Motoring Discussion > Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bazzabear Replies: 22

Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - Bazzabear
Thinking ahead to when we have a baby and two dogs to transport, and this occurred to me.
Has anyone ever come across a product for dividing the boot? I'm talking specifically about a 156 SW, but the relatively low production numbers mean that the likelihood is I'll be looking at something generic.

The other thought I had, which is much less likely, but would work much better, is a second deck within the boot. This would allow pram and such to be slotted in beneath it, and the dogs to stand on top. They'd be much more comfortable if they were higher up anyway.

Assuming that a false floor product doesn't exist, how hard do you think it'd be to create something?
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - mikeyb
Not sure if its possible, but I think you may be underestimating the size of childrens prams and other accessories they need!
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - Zero
I am sure anyone handy with a jig saw, a tape measrue and some timber and plywood (or MDF) can knock up a solution.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - CGNorwich
www.dogcages.uk.com/dogguards_dividers.html

This sort of thing?
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - Netsur
Did not the 156SW have a smaller boot than the saloon?

Far too small for a baby, its kit and two dogs. You need a Berlingo!
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - Iffy
...You need a Berlingo!...

And that's just for the baby.
and give up all hope!

A berlingo in place of a 156! perlease!
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - Tigger
I use a dog guard and divider to split the boot into two. Keeps the dog away from the shopping! And when we're going away it allows me to load one side of the boot to the roof without any danger of it falling on the dog.
Exactly the sort of thing I was thinking Tigger. Can you tell me where you got yours from?
Bit of a fallacy. With the load cover pulled over, it's slightly smaller than the saloon. But there's nothing to stop you loading it higher than the cover.
That does look an interesting link, thank you.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - teabelly
You are pretty much going to have to choose whether to take the baby out or the dogs! Instead of a bravo you were looking at why not get a stilo multiwagon?? They have a large loadspace which is almost as big as the berlingo's. Seats also fold and move on the better spec models and you can get a drop down tailgate so the loadspace is flat and easier for dogs to climb into.

The amount of crap a baby seems to need is unreal. Gone are the days of the folding buggy made from deck chair material that was light enough to carry in one hand and which would fit at the back of the boot in most cars without filing it.

If you do create something you have to consider what would happen in the event of an accident. If the dogs are higher up then they are much more likely to be thrown into the main space of the vehicle. If they are lower down then they'll be retained by the seat backs.
If this idea doesn't come to fruition, then the dogs will go on the back seat in harnesses that buckle into the seat belt I think. This is only Mrs Bazza's second car after the Corsa, so she's not going to be happy in anything much bigger than the Bravo.

The 156 SW has a built in dog guard, so they won't be coming through to the passenger cell.

Did I mention the 2 dogs are Jack Russells? I can't remember whether I did. If not, it might explain the surprised tone of many of the replies so far!
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - IJWS14
Not for a 156 but . .

Skoda and VW do a false boot floor for the Golf / Octavia, two vertical side pieces and a 3 piece hinged floor. Fastens to the tie down loops.

Would not be very difficult to make somehting like that.
Last edited by: IJWS14 on Mon 7 Jun 10 at 12:41
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - The Nut
As the dogs are Jack Russells and you have a dog guard I would go for the false floor idea.

Should be fairly easy to build one yourself if you have the skills otherwise I would suggest contacting a company that plywood out the back of vans.
Perhaps you should have mentioned the dogs were little. I think most of us assumed labrador sized creatures.....

The stilo multiwagon isn't that much bigger than a bravo I don't think on the outside. It's just a normal 5 door stilo with a bigger overhang and higher roof line from what I remember.
I checked dimensions and the stilo multiwagon is 14' 10' by 5' 9"
The bravo is 14' 2" by 5' 10"

HJ does give the stilo a measly 1 star though....
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - Alanovich

>> HJ does give the stilo a measly 1 star though....
>>

Doesn't know what he's talking about. I had a Stlio Multiwagon (JTD diesel) and it was powerful, fun to drive, economical and reliable. Huge load area too. I'd still have it now if I hadn't needed to switch to automatic. The last of the type had the much praised Multijet engines, which HJ seems to rate highly in other, smaller FIATs which he approves of.

I've had three "large" FIATs in my time, which are supposed to all be utter dogs. Regata, Marea and Stilo. All have been robust, reliable, enjoyable cars.
>> Perhaps you should have mentioned the dogs were little. I think most of us assumed
>> labrador sized creatures.....

Sorry! Have posted about this elsewhere too, and failed to include all the salient data here!
stuff them in the glovebox. it might hide the yapping too.
My dogs do not yap. It's a very rare occurrence for them to even bark.

And have you seen a 156 glovebox? They might be small dogs, but they're not that small!
 Alfa Romeo 156 - Boot divider / False floor - Mapmaker
>>salient data

How big is the baby going to be?
Jeez a wailing baby, smelly nappies, puke covered seats, and the yapping rats.

Thats a joyous journey and no mistake. Buy a holdall and stuff them all in it.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 8 Jun 10 at 11:17
Latest Forum Posts