Motoring Discussion > Insurance start time/date? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 30

Insurance start time/date? - PhilW
Simple (!) question really. Son is in process of buying a new (ish) car. He is going to collect it from dealers next Monday afternoon. He has changed his insurance via Interweb thingy so that it starts at midnight on Monday. Mrs W told him on phone that midnight Monday means that he won't be covered on Monday afternoon because midnight Monday is 2400/midnight Monday/Tuesday. He insists that Midnight Monday is 2400 Sunday/Monday so will be covered at 1600 on Monday. I agree with Mrs W (I rarely do anything else!!). I suggested that he rang ins company but he insists he is correct.
Your opinion(s) please.
Ta
PhilW
 Insurance start time/date? - ....
00:00 Monday is the first minute of Monday until 23:59 when the next 00:00 rolls around it'll be Tuesday.
 Insurance start time/date? - Old Navy
If you don't have the minutes as a guide I would say that midnight Monday is at the end of Monday, as in Monday night.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 5 Nov 13 at 20:13
I see your point but if you told me to pick you up from an airport at midnight Monday, I would turn up at 23.59 Monday not 00.01 Sunday. Would you be hanging on for 23.58 hours for me to pick you up?
I see your side too, we are taught day and night, day comes first then night but there is only one midnight in a day and one midday in a day. Midnight is when both hands are pointing to twelve and that is when the calendar clicks forwards which makes it midnight for the new day to my mind.

It explains why insurance policies which start at midnight are documented as 00:01 and end at 23:59 the following year to avoid confusion.
 Insurance start time/date? - Runfer D'Hills
I think you are correct in so far as midnight is conventionally a term equivalent to 24.00hrs on a given date. So in that instance the cover is indeed from the start of Tuesday.

However, I suspect it's more to do with how your son has verbally expressed this to your wife and what he means is that he has arranged cover starting from 24.00hrs on Sunday. (or 00.01 hrs Monday )

Worth him checking though I'd have to agree.
Runfer,
Mrs W says that he said that insurance starts at midnight Monday which means his insurance starts immediately after 2400 Sunday night . She disagreed! And who am I to disagree with her! I still think he should ring ins company to check - simplest solution?
P
 Insurance start time/date? - Runfer D'Hills
>> I still think he should ring ins company to check - simplest solution?

It would seem wise.
 Insurance start time/date? - No FM2R

Midnight Monday to me would be the end of Monday. But he may have just said it "wrong" or your wife heard it "wrong".

>> I still think he should ring ins company to check - simplest solution?

Unless he's already got something in writing then that would seem the safe course.

Would seem silly not to, really.
 Insurance start time/date? - sherlock47
There is something in the back of my mind that says some Insurance companies do not use 24.00 for this very reason. Cover will start at at 00.01 on a specified date taking away the possibility of confusion. I believe that airlines use the same thinking?

On the description that you have given, I believe that you are correct and that son is wrong.
Last edited by: sherlock1947 on Tue 5 Nov 13 at 20:19
 Insurance start time/date? - Zero
My policy ends on 23:59 one day, and the next one starts on 00:01 the next day.

At 00:00 I am uninsured!

Insurance start time/date? - Skip
>> There is something in the back of my mind that says some Insurance companies do
>> not use 24.00 for this very reason. Cover will start at at 00.01 on a
>> specified date taking away the possibility of confusion.

That is my understanding too.
 Insurance start time/date? - -
Can you read the document in print or online, if it gives the Mondays actual date unless its states a time of day i would expect it to start at 00:01 Monday morning.

I too think this is confusion in explanation.
 Insurance start time/date? - Fullchat
My interpretation is that there are 24 hours in a day. The day starts at 00.01 and finishes at 24.00 which is midnight and 12 hours after 12.00 which is midday.
 Insurance start time/date? - CGNorwich
So your day is 23 hours and 59 minutes long?
Thanks for all the replies.
Safest bet is to get Mrs W to TELL him to ring ins co and ask "Am I covered for 1600 Monday". He won't disobey MrsW though she says he's as stubborn as I used to be when he thinks he is right! That's pretty stubborn!
But after 35 years I realise she is ALWAYS right!! My stubbornness has declined to submission and "OK, I'm sure you're right " over the years!!
P
 Insurance start time/date? - sherlock47
>> My interpretation is that there are 24 hours in a day. The day starts at
>> 00.01 and finishes at 24.00 which is midnight and 12 hours after 12.00 which is
>> midday.
>>
>>

day starts at 00.00 !

Last edited by: sherlock1947 on Tue 5 Nov 13 at 20:41
Set your computer clock to 23:59:45 and watch what happens to the date one second after 23:59:59.
 Insurance start time/date? - maltrap
What date does the insurance start ? If it's Monday 11/11/2013 it will commence at 00:01 on Monday.
 Insurance start time/date? - jc2
If he's collecting in the afternoon,tell that to the insurance company;mine was happy to put 16.00 on the certificate which they sent me before I had collected the car.Excellent service.
 Insurance start time/date? - Manatee
>> What date does the insurance start ? If it's Monday 11/11/2013 it will commence at
>> 00:01 on Monday.

Exactly what I think.
 Insurance start time/date? - Bromptonaut
Mine normally starts at 00:01 presumably, as others say, to avoid confusion. In past though I've had it start at 13:15 or something like that - a leagacy of insuring first car in 1982 and cover note issued from 'now' in brokers office.

The use of 12:00 am/pm is bugbear of mine when used in TV guides or for that matter in office notices about stuff like IT downtime. At noon and midnight there is no am/pm and what's wrong with just using noon/midday or midnight except for saving a handful of key depressions. Grrrrrr

And breathe!!
>> Mine normally starts at 00:01 presumably, as others say, to avoid confusion. In past though
>> I've had it start at 13:15 or something like that - a leagacy of insuring
>> first car in 1982 and cover note issued from 'now' in brokers office.
>>
>> The use of 12:00 am/pm is bugbear of mine when used in TV guides or
>> for that matter in office notices about stuff like IT downtime. At noon and midnight
>> there is no am/pm and what's wrong with just using noon/midday or midnight except for
>> saving a handful of key depressions. Grrrrrr
>>
>> And breathe!!

IT downtime, even in the Civil Service, is rarely at midday.
 Insurance start time/date? - Bromptonaut
>> IT downtime, even in the Civil Service, is rarely at midday.

Don't get me started on IT..

Those of us who need to log on over a weekend or run overnight processes appreciate calrity!
 Insurance start time/date? - Mapmaker
Even trains never leave at 00.00 (or 24.00). Always timed at 23.59 or 00.01 so as to eliminate this confusion. I find it difficult to believe that your son's online insurance certificate does not make this clear.
24:00 does not exist in Railway Land.

The railway day is 00:00 to 23:59. Trains can and do depart at 00:00
 Insurance start time/date? - Cliff Pope
I have two cars whose insurance starts at 00.00, and one at "noon". It doesn't say whether that is GMT or BST.
Thanks all!!
"I find it difficult to believe that your son's online insurance certificate does not make this clear"
It possibly does - it's just that he told MrsW that car was insured "from Midnight Monday"
Not had time to check with him - just got back from a long day - was every Motorway in the country, and A55 and A500 blocked by accidents from 4pm this aft?

>> - was every Motorway in the country, and A55 and A500 blocked by accidents from
>> 4pm this aft?

Yes.
Thought so - took me ages to get from Llandudno Junction to E Midlands. Lucky I wasn't going other direction - huge queues on A55 going east from Chester ish. Huge queues on N-bound M6 from Stoke North and on M1 from J23 northbound. At least I was only delayed by an hour or so........driving conditions pretty awful though - fog, heavy rain, loads of spray so just got to take it easy, leave plenty of space in front and be patient. Tomorrow will be a better day won't it???? Must be - delivering a Bentley Continental to Holland!! A little adventure ;-)
P
 Insurance start time/date? - movilogo
The 24:00 never exists. It is actually 00:00 instead.

The day runs from 00:00:00 to 23:59:59
Latest Forum Posts