Motoring Discussion > Honda Civic UK - Garages... don't you just love them
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 3

Honda Civic UK - Garages... don't you just love them - Mapmaker
Mother took car (Y-reg Civic in very tidy condition owned since almost new, with about 85k on it)to garage with a 'funny noise'. Garage (where she's been taking her car(/my father used to take it) for probably twenty years) said something funny with the tracking on your two rear wheels, put new tyres on. They were only two years old, but she did - they've probably done 15k miles.

Noise still there, so she takes the car back.

Ah, it's a gearbox problem says the garage. £700 later... the noise has gone away.

I don't think I'd have spent that money myself.
 Honda Civic UK - Garages... don't you just love them - -
That model Civic (presumably the one that finsished in 2005) is IMO one of the best quality mass produced car ever made, i wouldn't worry about having to spend a bit on it, she won't find another car of comparison as well made as that.

However, i'd be looking for a proper mechanic for the future for her, how can even the most incompetent garage misdiagnose a gearbox problem as rear wheel alignment, thats bizarre.

Serviced my daughters 53 plate 2.0S Civic last weekend (in the rain after that glorious summer just gone but then dads an idiot), she mentioned when she left it that the fan belt was squealing at normal cruising speed but OK otherwise (no that didn't sound right to me either)...edge of front pads were down to touching metal on the considerable wear ridge on the discs, new pads and discs cured the fan belt squeak..;)

Aside from the oil filter which is in a right awkward spot, Civic is a lovely car to work on, to fit a new fan belt when needed simply lever the adjuster back (nothing to loosen) slip one off and one back on, best design i've ever seen, but dickens of a job to find an aftermarket to fit OE some £40.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 1 Nov 13 at 10:41
 Honda Civic UK - Garages... don't you just love them - Dave_
>> new pads and discs cured the fan belt squeak..

:)
 Honda Civic UK - Garages... don't you just love them - Fursty Ferret
Ah yes, Honda dealers...

My Accord was in for a recall item when I got a phone call telling me both front tyres were illegal. (They were approaching replacement, but nothing desperate).

"Ah", I sez, "the same tyres you passed at MOT two days ago without even an advisory?"

Line went very quiet. Shortly after I got two new tyres, gratis.
Latest Forum Posts