i meant though, plenty of scrap ones about these days!
 Car chargers. - Focusless
>> >> >> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310179323897/
>> >>
>> >> "Nissan Leaf 5dr Auto 1.0" - a one litre electric motor? :)
>> >>
>> Quite high mileage.

Might be a worry; HJ reports "23-9-2012: Nissan admitted that driving a Leaf more than 12,500 miles a year significantly reduces its battery capacity."
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/leaf-2010/
Latest Forum Posts